Join Early Retirement Today
Re: Health insurance?
Old 01-18-2004, 05:10 AM   #21

Hello! I have never been to Mass., one of the few states I've missed. I picture it as kind of a Marxist
state, based partly I confess on who they send to
the Senate. But, I digress. I was faced with the same
problem, i.e. couldn't find (and/or afford) insurance in the
state where I was residing, and yet knew of a nearby
state where I could get cheap coverage. I could have
moved easily but opted to stay put and now have
coverage that we like, although it has loopholes.
My opinion is that your theory would work, but I would
also want a Va. drivers license, voters card, license plates, bank account, etc.
to firm up residency. Otheriwise, you might get your policy and then have it challenged in the
event of a big claim. It's a lot of fussing, but as you point out, for $800 a month it may be worth it.

John Galt
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2004, 09:22 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As John says, make sure you firmly establish your place of residence. I read through my old insurance company's terms and conditions, and one is that if it is discovered that any statements made during application (which would include place of residence) that turn out to be false enables them to not only refuse future treatment, but you may be required to pay for any past treatment performed.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:19 PM   #23

I have Unicare 2000 for both my (2) kids and wife. I bought it directly as I am not employed at this time and not sure if I will go back, hence my review of this site.
The monthly costs are not low but they are manageable.
I have a high deductible which came into play recently when my daughter fell and broke her wrist. I was getting bills from the ER, the XRAY diagnostic firm and
then the Orthopedist who spent 10 minutes with my daughter and charged us like we were there a week .

In any case, while I had to pay a sizable bill (in total) it was not as high as was billed to me because Unicare would not permit it. In other words, you only pay what they consider appropriate. For example, if the Ortho billed me $2500 and Unicare said the procedure should only cost 1800, then you only are required to pay $1800.
Lastly, if your end up paying $2000 in total bills, you might think that your dedcutible has been met for the year BUT not all of what is paid for goes towards
the deductible. For example, some expenses or portions they don't cover, so you end up having to pay for it with no benefit toward your deductible.

Bottom line is that Unicare was OK to work with and I had used them under a previous employer under a better plan without concern or any problems. Now that I am buying it myself, I am far more sensitive to cost and return. They are a big outfit and accepted in many places but they are big for a reason. Like any HMO or PPO, they dictate what they will pay to the doctors and hospitals and on the other hand, you'll find they don't cover all that you wouild like but the main thing is that you (I) am trying to avoid the catastrophic situation.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-16-2004, 02:18 PM   #24 Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Thanks, LTS.

Health insurance is not an easy situation for ER. We finally went to a catastrophic plan for my wife, and VA coverage for me. Fortunately(?) I had a service-connected disability that makes me eligible for their full services.

Unfortunately, the fact that so much health insurance is chanelled though employers means that individual coverage is not a very big industry, and there isn't the competition for the customer as there should be. I wish it was like long distance service or cell phones!

Often uninformed, seldom undecided.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote

health insurance