Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

The following may be of some use. It appears the tax year 2012 return is the likely one to be used unless other tax years are in place or you can prove a change in income by a method yet to be defined.

Quote:
Income eligibility for advance tax credit payments may be determined using income as reported on the most recent tax return available. Under the law, individuals eligible for premium tax credits can apply for advance payments of the credits, which will be paid directly to their insurer. This is important for helping to make coverage affordable at the time it is needed. The ACA provides that income eligibility for advance payments may be determined using income as reported on the most recent tax return available, which for many people may reflect income for two years prior to the year for which assistance is being requested. The law also requires that procedures be in place to collect more current income information from people who experience a change in their financial situations or family circumstances since filing a return, or do not file a tax return.
The source of the above text is page two of this link: http://www.kff.org/healthreform/upload/8168.pdf

Very interesting and important subject to this ESR person.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like this might help marko if he wants to take the chance of being at the mercy of gubmint bureaucrats.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Thanks firsherman and pb4. I assumed something in the law would cover this as it should be a regular issue.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:45 AM   #84
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I guess that I don't understand Wouldn't the IRS regs published in the Federal Register back last May be authoritative at this point? I agree it is very hard to follow.

What role does HHS play?
The IRS final regs were helpful and cleared up some confusion. It isn't up to the IRS to calculate how much subsidy, the methodology to determine the amount, or how to apply a subsidy where there is no tax liability. That is noticeably absent from the IRS doc - all their examples begin with the subsidy already determined, and they deal with the reconciliation.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #85
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi everyone,

New forum member here!

Interesting topic.

I haven't seen anyone mention it on this thread yet, but the repayment of excess health insurance premium credits received on the exchanges is currently limited from $600 to $2500 for joint filers with a household income between 200% to 400% of the FPL (Federal Poverty Level). Above that level there's no cap and full repayment is required. This was passed in the "Comprehensive 1099 Taxpayer Protection and Repayment of Exchange Subsidy Overpayment Act of 2011" (P .L. 112-9).

There's been a more recent attempt to remove these repayment caps altogether which passed out of the House of Representatives, but it hasn't gone anywhere in the Senate.

Best regards,

John L.
gyropilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

gyro: welcome to the forum! I think we'll be seeing a lot of new members come here when they search on the PPACA.

I'm learning too, so I'm can't add much to your discussion except to say there are a lot of fine folks here studying and learning too.

Have you seen the discussion about "cliffs" in PPACA? Lots of other discussions about the 400% cut off and how the law seems to not have enough of a sliding scale when doing all the calculations.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyropilot View Post
Hi everyone,

New forum member here!

Interesting topic.

I haven't seen anyone mention it on this thread yet, but the repayment of excess health insurance premium credits received on the exchanges is currently limited from $600 to $2500 for joint filers with a household income between 200% to 400% of the FPL (Federal Poverty Level). Above that level there's no cap and full repayment is required.

Can you clarify this comment? Do you mean if you pay $15K for HI and find that you are below 400% at tax time, that the most you can get back is $2500? Or are you saying that the most you can pay if <400% is $2500?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Can you clarify this comment? Do you mean if you pay $15K for HI and find that you are below 400% at tax time, that the most you can get back is $2500? Or are you saying that the most you can pay if <400% is $2500?
I think he is talking about if you owe because your premium credits received exceed what you are entitled to - not the other way around.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyropilot View Post
....There's been a more recent attempt to remove these repayment caps altogether which passed out of the House of Representatives, but it hasn't gone anywhere in the Senate.....
Full repayment would make sense IMO - perhaps over a few years or under an IRS approved payment plan - similar to the way other significant tax arrearages are collected.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Sounds to me like there is only a broad concept but no deep details on putting any of this intoactual practice.

With only 13 months before implementation (a blink of an eye in DC time) it sure doesn't look like the practical nuts and bolts of such an enormous event have even begun to be considered.

Who, what , when, where? Crickets.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:33 AM   #91
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think he is talking about if you owe because your premium credits received exceed what you are entitled to - not the other way around.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Sounds to me like there is only a broad concept but no deep details on putting any of this intoactual practice.

With only 13 months before implementation (a blink of an eye in DC time) it sure doesn't look like the practical nuts and bolts of such an enormous event have even begun to be considered.

Who, what , when, where? Crickets.
The instructions were published in May and linked earlier in this thread by Pb4uski, here https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...ium-tax-credit
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #92

Just read this whole thread and the linked articles/documents. As someone who sells health insurance, I will just say...what a mess. If a message board full of highly-educated people can't understand it, how does anyone expect your average American to understand it?

Part of the sales process is the "explain it to me like I'm 5 years old" method so that your average person can understand what they are buying. There is no way to explain this to a 5 year old....none. I can't wait to have these fun conversations with my clients over the course of the next few years.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
Just read this whole thread and the linked articles/documents. As someone who sells health insurance, I will just say...what a mess. If a message board full of highly-educated people can't understand it, how does anyone expect your average American to understand it?

Part of the sales process is the "explain it to me like I'm 5 years old" method so that your average person can understand what they are buying. There is no way to explain this to a 5 year old....none. I can't wait to have these fun conversations with my clients over the course of the next few years.
And then you have the tax issues.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Maybe we need to get the government involved!

Oh.

Wait.

Forget it.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #95
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

So maybe HI brokers and sales guys will still have plenty to do...
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
So maybe HI brokers and sales guys will still have plenty to do...
If commissions are not paid on subsidized policies through the exchange, then agents will not sell policies since that will be the majority of the business and it will be a waste of time. Many agents have already stopped selling health insurance after commissions were cut in half following passage of the legislation.

Know of any agents that sell health insurance in Massachusetts, Main, New York, or New Jersey? Neither do I...wonder why that could be? Hmm....
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #97

Quote:

This has been a very good and helpful thread. I really appreciate all the info provided. I probably just missed the useful info in the post above.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

I foresee a whole cottage industry of accountants, attorneys, and insurance agents, sprouting up in relation to this law. Not to mention the growth in government bureaucracy that will be required to administer it.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #99
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

But is that not the trend of all of our society, you need to be a rocket scientist to understand things, such as real estate closing statements insurance policies of whatever kind etc. The whole point is to give more jobs to unemployed law school graduates. Consider the thick documents with credit cards...

I fear in general the model of a citizen being able to understand much of what is around him may be obsolete, so the individual responsibility model breaks down when you don't understand what the rules are.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

No worries - I'm sure that the exchanges will spell out everything crystal clear