Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdafly View Post
When we completed our ACA application, initially we did not fully complete it and it resulted in a "..we need additional documentation.." status.

When we next did a whole session, all the way, including picking a plan and provider, the status changed to Completed and we received a BCBS Silver Plan membership, paid 1st month premium and that was that.

We still continue to get "... may be in danger.. " email reminders but they are likely from the earlier incomplete application(s). Our current status shows Completed so we're not going to lose sleep over this inconsistency.
We're in the same boat, a previously incomplete app was updated using the life change feature to let them check current income automatically (which resolved the income question) but we still get the occasional warning email that we could lose subsidy. The current app is showing complete and I have a full eligiibility letter on hc.gov so I just ignore the emails and nothing has happened.

They have some real issues with getting their communications to match the app status IMO, and the letters I got in mail from them were dated almost a month before I actually received them. They might have (mostly) fixed the website issues but their backend processing is still bad. I heard the same from Humana reps when trying to straighten out what our 2016 cost-shared Silver plan deductibles and OOP were supposed to be with the ACA app back in January. They conferenced in a hc.gov rep who said it could take weeks to resolve but fortunately Humana was able to fix it themselves.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
That's fine as long as you're not expecting cost sharing. IIRC, you won't get the latter unless you file for upfront for the PTC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I agree, but I did not catch that the OP was going for cost sharing.
I strongly disagree!!!! You CAN get the ACA tax credit at the time you file for taxes. I was forced into this situation because of a "feature" (feature=bug) in CoveredCA (California's ACA exchange). My husband insists on a different insurer than my kids and myself. CoveredCA will not offer premium reduction to reflect the tax credit if you are a family and have more than one insurer - it forces you onto the same insurer. Last year I spoofed the forms to show income above the MAGI premium tax credit to allow the selection of multiple plans. When I ran turbo tax I was able to claim the FULL tax credit, after the fact. The "feature" was still there during enrollment this year - so I did the same thing.

The key to claim the ACA premium tax credit at tax filing time is to purchase your insurance through an exchange. Only policies purchased through the exchange are eligible for the premium tax credit. The IRS does not care if you collect your premium tax credit along the way, or when you file your taxes. Sure, it's crappy for tax flow to pay the full freight along the way - but I set my retirement budget for full premiums to be conservative.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:58 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I strongly disagree!!!! You CAN get the ACA tax credit at the time you file for taxes. I was forced into this situation because of a "feature" (feature=bug) in CoveredCA (California's ACA exchange). My husband insists on a different insurer than my kids and myself. CoveredCA will not offer premium reduction to reflect the tax credit if you are a family and have more than one insurer - it forces you onto the same insurer. Last year I spoofed the forms to show income above the MAGI premium tax credit to allow the selection of multiple plans. When I ran turbo tax I was able to claim the FULL tax credit, after the fact. The "feature" was still there during enrollment this year - so I did the same thing.

The key to claim the ACA premium tax credit at tax filing time is to purchase your insurance through an exchange. Only policies purchased through the exchange are eligible for the premium tax credit. The IRS does not care if you collect your premium tax credit along the way, or when you file your taxes. Sure, it's crappy for tax flow to pay the full freight along the way - but I set my retirement budget for full premiums to be conservative.
You're confusing the premium tax credit with cost sharing. The latter reduces co-pays, deductibles and maximum out of pocket costs for care you receive during the year. You have to qualify upfront and the income levels are different from the PTC. If you are not eligible for cost sharing because your income is too high, then it's fine to get your PTC at tax time. If you are eligible for cost sharing, then you would need to pre-qualify to get it.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:04 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I strongly disagree!!!! You CAN get the ACA tax credit at the time you file for taxes.
There are two types of subsidies, premium subsidies (tax credits) and cost sharing reductions (CSR) that reduce deductibles and maximum out-of-pocket (MOOP). No one is challenging the statement that premium subsidies (tax credits) without CSR can be taken when you file your tax return. The conversation turned to cost sharing reductions.

The cost sharing reductions apply only to on-exchange Silver Plans for those with pre-approved MAGI below 250% FPL (300% FPL for federally recognized tribe Native Americans and ANCSA shareholders). The previous posters were saying that you cannot retroactively claim the CSR when you file your tax return.

Cost Sharing Reductions: Cost Sharing Reduction Subsidies (CSR) - Obamacare Facts
Old 05-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi. I just wanted to follow up and let you know that, in addition to the tax return I submitted for 2015, I also submitted a sworn statement and summarized my income for 2015 and my projected income for 2016. I supplied a response for every item on the list that they identified as documents addressing proof of income. I indicated "not applicable" for items that did not exist. I received confirmation from the marketplace that my application was accepted and that I am eligible for a tax subsidy base on my income.

Thank you for your advice.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #26

That's good news!