Join Early Retirement Today

Re: heating bills
Old 10-10-2005, 08:02 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969

One nice thing about oil heat, and I guess natural gas is like this too, is that once you crank up the thermostat, it only take a short while to get the house nice and comfy again.* Even my old house, with its drafty windows and sporadic use of insulation.
The other nice thing is that if there is a shortage of heating oil, it can be relatively easily shipped in via tanker. Not so, with natural gas.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2005, 08:19 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Let me see if I can help you Dreamer.
First, regarding the corvette, as a past and present owner of corvettes I can tell you that your husband is not pulling your chain. The corvette must remain warm even if it means the family must suffer in the cold. If the vette gets too cold it can literally explode into a brazilion tiny plastic pieces. I have found that applying a light coat of corona on the plastic body will offer additional protection during cold snaps. I recommend you be supportive by leaving a fresh six pak on the garage steps each Friday.

Concerning your question about "how cold is too cold for cats"
I don't consider myself an expert on this issue, but when growing up a boyhood friend of mine placed the family cat in the freezer for a little over an hour. For certain, that was too long.
Hope this helps!
I nominate this post for induction into the RE Forum Hall of Fame.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:37 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I nominate this post for induction into the RE Forum Hall of Fame.* *

[/quote

iT'S A KEEPER!

JG
Old 10-10-2005, 08:43 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I don't know if this is true or not, but I've heard that with some heating sources, such as heat pumps, that you're better off just leaving the thermostat alone. I think the rationale is that the energy you save by cutting the heat back at a certain time is offset when the system has to work its butt off to get back up to a more comfortable temperature. Heat pumps often take awhile to react though, which may be part of the problem.
Heat pumps do not have the 'recovery' capacity of oil or natural gas furnaces. For those of you not familiar with them, a heat pump is essentially and air conditioner working in reverse. It extracts warm outside air and as the outside air temperature drops the amount of heat coming out of your vents drops as well. Somewhere around 36 degrees F the amount of heat the pump provides is essentially zero, so auxilliary heating coils (like those in an electric oven) kick in. This is why a setback thermostat doesn't make a lot of sense, considering you would probably be asking the system to warm up your house in the early morning, when the pump is least efficient.

This type system is very cost effective compared to direct electric heating coils, something in the nature of 4 times as efficient. Obviously the system works best in areas where temperatures do not frequently drop below freezing and where snowblowers are unknown to the indigenous poplulation.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:46 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot

John, moving the thermostat is a one time expense but will yield an ongoing savings/convenience.

Personally, I would be comfortable with a "gravity" pip draining and pouring some antifreeze in the traps. Then you are also protected if an extended power outage occurs...

My two satang,

Lance
Thanks Lance, but the thermostat is in a good spot as long as
we are at home. *I think the previous owners had this all worked out,
as this place started out as a very small cottage and then was
added on. added on, etc. *Anyway, We are able to seal off about
50% of the total floor space (25% we don't heat directly anyway).

JG
Old 10-11-2005, 06:22 AM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Heat pumps do not have the 'recovery' capacity of oil or natural gas furnaces.* For those of you not familiar with them, a heat pump is essentially and air conditioner working in reverse.* It extracts warm outside air and as the outside air temperature drops the amount of heat coming out of your vents drops as well.* Somewhere around 36 degrees F the amount of heat the pump provides is essentially zero, so auxilliary heating coils (like those in an electric oven) kick in.* This is why a setback thermostat doesn't make a lot of sense, considering you would probably be asking the system to warm up your house in the early morning, when the pump is least efficient.
REW is correct, be wary of triggering the back up resistance coils in a heat pump...

I used to have a heat pump and I did install a setback thermostat, mainly for the aircon in the summer. I experimented with winter temperature setbacks and discovered that I could reduce the temperature by two degrees without triggering the back up coils. Not a large savings, but it did feel a bit warmer when getting out of bed and helped to circulate moisture throughout the house from pre-work showers.

Pre-work showers... YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!

No timer on my fan in BKK 8)

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:29 AM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.

John, if your local utility offers it, seriously consider a "blower door" test for infiltration.

Basically it consists of a fan attached to a door that pulls a vacum on your house. Just walk around with a notepad and write down the location of the major infiltration spots.

Then correct them at your leisure .

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #88

JPatrick,

Thank you so much for the advice. I went out and rubbed some of the Corona on the vette tonight. I can't wait until he comes home and I am able to tell him how much that I helped him! I also bought an extra six pack in anticipation of leaving it on the garage steps Friday night.

I really must go now, because the cats have been in the freezer for 1/2 hour and I must check on them.

Dreamer

You are too funny!!! In other words, I think that he is pulling my chain and that I am being too naive! I love this site!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
JPatrick,

Thank you so much for the advice.* I went out and rubbed some of the Corona on the vette tonight.* I can't wait until he comes home and I am able to tell him how much that I helped him!* I also bought an extra six pack in anticipation of leaving it on the garage steps Friday night.
Yup, he'll need that 6 - pac after he deals with the fly problem you created in the garage* :
Old 10-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
I really must go now, because the cats have been in the freezer for 1/2 hour and I must check on them.
"Lady, I swear I'll behave, I won't scream & yowl at night anymore, but please tell me-- what did the chicken do to get put in here?!?"

Ba-dump-bump *clang*...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:41 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
"Lady, I swear I'll behave, I won't scream & yowl at night anymore, but please tell me-- what did the chicken do to get put in here?!?"

Ba-dump-bump *clang*...
Whatever the chicken did, I doubt he'll do it again