Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ziggy, good luck to both of you and if it is what you both want, then I really hope it happens.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #322
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Ziggy, good luck to both of you and if it is what you both want, then I really hope it happens.
She feels really energized about this and for the first time it feels like she knows what she wants to do "when she grows up" -- even if it means "growing up" at age 41.

We'd likely have to relocate somewhere in the region, and while I reserve the right to "veto" any place I really, really don't want to live, I don't suspect it would come to that. And as far as my w*rk goes, all I need is high speed Internet and a telephone, and we'd likely be within a couple hours of a company office if I had to go in for some reason.

And as for what I want, mostly for her to be happy... but consistent with me being able to pull the plug at a reasonable age and maybe even "retire" before she does. And if she liked her work, she's made it clear to me she's okay with that.

We shall see. Again, several hoops remain but one of the biggest hoops was navigated successfully last week. And I don't want to get ahead of ourselves.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:28 PM   #323
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Zig, have you thought this through completely? Are you going to be able to keep your nose clean and fulfill your obligations as the parson's proper, upstanding spouse?
Old 05-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #324
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Zig, have you thought this through completely? Are you going to be able to keep your nose clean and fulfill your obligations as the parson's proper, upstanding spouse?
Also maybe you would have to sell your stone house and live in a parsonage.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #325
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
With a bag over his head.
Per your suggestion, I have changed my avatar.

But it will be only temporary, as I like my earlier one better.

PS. Did someone mention Edith Piaf? She was a favorite of my mom, but was really before my time. I am still young, you know?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #326
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Also maybe you would have to sell your stone house and live in a parsonage.
Not necessarily. We could keep it as a rental, and possibly even to my FIL within the next couple of years as he's hoping to move down this way closer to us.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #327
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And as far as my w*rk goes, all I need is high speed Internet and a telephone, and we'd likely be within a couple hours of a company office if I had to go in for some reason.
It does not look like your wife's income will match your current salary, so it appears that you are planning for a simpler lifestyle if you want to ER. But, it appears your job isn't too bad, and not having to commute is a big plus. Why not hanging on a bit more to beef up your portfolio for a higher safety margin?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #328
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It does not look like your wife's income will match your current salary, so it appears that you are planning for a simpler lifestyle if you want to ER. But, it appears your job isn't too bad, and not having to commute is a big plus. Why not hanging on a bit more to beef up your portfolio for a higher safety margin?
I think you misunderstood. I can work from home wherever I have a high speed Internet connection and a phone.

I plan to w*rk for a few more years if they'll have me. I merely said this *could* accelerate when I can pull the plug. But until then, I'm not tied to where we live by my j*b.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, really...
Old 05-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #329
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ziggy,
spiritual journey is priceless - good luck to both of you.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #330
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday, consumer sentiment was reported UP.
Today, durable goods order UP.
In my before-tax account, I just sold some boring consumer staples stocks to buy a 3X technology ETF.

No, it is not that radical. In fact, it's only as a lark, and less than 0.5% of portfolio.

PS. In my after-tax account, I am also on margin but less than 1% of portfolio. Moemg (that gutsy lady) may come along shortly to make fun of my timid market moves.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #331
Give me a forum ...

Well.........DOW finished under 10k.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #332
Give me a forum ...

Looks like Steve O was right - headed to 8500 over the next two days... It COULD happen.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #333
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Looks like Steve O was right - headed to 8500 over the next two days... It COULD happen.
Stop encouraging it.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #334
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
She feels really energized about this and for the first time it feels like she knows what she wants to do "when she grows up" -- even if it means "growing up" at age 41.
It's worderful you're supporting her Zig. I respect her wanting to do something to help people even though the monetary rewards are not great. The world could use more people like your DW
Old 05-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #335
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Stop encouraging it.
But I really wanna poke the bear!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #336
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here you go...

Old 05-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #337
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is that similar to screwing the pooch?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #338
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Is that similar to screwing the pooch?
Riskier. But less likely to land you in jail.

Ha
Old 05-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #339
Give me a forum ...

OK, so my earlier gains of the day evaporated at the market close.

Down 0.11% in MF, and 0.13% in my larger individual equity portion. Overall only 0.09% down. S&P down 0.57%. So, I can claim I beat the market.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #340
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is great news. I have about run out of tax deferred space for bonds and had been chasing my AA for months. Now I can go back to buying equities!

DD