Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Health Insurance
Old 08-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 48
Health Insurance

Just got word three months after applying and 8 days after the end of my health insurance coverage that my wife will not be covered under the health insurance I am trying to get from Blue Cross-Blue Shield.* She has some pre-existing conditions but nothing I (or her doctor) considers serious..some blood pressure, cholesterol issues.* BC-BS referred me to the state's CHIP (which BC-BS administers), and we are still eligible for the COBRA through my previous employer.* I think CHIP cost is 135% of usual costs of insurance (which is not cheap).* Anyone have any experience or recommendations regard COBRA, CHIP or altneratives?* *My view is one more evidence that health insurance in this country is broken.* Three months to get an answer (and contrary to the one I got informally in the inquiry before retirement).* Thanks in advance.
__________________

__________________
bookman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-10-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Re: Health Insurance

A reply that would be useful to you depends on your state of residence. In some states, coming off Cobra you are eligible for standard rate individual policies without being underwritten. In other states this may not be true.

So Cobra might or might not be useful to you. It only lasts 18 months. Is this enough to get you to Medicare?

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is online now   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,119
Re: Health Insurance

Broken health care system usa? What? Really?

Hey we get what we deserve, big health insurance companies in business to MAKE MONEY!

Both parties stink dems and repubs, they all have health care and really do not give darn about the rest of the population.

Your wife SHOULD be covered PERIOD!

You should have medical insurance

We all should have medical coverage here in the greatest country on earth right?
__________________
newguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-10-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 48
Re: Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
A reply that would be useful to you depends on your state of residence. In some states, coming off Cobra you are eligible for standard rate individual policies without being underwritten. In other states this may not be true.

So Cobra might or might not be useful to you. It only lasts 18 months. Is this enough to get you to Medicare?

Ha
Nope, It will not get to me to Medicare.* About five years short.

Thanks
__________________
bookman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-10-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,567
Re: Health Insurance

Quote:
We all should have medical coverage here in the greatest country on earth right
Now wait a minute. Don't blame freemarket insurance companies. *If you cant afford insurance all it means is you're not striving hard enough and achieving enough to deserve it. At least that's the Business Model.

And where does it say in the Constitution that we all should have medical insurance, anyway? And by the same token where does it say in the Constitution that we all shouldn't be able to have it? (They never answer that question?)

Reliable, affordable medical insurance. It's the American DREAM! So, keep dreamin'

__________________
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 48
Re: Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Broken health care system usa? What? Really?

Hey we get what we deserve, big health insurance companies in business to MAKE MONEY!

Both parties stink dems and repubs, they all have health care and really do not give darn about the rest of the population.

Your wife SHOULD be covered PERIOD!



You should have medical insurance

We all should have medical coverage here in the greatest country on earth right?

I agree. *Hard to understand it all. *Thirty some years ago when I was in graduate school I did a paper on national health insurance. *At that time Ted Kennedy was pushing it and some observers thought something would happen in the next session of Congress. * Well, you know it did not. *Just read the book "Bait and Switch" *and recommend it. *Health insurance does a good job of chaining people to jobs and feeding a multibillion dollar industry. *Oh well, this thread soon could become a political tirade (billions for a war in Iraq but we cannot afford national health insurance!!!] and I just need some practical advice. *
__________________
bookman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 48
Re: Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz
Now wait a minute. Don't blame freemarket insurance companies. *If you cant afford insurance all it means is you're not striving hard enough and achieving enough to deserve it. At least that's the Business Model.

And where does it say in the Constitution that we all should have medical insurance, anyway? And by the same token where does it say in the Constitution that we all shouldn't be able to have it? (They never answer that question?)

Reliable, affordable medical insurance. It's the American DREAM! So, keep dreamin'

Many years ago I worked in a county welfare office.* I learned as a young person that the safety net for the middle class is very thin.* The working class already know that, but the middle class is just learning it with corporate downsizing, exporting jobs, etc.* *I doubt that it is going to get better.* I think we should demand the same quality of health insurance our congress people and senators have; or else they should have to give up theirs and purchase it privately.* That might get some action from them!!* *As I wrote earlier, do not want to turn this thread into poltiical tirade but just need some practical advice.
__________________
bookman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Re: Health Insurance

What state do you live in? Answers are different for every state. Did you look at the Georgetown guide for your state at www.healthinsuranceinfo.net?

Most states that have risk pools require you to use up the COBRA first (though you need to apply while you are on COBRA).

HIPAA may also give you some rights to force insurers to sell you insurance. Again, your state of residence is important to know.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-10-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Rich_by_the_Bay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8,827
Re: Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman51
Nope, It will not get to me to Medicare. About five years short.
Hmm. Sounds like your wife (and thus you) is getting punished for taking care of herself, avoiding premature catastrophic illness by taking proper preventive measures. No one wants to pick up a few hundred bucks per year risk in order to avoid tens of thousands of risk decades hence.

If all Americans had at least catastrophic coverage from state or federal tax revenues, you would easily pick this up on your own. Let the carriers fight over coverage for the first $10K or whatever.
__________________
Rich
San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 48
Re: Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
What state do you live in?* Answers are different for every state.* Did you look at the Georgetown guide for your state at www.healthinsuranceinfo.net?

Most states that have risk pools require you to use up the COBRA first (though you need to apply while you are on COBRA).*

HIPAA may also give you some rights to force insurers to sell you insurance.* Again, your state of residence is important to know.
Nebraska
__________________
bookman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Bay
Posts: 1,026
Re: Health Insurance

My family and I are 7 months into a COBRA plan right now. It is exactly the same HMO coverage I had in my old job...same insurance co, same providers, same insureds. Because of the terms of a merger, I was able to get the COBRA coverage at company-subsidized rates rather than having to pay the full 102% premium. So far, so good. However, at month 5 the megacorp that I left decided to change the terms of the deal. They renegotiated the terms with the insurance company such that I now pay twice the premium and twice the copayments for otherwise identical coverage. We ex-employees) had a "special" open enrollment period in June where we could either re-opt into this HMO or get into the company's more traditional (less progressive) PPO plan.

Bookman, you asked for experience with COBRA. I guess I'm telling you this to say that under COBRA you get continuing insurance coverage, but you takes what you gets. I don't have such a bad deal, but in mid-year I got my premiums and copays doubled...and there was nothing I could do about it.
__________________
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 48
Re: Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch
My family and I are 7 months into a COBRA plan right now.* It is exactly the same HMO coverage I had in my old job...same insurance co, same providers, same insureds.* *Because of the terms of a merger, I was able to get the COBRA coverage at company-subsidized rates rather than having to pay the full 102% premium.* So far, so good.* However, at month 5 the megacorp that I left decided to change the terms of the deal.* They renegotiated the terms with the insurance company such that I now pay twice the premium and twice the copayments for otherwise identical coverage.* We ex-employees) had a "special" open enrollment period in June where we could either re-opt into this HMO or get into the company's more traditional (less progressive) PPO plan.

Bookman, you asked for experience with COBRA.* I guess I'm telling you this to say that under COBRA you get continuing insurance coverage, but you takes what you gets.* I don't have such a bad deal, but in mid-year I got my premiums and copays doubled...and there was nothing I could do about it.
Thanks for the information.*
__________________
bookman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Re: Health Insurance

It looks like there are not a lot of options in Nebraska for those who are percieved as uninsurable.* Here is information on Nebraska's risk pool, CHIP:

http://www.doi.ne.gov/brochure/b_chip.htm

Your wife would want to qualify under option B, the option for HIPAA eligible people.* The would mean no pre-existing condition waiting period.* The HIPAA eligibility requirements are described in the brochure.* She likely will have to exhaust her COBRA benefits first.

Be sure to watch the time deadlines for applying.*

In Nebraska insurance carriers who offer individual insurance are free to turn people down based on health condition, are free to charge what they want, and are free to place elimination riders on their policies.* You could try working with an agent, but if BCBS won't cover her, the odd of getting coverage outside of CHIP are probably slim.

I echo Rich's comments.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
free4now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,225
Re: Health Insurance

Just to gripe about my situation:

Today I called BC to check on the status of my health insurance application (in California). I had sent them 63 pages of medical records that they requested on 6/23/06. I called them today 8/11/06 and the guy said basically "oops, we forgot to look at what you sent". Apparently they received the documents and imaged them on 6/26/06 and nothing happenned since then.

I'm five months into CORBA. I figure I might as well spend my 18 months applying for individual coverage, because it'll probably take that long to complete the application process This BC application started about three months ago.
__________________
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 20
Re: Health Insurance

That sorta happened to me too. I ended up with a waiver for cholesterol (but get this-they will pay if I have a heart attack or stroke :, a waiver on migraine headaches and a waiver on the oesteoarthritis in my back.

I debated about going to the high risk pool, but I figured the rates for that would rise much more rapidly than the regular pool and that pretty quickly I would be priced out of any insurance.

Even if you get into cheaper health insurance because you currently don't have any health concerns, that can change. As the well people in that group move because they can get something else less expensive, the pool you are in shrinks and your rates start rising rapidly. That has happen to me also.

I also think it is a disgrace that we are tied to our jobs because of health insurance.
__________________
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-11-2006, 11:05 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
2B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,330
Re: Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman51

Well, you know it did not. *Just read the book "Bait and Switch" *and recommend it. *Health insurance does a good job of chaining people to jobs and feeding a multibillion dollar industry. *Oh well, this thread soon could become a political tirade (billions for a war in Iraq but we cannot afford national health insurance!!!] and I just need some practical advice. *
I have always advocated crucifixion for members of Congress. This is without regard to political party or position on the issue. If it isn't, they are.

There are many options that are never explored. I don't believe we are "entitled" to unlimited, tax payer funded health care but I do believe we are having the American taxpayer subsidize the uninsured and the rest of the world beyond what is reasonable.
__________________
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius
2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-12-2006, 10:12 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Gone4Good's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,381
Re: Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz
And where does it say in the Constitution that we all should have medical insurance, anyway? And by the same token where does it say in the Constitution that we all shouldn't be able to have it? (They never answer that question?)
Boo Hoo!

Where in the Constitution does it say you should be entitled to retire early and live off of the productive labor of your fellow citizens?
__________________
Retired early, traveling perpetually.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,078
Re: Health Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
Where in the Constitution does it say you should be entitled to retire early and live off of the productive labor of your fellow citizens?
Ted? Is that you?

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-12-2006, 11:02 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,567
Re: Health Insurance

Quote:
[Where in the Constitution does it say you should be entitled to retire early and live off of the productive labor of your fellow citizens
Again, Where does it say we can't or shouldnt?

You areba communist. obscessed with rigging the game so that far far far too many people are chained in what is quite frankly almost aways UN-productive labor simply to acquire the bearets of encessituies. Then you use* sleight of hand buzz words like "rights" and "productive labor" and ask stupid questions* like "Where does it say we can...do this or that".

We dont need permission.* It's called freedom.* And we dont need to settle for somebody else who doesnt work (or their dupes and useful burn-out idiots like you) to rig the game to keep the rest of us working. I am for progress and moving forward. Less work. More lesiure. More stuff. Just like the suere rich who dont work and live of of government wealth redistibutionist programs*

A better and easier life for all. Otherwise just where have we mad any progress? The Wealth of Nations. Not the old fuedal model of slavery and all for One and the rest do all the work.

No, YOU can go back to boo-hoo'ing sonny. You wanna work... sonny?* Go right ahead but dont try to inflict it on other people. We can do better.
__________________
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Re: Health Insurance
Old 08-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,078
Re: Health Insurance

Let's try to keep it civil. The subject of the thread is Health Insurance, and name calling doesn't help persuade anyone of the wisdom of your point of view.

__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
health insurance


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scientific American poll: 90% fail at buying their own health insurance Nords FIRE and Money 3 09-16-2006 02:07 PM
health insurance and effect on increased health care costs Martha Other topics 9 08-08-2006 02:54 PM
The book, The New Health Insurance Solution Martha FIRE and Money 20 05-15-2006 11:16 AM
Questions for ERs with individual health insurance mark500 Health and Early Retirement 43 04-30-2006 06:56 PM
Cheap way to get guaranteed health insurance justin FIRE and Money 65 09-16-2005 07:31 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:59 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.