Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-30-2016, 01:01 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You may not be a skier, but my experience is different. I constantly encounter skiers in their 70s and early 80s while riding the lifts. Many ski areas offer free lift tickets if you're 70 or older, and plenty of people take advantage of it.
Yep, I plan on being out there in my 70's and 80's too..... Even if it is just to take the grandkids down the bunny hill!

I think that a healthy lifestyle keeps you active much longer - I know that I do a lot of things at 53 that people in their early 40's don't/won't do because they are too "old". Maybe some of it is just attitude toward embracing adventure too ......
KmmFIdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I also consider that rather than giving up travel that quickly, I will be spending more for comfort in travel as I am older.

We haven't been doing cruises as that is something I figure I'll be more inclined to do when I can't (or am unwilling to) get around as well on my own. Same for trips in general where a tour company does all the work. Also - paying more for airfare. We've only flown first class once so far.

And then there are the drivers, private tours, baggage handlers, you name it.

We'll just have to pay up for the smaller ship cruises. No way I'll get DH on a large passenger boat.
Agree. As we age comfort becomes more important. Also trying to hold off on cruises for a while but when we get back to it, it will be 5stars all the way.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmmFIdreamer View Post
Yep, I plan on being out there in my 70's and 80's too..... Even if it is just to take the grandkids down the bunny hill!

I think that a healthy lifestyle keeps you active much longer - I know that I do a lot of things at 53 that people in their early 40's don't/won't do because they are too "old". Maybe some of it is just attitude toward embracing adventure too ......
Agree. I'm 65 and still enjoy skiing. Have to admit though, the slopes seemed a little steeper this year.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #84

So far as a hedonic tilt goes, I seem to be accomplishing the early portion without even trying. After 2.5 years of retirement, I find I have been spending about twice what I planned. Major portions have gone to home construction which is over budget, DS and his career in college who seems to be handling his recent "promotion" to life-on-his-own just fine, and now DD's wedding. I hope the bleeding will stop in the next year or so, but I am still quite comfortable where I am financially.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:45 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Agree. I'm 65 and still enjoy skiing. Have to admit though, the slopes seemed a little steeper this year.
Just spent a week on the slopes and the arthritis that got me in the hip last year made it unpleasant to tackle the black runs or even the double blues. But normal blues are still OK, and I don't expect that to change for at least a while. Not too bad at 69. I was a bit concerned because I just bought new skis and custom boots the year before last and I want to get my money's worth out of them!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:59 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just spent a week on the slopes and the arthritis that got me in the hip last year made it unpleasant to tackle the black runs or even the double blues. But normal blues are still OK, and I don't expect that to change for at least a while. Not too bad at 69. I was a bit concerned because I just bought new skis and custom boots the year before last and I want to get my money's worth out of them!
Good for you. Agree the blacks looking pretty daunting.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good for you. Agree the blacks looking pretty daunting.

Im 51, but the thrill is gone. I just soak up the environment on the greens and blues now. I dont want to get hurt.....Just seemed like yesterday I enjoyed wiping out and crashing.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:09 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Interesting, we are also trying Air Transat Plus for our trip to Italy in June. A friend recommended it but I am sceptical. They already have changed the return flight to stop at Montreal rather than direct to Toronto.
Last time we took them from Rome to Vancouver, they changed the flight to refuel in Reykjavik, then had to stop in Calgary because of flying time restrictions for the crew, then waited an hour for a new crew. So an already long flight became unbearable!
Old 03-31-2016, 08:05 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Last time we took them from Rome to Vancouver, they changed the flight to refuel in Reykjavik, then had to stop in Calgary because of flying time restrictions for the crew, then waited an hour for a new crew. So an already long flight became unbearable!
Doesn't sound very encouraging. Surprised you would give them another chance?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:49 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Im 51, but the thrill is gone. I just soak up the environment on the greens and blues now. I dont want to get hurt.....Just seemed like yesterday I enjoyed wiping out and crashing.
Brings back memories, although we were only in our early 30s on our last trip (to beautiful Whistler) .... Decided DW's hands were too valuable even with a nice disability policy. Turned to diving, which is less likely to result in serious long term injuries of that type (death is can be more of an issue though if one is careless).

Who knows, maybe in retirement, we'll revisit the slopes and make doubly sure that we enhance our hedonic return in our first decade!
Old 03-31-2016, 09:33 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post

Who knows, maybe in retirement, we'll revisit the slopes and make doubly sure that we enhance our hedonic return in our first decade!
I retired at 56 and the next year we bought a house in the Rockies(Canmore Alberta) and took up skiing. Took a couple of seasons to "get" it, but really enjoy it now. Never too late.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:40 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Brings back memories, although we were only in our early 30s on our last trip (to beautiful Whistler) .... Decided DW's hands were too valuable even with a nice disability policy. Turned to diving, which is less likely to result in serious long term injuries of that type (death is can be more of an issue though if one is careless).

When older, if you view skiing as recreation and not a means to see if "you still have it", it probably can do done almost all the way up to the age of being stooped over and a feet shuffler.
I dont need to be scared anymore to enjoy it. Went to Sundance last winter and skied it just to experience the sights and beauty which was plenty. Had no thoughts of taking the next lift up to the very top...I want to be in condition to visit again sometime.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When older, if you view skiing as recreation and not a means to see if "you still have it", it probably can do done almost all the way up to the age of being stooped over and a feet shuffler.
I dont need to be scared anymore to enjoy it. Went to Sundance last winter and skied it just to experience the sights and beauty which was plenty. Had no thoughts of taking the next lift up to the very top...I want to be in condition to visit again sometime.
This is my outlook also. I spent a year + hurting form arthritis in one hip that came from a motorcycle accident almost 50 years ago. I know too many older men who have picked up chronic pain and disability from their athletic and adventure pasts. Marketers who try to identify adventure pursuits with health don't impress me, they are completely separate issues. Being active is important, but again that has little to do with ski-ing or mountain climbing or scuba diving.

Ha
Old 03-31-2016, 10:32 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

I know what you mean; the ads for retirement-related "stuff" that show old people waterskiing, hang-gliding, etc. always strike me as forced.

Still, marketers probably don't know how else to indicate "healthy, active, and yet every bit as old as you, the viewer" except to show old people doing sporty things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Marketers who try to identify adventure pursuits with health don't impress me, they are completely separate issues. Being active is important, but again that has little to do with ski-ing or mountain climbing or scuba diving.

Ha
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #95

Quote:
Agree as well. Don't enjoy being scared. Certainly don't ski for fitness benefits. I doubt my HR goes over 120 the whole time. I just enjoy being outside in the winter and experiencing some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world. I hope to continue even though my DW is not as keen as she once was. Instead I will probably just ski with daughter and son-in-law who love skiing and are great at it.
Hedonic Tilt - Spend More Now, Less Later (in retirement)
Old 03-31-2016, 10:42 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Hedonic Tilt - Spend More Now, Less Later (in retirement)

Quote:
Agree as well. Don't enjoy being scared. Certainly don't ski for fitness benefits. I doubt my HR goes over 120 the whole time. I just enjoy being outside in the winter and experiencing some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world. I hope to continue even though my DW is not as keen as she once was. Instead I will probably just ski with daughter and son-in-law who love skiing and are great at it.

We went from Sundance to Aspen last year to one of the ski areas that had very poor signage... Got put in a pickle where the choice was go down a black run, scream for help, or take the skis off and slide down the hill.. Im not a screamer so I took my skis off and slide down the hill! But I would have screamed before I skiied it. No blacks any more for me.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

We tapered off whitewater activities after a spill and my encounter with a boulder in a canyon. We're feeling pretty mortal these days.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:16 PM   #98

I'm on bunny slope nowadays when I go skiing with my kid. My kid can be at advance slope but not me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-31-2016, 08:35 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is my outlook also. I spent a year + hurting form arthritis in one hip that came from a motorcycle accident almost 50 years ago. I know too many older men who have picked up chronic pain and disability from their athletic and adventure pasts. Marketers who try to identify adventure pursuits with health don't impress me, they are completely separate issues. Being active is important, but again that has little to do with ski-ing or mountain climbing or scuba diving.

Ha
+1.

At my age, personally I feel safest in the gym and get the results I want so that is my choice for exercise. There I can be active, without as much chance of injury as in some of the most adventuresome sports. Injuries really set me back in my fitness goals.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:45 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Doesn't sound very encouraging. Surprised you would give them another chance?
It was a few years ago and we felt that it might have been a random recurrence. This time will prove that. We want them to succeed!