Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciledian View Post
Is this the employer's total cost or does it include what the employee pays?
Quote:
Q6. What amount should the employer report on the Form W-2 for health coverage? The amount the employer paid? The amount the employee paid? Or both?

A. In general, the amount reported should include both the portion paid by the employer and the portion paid by the employee
Employer-Provided Health Coverage Informational Reporting Requirements: Questions and Answers

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Though I have always wished Americans had a better grasp of what HC costs really are (vs their out of pocket costs) - it's hard to believe it's that simple (below), I am sure I'm not connecting the dots for what's to come (aside from taxable/non-taxable).
Quote:
Q1. Does the cost of an employee’s health care benefits shown on the Form W-2 mean that the benefits are taxable to the employee?
A. No. There is nothing about the reporting requirement that causes or will cause excludable employer-provided health coverage to become taxable. The purpose of the reporting requirement is to provide employees useful and comparable consumer information on the cost of their health care coverage.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 02-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That link and this one posted earlier, should answer most of the questions on the thread.
Form W-2 Reporting of Employer-Sponsored Health Coverage

That said, whenever "governmentese" enters the picture, ya always have to wonder about ulterior motives.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Though I have always wished Americans had a better grasp of what HC costs really are (vs their out of pocket costs) - it's hard to believe it's that simple (below), I am sure I'm not connecting the dots for what's to come (aside from taxable/non-taxable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
That link and this one posted earlier, should answer most of the questions on the thread.
Form W-2 Reporting of Employer-Sponsored Health Coverage

That said, whenever "governmentese" enters the picture, ya always have to wonder about ulterior motives.
Conspiracy theories about health care reporting?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Still on payroll from former employer for consulting. My 12DD is $18,205.00. I think next year there may be a 12EE that says tax on 12DD!
Thats impossible...Pres. O says he will not raise taxes on middle class...I see just limit deductions that not raising taxes in DC talk....bunk
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not at all in my case. I realize you know more about ACA than almost anyone else here, you're an admired resource.

It's just not clear to me how exchanges may factor in, and what dis/incentives employers who currently provide HC will have/not have to drop coverage and 'encourage' employees to use exchanges. And of course what HC will cost after 2014. How subsidies, exclusion (organized labor recent statements), uninsured (young & not), cost control measures (or lack thereof) will all shake out isn't as clear to me as it may to others. A lot of what I read is jumping to conclusions, at least I'm alert enough to recognize that.

Maybe I'm making this more complicated than necessary, but it doesn't seem so...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 02-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Denigration of observations consistent with the facts?
Old 02-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #88

Thanks folks, we believe this thread has now run its course.

Closed Thread