Join Early Retirement Today

Health Insurance Washington State
Old 06-22-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Health Insurance Washington State

I have to go into the individual market in Washington for health insurance. I know several of you, including Wabmester, have commented on this, but I can't find the topic.

What companies/plans have people used, and do you have any evaluations to share?

Mikey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Health Insurance Washington State
Old 06-22-2005, 07:15 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was on a Regents Blue Cross Plan. It was great. I think it was around 200/month (late thirties) and even included prescriptions. I needed to use the coverage when on extended vacations and it was not a problem. I'd go purchase insurance again from them in a hearbeat.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:21 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I dropped Regence for these guys:

http://www.kpshealthplans.com/

Couldn't be happier with their HSA plan, but they were recently acquired by some Monster Provider, so I'm sure I'll need to reevaluate pretty soon.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the info guys.

haha
Old 06-23-2005, 01:44 PM   #5

Mikey,
Costco offers plans through their Executive Membership that may be worth looking at.
I justed reupped my coverage and the Broker told me that Regence has a number of new plans they have just brought to market, especially high deductibles so I would at least get a quote from them.
Blue Cross ONTH apparently has little interest in the Individual market.
Good luck
Nwsteve
Old 06-23-2005, 05:12 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Any info on that costco executive coverage for health? All I saw was plans for executive business members.

I 'faked' a small business to get some quotes, for me, wife and baby the quotes ran from 569-705 for a 70/30 plan with a 2500 deductible-70/30 plan with 1000 deductible. Not bad but not super.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

It's a pilot program scheduled for launch in July. Initially it will only be available to Costco's executive members in limited areas of California.

Here's the story from the LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...ostemailedlink.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:33 PM   #8

Actually Costco has offered health care plans in WA for some time. Just now figuring out how to do in CA and still make it viable.
I have not used personally but have seen their flyers in the stores for quite awhile.
nwsteve
Old 06-23-2005, 08:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Are these 'group plans' as in everyone is accepted if you're a costco member or are they the usual fill out an application and we wont take you if you've had a sniffle in the last 5 year sort of plans?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Washington has a pretty good system even for individual insurance. If you have been continuously covered for a certain amount of time, or if you are coming off Cobra, or for several other reasons, you do not have to fill out the form.

Prior to year 2000, those conditions did not even apply; it was guaranteed issue. That wrecked the individual insurance market because people would wait until they got sick or pregnant or whatever, and then sign up.

Ha
Old 06-23-2005, 10:42 PM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

I've been looking at www.lifewisewa.com individual plans.* When I checked into the Costco plans it was for a small business and required at least one non-related employee.* I'm looking forward to the new Costco plan making it up to Washington at some point.

Tags
health insurance