Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Health Care for Retirees Eliminated
Old 05-09-2005, 07:57 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
I agree, and the blood of the sick who died needlessly is on the hands of the greedy who drive up costs for no good reason.
Whoa! LIghten up dude! Capitalism is the "unknown ideal" and would
top anything yet devised in terms of solving our problems. Trickle-down is
more than a slogan, it is a fact. Alas, the libs won't buy it and we will all reap a bitter harvest as a result.

JG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2005, 08:02 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

JG, maybe the libs won't buy it but nobody, repub or dem is selling it either, and you know that!

Old 05-09-2005, 08:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill
JG, maybe the libs won't buy it but nobody, repub or dem is selling it either, and you know that!* *
I agree completely.

JG
Old 05-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think I agree with the agreement, whatever it is.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:30 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Maybe not.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:48 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
A "free market" ain't happening, at least not in this country.* We are
going as fast as we can in the opposite direction IMHO.

JG
The last thing that the major U.S. Corporations want is a free market. That is why they contribute big bucks to political campaigns. Big Oil is currently running the country and they currently have record profits.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:58 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Whoa! LIghten up dude!
Ok. Don't worry. Be happy.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Here's a little humor - I used to have an old Scientific American Handbook bought at a garage sale.

Among the trival data was a turn of the century(1912) survey about the best paid professions:

1.Engineers
2.Dentists
3.Lawyers
4.Doctors

Heh, heh, heh, heh, eh

Now that is funny!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:29 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

A major part of the problem lies within ourselves; we are spoiled as a society with regards to our health care and the mechanism through which it is paid for. A previous poster mentioned what would happen if suddenly the corporations didn't offer health insurance as a benefit.....I'd say we'd be more prudent with how we "waste" our health care dollars. As an example, how many people go to the doctor for every little ache and pain that they wake up with and expect the insurance to pick up the tab for our outlay of the $15-40 co-pay. Long gone are the days of treating a sore throat with salt water gargles, aspirin or tylenol, and hot tea ....no, we must have the latest, most expensive newly marketed antibiotic to treat the virus that it is. Instead of eating "properly"and in moderation and avoiding all the "Biggie Size" fast food, we gluttonous Americans would rather take expensives pills for our acquired diabetes and high blood pressure and not exercise since that would require too much effort and time....sooooo we PAY the price and then blaim the insurance companies. If we'd stop eating our lard ladened diets we wouldn't need the $20 K quadruple bypass and stents and the cardiovascular rehab and time-off that goes with it ......enough said
Old 05-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I guess I'm wired wrong. I hate going to the doctor. Hell, he gave me a form to go get a fasting blood test 6 months ago and its still sitting on my desk.

I have a lot of trouble with that 'fasting' part...by the time I remember I'm supposed to go, I've got 2 cups of coffee in me. Without the coffee, it never occurs to me...
Old 05-09-2005, 11:43 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I have two coworkers who are a combined ~250 lbs. overweight. One was saying to the other, "man, my snoring/sleep apnea is getting so bad, I wake up gasping for breath at night!"

The other replies, "oh yeah, I had that, went to the doctor and got a big ass breathing machine I hook up to my face every night, pushes the air right through that pack of hot dogs that passes for my neck!"

O.K., so that wasn't an exact quote, but the thought of say, LOSING WEIGHT, never occured to them.

If health insurance was more like car insurance, i.e., you only used it when the cost would crunch your budget, we'd be better off.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:24 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill
The other replies, "oh yeah, I had that, went to the doctor and got a big ass breathing machine I hook up to my face every night, pushes the air right through that pack of hot dogs that passes for my neck!"
They're called CPAPs.... Imagine hooking that thing up after your hot date*

Old 05-10-2005, 12:35 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

I would anticipate lots of exclusions unless government got involved and said policies had to cover x, y and z.* There is some of this going all already, mostly on a state by state basis.
This is similar to the market for medicare supplemental insurance. I am starting to look into that, since I will be eligible within the next year.

I believe the only reason the 65 and over market is more rational than the health insurance market as a whole is that this group was formerly uninsured, and thus provided almost no revenue for the medical-insurance-hospital cabal.

The principles governing Medicare should be ported down the age scale; maybe by starting with children under 18. Premiums should be mandatory, and paid by increasing taxes, and then offering offsetting tax credits so that all could buy it. The IRS already exists as a low cost efficient collection agent; just fold medial insurance into the tax system. If any of the idiots in Washjington can understand foreign languages we might get lots of hints as to what to do and what not to do, as most of the world has raionalized their health delivery systems.

No country has medical care than costs anywhere near as much as ours. Bodies are pretty much the same the world over; so this cost gap means that our system could be made much more efficient. And with no loss in outcomes, since the USA is pretty low on any international ranking or health indices. We are easily bested even by some countries with per cap GDP less than one half of ours.

Not every market is free or even can be free. And as I think Cut-Throat said, the last thing any business person wants is a free market. Sick and frightened people willing to pay whatever they can get their hands on for their child's or husband's or wife's survival. Ah, a dream come true for the "Health Care" industry!

Reminds me of a story I read recently about a woman in Bangladesh I believe, trying to sell one of her eyeballs to get money to care for a sick baby.

Mikey
Old 05-10-2005, 06:51 AM   #54

Reminds me of the bar scene in 'Star Wars'. Also reminds me
of an "internet date" I had back when I was single. For
those single and looking...........always get an up-to-date photo

JG
Old 05-10-2005, 07:26 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
I guess I'm wired wrong.* I hate going to the doctor.* Hell, he gave me a form to go get a fasting blood test 6 months ago and its still sitting on my desk.

I have a lot of trouble with that 'fasting' part...by the time I remember I'm supposed to go, I've got 2 cups of coffee in me.* Without the coffee, it never occurs to me...
Well, if you're weird, so am I. I have "test kits" laying around unused,
prescriptions I never filled, and appointments I never kept. I'm happy that
good health care is available (somewhere). It's just that most of what has
afflicted me over my lifetime has not been helped much by all of the time and
money spent on the problem. I learned a lot, but as far as cures and relief
from symptoms................not much in the way of positive results. This is in no
way an indictment of the medical profession. When you need them, you need
them.

JG
Old 05-10-2005, 07:49 AM   #56

Don't like going to the doctor. Don't like taking pills. Never have. And, essentially, I've had free medicine from military/corp sources for 45 years. After 10 years of being cajoled, I finally started taking blood pressure pills. I'm still not convinced I have it, as my monitor at home reads normal 3 out of 4 times.

I do believe in preventive medicine, like eating right, lots of exercise, keeping weight down, and some vitamins. I get a physical yearly; due this month, in fact. It's usually painless, until he puts on that glove.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 08:04 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Don't like going to the doctor.* Don't like taking pills.* Never have.* *And, essentially, I've had* free medicine from military/corp sources for 45 years. After 10 years of being cajoled, I finally started taking blood pressure pills.* I'm still not convinced I have it, as my monitor at home reads normal 3 out of 4 times.

I do believe in preventive medicine, like eating right, lots of exercise, keeping weight down, and some vitamins.* I get a physical yearly;* due this month, in fact.* It's usually painless, until he puts on that glove.*
I've had many a physician comment on my excellent prostate. Nice to have a
feature left which inpires compliments, its location notwithstanding

JG
Old 05-10-2005, 09:31 AM   #58

About 5 years ago, I started extensive regular excercising (weightlifting, cycling)and found a cardiologist instead of a internist to do my annual checkup. Besides the normal exams and lab tests , he gave me a an echo gram and stress test which was performed in his office. The insurance covered the $2k in cardio-vascular tests that he charged. The first time for the tests was because I just started exercising. Sounded logical. The following year he had me do it again. The 2nd time was because I was heavily exercising and he thought it was necessary. The 3rd year when he wanted me to take these tests again, I asked him why, he gave me a unsatisfactory answer and was very annoyed when I refused to take them. Even though the insurance would have covered it, I didn't like the idea that (1) I would have had to injest a radioactive material as he upgraded his test, (2) it would have cost me 2 half days and (3) it seemed like a waste of money.
I figured unless I have a concern, I would take a stress test every 3 or 4 years since my BP is perfect, my resting pulse is under 50 and I am bicycling 4k to 6k a year.

MJ
Old 05-10-2005, 10:22 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

M, good for you I too don't believe we need test to confirm what we already know:that we are healthy. Great job getting going with the excersie program. I too fell thaere are way too many test given. I say damn g......d the medical man. might be showing my era.

Runnerr

As for fasting .black coofee is ok just no milk or sugar. stright black
Old 05-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow MJ . Unless things have changed in the last half hour when I was out at lunch, there is no indication for routine/regular exercise stress tests, especially those augmented by injected materials. Especially in an athlete. How would he have explained to a court if you had a life-threatening reaction to the injectate, especially in the context of two normal studies in the two prior years?