Join Early Retirement Today

Health Insurance Premiums for 2014
Old 12-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Health Insurance Premiums for 2014

Currently have pre-Medicare retiree health insurance from mega corp. through Aetna. Insurance is your basic 80/20 plan and covers DW and myself. Paying about $550 a month and trying to get some idea what the premiums may be for 2014.

Has anyone here received any information on retiree health care costs for 2014 yet ?

Appreciate any and all replies in advance.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$270 just for me through BCBS. Didn't do ACA for 2014 due to the limited network offered through the one company participating in Obamacare in my area. Hoping that more options will surface the following year.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Currently paying $662/mo for DW and myself for COBRA Aetna 80/20 policy. 2014 price is going up 24%, COBRA ends in Aug so will switch to an ACA policy in Jan.
TerryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

$330 something per month thru National Association of Letter Carriers for self-and-family coverage (+ I have to pay about $35 per year to belong to their union)

This is a FFS plan through FEHB with about 70% of the rest of the premium being paid by the Fed Govt as a retiree benefit. Network is thru CIGNA. $20 office visits & pays on average about 85% for most things after $600 family deductible.

Dental coverage is an additional $1100 or so per year. Pretty much no Federal Employee health care plans offer dental anymore. You have to buy it separate. (a continuation of the ongoing erosion of benefits - wouldn't be surprised if they throw us all onto State exchanges in a few years)
retiredatfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Currently $160-ish for subsidized retiree medical (Aetna) and dental (Metlife). Increasing next year, another $20 or so...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Currently have pre-Medicare retiree health insurance from mega corp. through Aetna. Insurance is your basic 80/20 plan and covers DW and myself. Paying about $550 a month and trying to get some idea what the premiums may be for 2014.

Has anyone here received any information on retiree health care costs for 2014 yet ?

Appreciate any and all replies in advance.
Coverages, deductibles and employer contributions are so variable between plans, I don't think any comparisons are valid unless you know the plans you are comparing are apples-to-apples.
retiredatfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Under $200 a month for a Blue Cross Bronze PPO HSA for a family on an ACA exchange plan. Woooohooo. Big savings for us over 2013.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still waiting to find out - we are losing Aetna (they are leaving CA). Have the paperwork in (I think...) still waiting for a reply.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

BCBS of AZ allowed me to stay on current high deductible HI ($8K max out-of-pocket) until Dec 2014 for $182/month. I'm 50 with no pre-existing conditions. I did some checking on premiums under ACA and I could get a BCBS bronze plan for around $350/month before subsidy. If I believe the subsidy calculators and can control my MAGI to around $25K my premiums could be in the $150 range for a silver plan. I decided to stay with my current plan next year to see how the dust settles for ObamaCare.
bradaz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

For 2014, my pre-Medicare retiree coverage from megacorp is $685/mo. for me alone. Wife has her own plan, same situation from same megacorp, and hers is also $685/mo. So that's $1,370/mo. for both of us.

I say "retiree coverage", but actually it just allows you to participate in their plan - there is no subsidy whatsoever. BTW this is a High-Deductible PPO w/HSA from Aetna.

Seems outrageously high, doesn't it? Years ago when megacorp dropped retiree medical benefits, they set up a Future Health Account for us. It was a nice chunk of change, and it can only be used to pay for premiums from megacorp's plans. So, I'm actually not paying any of that huge amount out-of-pocket - it will be covered by the Future Health Account for the next couple years. So that's the only reason I'm staying with such an outrageous plan for the moment.
psweath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredatfifty View Post
Coverages, deductibles and employer contributions are so variable between plans, I don't think any comparisons are valid unless you know the plans you are comparing are apples-to-apples.
Good and valid point, just trying to get a sampling across the folks here. I have no doubt mine will go up, just kind of curious as to what other plans are doing and how big of increases.

One would think a general retiree (80/20) plan for a pre-Medicare folks would be somewhat in the same ballpark.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #12

Our retiree plan was $376/mo ($1628/mo before retiree allowance) in 2013 and it increased to $472/mo ($1818/mo before retiree allowance) for 2014. Those prices include coverage for both of us.

This plan has very low co-pays and a $850 deductible, which is far better coverage than we need.

For 2014 we have declined the retiree insurance and instead enrolled in an ObamaCare HDHP with HSA. The retiree plan used to not allow you to re-enroll if you left but they just changed that so we can come back if needed. Our costs would increase a huge amount as they are eliminating the spousal subsidy in stages between 2015 and 2017.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #13

Aside: I see these costs quoted "per month", but do people here actually pay it this way?

I know we pay for our various insurances annually (some like car insurance is ½ yearly). This works for us since we are living off investments.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #14

When applying for ACA, I know we had more than $27,000 entered into the ACA site (but still got the Medicaid letter). Want to avoid Medicaid.
Not sure how to undo this.

Our scenario is we presently are covered by my former employer's retirement hc. The rub is it is $800 per month and it can be cancelled in years going forward (we are good for 2014). I know based on out limited income, the aca coverage (even a gold plan) with subsidies would be much cheaper. However, if I go to the exchanges, we cannot go back to my former employer's plan.

Also, looking far into the future, if the employer's coverage is still in place, it offers x/s coverage over Medicare at a present monthly cost of $691 (for both my wife and me). Not sure if this a reasonable price for x/s Medicare coverage.

Anyone out there with some comments or advice??
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Aside: I see these costs quoted "per month", but do people here actually pay it this way?

I know we pay for our various insurances annually (some like car insurance is ½ yearly). This works for us since we are living off investments.
Yes, ours is a monthly deduction from our pension check.
psweath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

$875/mo for 90/10 coverage for DH and myself with BC/BS. No increase from last year (which was a pleasant surprise....).
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #17

My HDHP plan is going up 5% in 2014 (from $104.96/mo to $110.21).
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #18

For my retiree health insurance 600 Dollar deductable my payment is 496 up 5 from 2013 company contribution is 354.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

No increase for 2014 regarding medical (United Health Care),vision and dental through retiree benefits. Combined cost is still $289 a month for DH and me.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Increase of $45 per month x 2 on mine.
Theduckguru is offline   Reply With Quote