Join Early Retirement Today

Health Care Costs for Couples in Retirement Rise to an Estimated $245,000
Old 10-07-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Health Care Costs for Couples in Retirement Rise to an Estimated $245,000

While many things get better with age, new research shows the cost of health care isn't one of them. Fidelity's Retirement Health Care Cost Estimate reveals that a couple, both aged 65 and retiring this year, can now expect to spend an estimated $245,000 on health care throughout retirement, up from $220,000 last year1.

https://www.fidelity.com/about-fidel...etirement-rise

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

And I assume that doesn't cover long term care. Or does it? After reading the article, I couldn't figure that out.

I was reading Tuesday and Wednesday issues of Wall Street Journal. There was a discussion of how pharma companies are jacking up drug prices, so even as usage falls to half, their revenue is actually doubling inspite of the fall in usage.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC-1982 View Post
And I assume that doesn't cover long term care. Or does it? After reading the article, I couldn't figure that out.
Time for new glasses? From the article cited, second paragraph:

"The estimate assumes enrollment in Medicare health coverage but does not include the added expenses of nursing home or long-term care."
Old 10-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Time for new glasses?
Quite possible.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Articles like this remind me of why I'm pleased that our FIRE situation is pretty conservative. I can give up a vacation, postpone a new car or drink cheap beer if I have to. But darn, I don't want to ever need some $$$ to spend on a family health issue and not have it. That would just kill me.......

I agree with the article that it's likely that OOP costs for geezer health care will be rising going forward.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
DW and I have both been on Medicare for a little over three years, and during that time the total billed amount of our medical care was about $31.5K.

We're pretty healthy but cataract surgery bumped it up a lot in one year.

Still, that's an average of over $10K per year and projected out over an optimistic 30 years into the future it tallies pretty well with Fido's estimate.

OTOH, the total amount paid to those medical care providers was only about one third the billed amount. So (as always) the truth lies somewhere in between.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've got $10K a year budgeted for two.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #8

Sounds about right, $10,000 a year for two over a 25 year retirement...
Old 10-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #9

I had thought I had heard similar amounts before. I think in 2010 it was $250k.
So it doesn't sound all that bad if you've been listening to fidelity estimates. @54 and expecting to replace a pacemaker every 8-12 years.... I bet I could be on the high side.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #10

This year we expect our medical spending to be @14K due to extensive dental work. Our budget is 12K for the two of us.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:29 PM   #11

245 seems very reasonable for a 30+ year retirement

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-08-2015, 12:47 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
245 seems very reasonable for a 30+ year retirement
More like 20-22 years. Married, retired at 65, life expectancy - male 85, female 87.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:13 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I know everyone's situation is different and I sympathize with those experiencing health issues, but since the FIDO information deals with averages, the CDC estimates that 75% of healthcare spending is largely on conditions that are preventable. Doesn't take a lot either; walk regularly, don't smoke, moderate drinking, maintain a healthy weight getting 5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnzw_rui View Post
More like 20-22 years. Married, retired at 65, life expectancy - male 85, female 87.
If you plan for average life expectancy, you might get lucky and unlucky at the same time. Live longer, but out of money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nocash.jpg (27.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
If you plan for average life expectancy, you might get lucky and unlucky at the same time. Live longer, but out of money.
The $245,000 estimate from the Fidelity figures are based on married, retire at 65, life expectancy - male 85, female 87 so it's not for a 30-year retirement, just 20-22. It seems to average out to ~$1,000 per month so cost for 30 years will be ~$350,000.

Indeed, I'm personally planning for a 100-year life expectancy (or around 45 years of retirement).
Old 10-08-2015, 09:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyinglife102 View Post
walk regularly, don't smoke, moderate drinking, maintain a healthy weight getting 5-7 servings of fruits and vegetables.
good advice but that sounds pretty brutal
Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #17

Our budget includes $18k per year for both of us. Includes dental, expensive physicals every year,etc. This is in Canada. Americans have much bigger health care issues. Late life health expenses (nursing home) expenses can run $7-8k per month in Toronto. I would imagine could be even more expensive in the US?
Old 10-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I'm always at the low end of these kind of surveys. Our only medical expenses are the actual Medicare premium expenses that are deducted from our SS monthly income stream and any dental expenses, which run a few hundred $ annually so far. TFL pays for the balance.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #19

My experience with medicare has been managing my 93yr old mothers bills ( I'm still 10yrs away from it ). She does have retiree health plan as secondary. I just don't see these numbers. she has paid very little since being on medicare. No way could she have paid $200K+ in medical expenses... she has never seen that amount of money.

So if the couple is paying $200k+ does that mean they are running up bills in the range of $1.2M ( assuming they pay 20% and medicare is 80% )
Old 10-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #20

There have been a few discussions on the Fidelity estimate for retirement health care. Their methodology is not public so the number has not been scrutinized, but it does get a lot of press. From a prior thread (here) , one reference to their calculation (here)
Quote:
As part of the estimate, Fidelity looked at monthly expenses associated with Medicare Part B and D premiums, co-payments, co-insurance and deductibles, such as for doctors' office visits and outpatient services. The estimate takes into account out-of-pocket costs for things such as vision and hearing exams, eyeglasses and hearing aids.
The Fidelity number is a possibility but we know it cannot be an average because we know that a large part of the senior population does not have the income and assets needed for that level of spending.