Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Justwondering... I would look at it this way... Never depend on other people to do your thinking for you. That is a sure way to financial ruin. Asking about others thoughts are good, and understanding their reasons are equally good. But if I did not fully understand what I was investing in... I would never do it. I would suggest that you get your hands on some good investing books... and try to uderstand what these people are really investing in. If it is not a scam, they will be glad to answer all of your questions, show you the information in print that you want to see etc. If it is a scam, there will be a never ending list of reasons they cannot show you what you are asking for. They may even ask why you do not "trust" them... and they are "insulted" that you are asking...That is your cue to leave....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

The thing that's so confusing is that they take members to the opportunity sites (in Dominican Republic, Belize, etc.) so that they can talk with the builders or whoever. Why would Archie Robertson, the CEO of HEIR, want these people together on a trip if it's a scam? Not all people going on the trip are new members; some joined a few years ago and are interested in investing in other projects.

You would think if it was a scam, he'd want to keep members away from each other. Maybe I'm really naive....
Old 11-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gosh read the related thread "How do you get your wife on board?". Latest post today. Seems just like "HEIR".
Old 11-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just wondering View Post
The thing that's so confusing is that they take members to the opportunity sites (in Dominican Republic, Belize, etc.) so that they can talk with the builders or whoever. Why would Archie Robertson, the CEO of HEIR, want these people together on a trip if it's a scam? Not all people going on the trip are new members; some joined a few years ago and are interested in investing in other projects.

You would think if it was a scam, he'd want to keep members away from each other. Maybe I'm really naive....
It's called a "dog and pony" show, it's done all the time. Kind of like when you are being sold a timeshare.

It's probably legit, but I am willing to bet "Archie" makes $30 for every $1 you make.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Armor99, that's good advice. My problem is that I don't even know which questions to ask of HEIR to find out whether it's a scam or not. Can you or others recommend some good investing books?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Armor99, that's good advice. My problem is that I don't even know which questions to ask of HEIR to find out whether it's a scam or not. Can you or others recommend some good investing books?
Your Money or Your Life
Four Pillars
Any John Bogle book
Dave Ramsey's Money Makeover

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

OAG -- it is a related thread. That thread IS about HEIR. That's how I found this forum. I Googled, and that thread came up. But there's been nothing since June. I was the one who just posted on it a few minutes ago. Kombat was the poster who is trying to convince his wife that HEIR is a scam. I'd love to know how things have turned out for them!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks FinanceDude. I'll definitely check those out!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Wait a Year and ask your Brother how he is doing financially with the process. He seems to by your best source of real hands on information. Of course he may not want to share bad information with you (may enter denial).
I respectfully disagree that this would tell you whether or not this was a good investment.

Once someone has "bought" the goods, it's hard to be objective - and especially if they never learned the basics of what makes something a good or bad investment and just reads the info given to them by the company as a gauge of whether it was a good investment, you are not likely to get objective information.

I have a friend who bought a POS policy and still "believes" it's a good investment, although by any objective measure it stinks doo doo...

Even if your friend/brother feels screwed, they might not want to admit it and tell you how bad it was...
Old 11-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
I respectfully disagree that this would tell you whether or not this was a good investment.

Once someone has "bought" the goods, it's hard to be objective - and especially if they never learned the basics of what makes something a good or bad investment and just reads the info given to them by the company as a gauge of whether it was a good investment, you are not likely to get objective information.

I have a friend who bought a POS policy and still "believes" it's a good investment, although by any objective measure it stinks doo doo...

Even if your friend/brother feels screwed, they might not want to admit it
and tell you how bad it was...
I did not say his brother's experience would show it was a "good investment" only that he could get his brother's experience with it. I think I said his brother (may be in denial) if the experience is bad.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #31
Confused about dryer sheets

Loss of money???

One good way to assess it is to find out if any of the members involved have ever lost any money. As I understand it from some folk involved with HEIR no one ever has (over a 1,000 clients). As well they have a guarantee of not losing money and no one has taken them up on it in over four years. So I'm told anyway. Worth checking out how accurate that is!
Old 11-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanhope View Post
One good way to assess it is to find out if any of the members involved have ever lost any money. As I understand it from some folk involved with HEIR no one ever has (over a 1,000 clients). As well they have a guarantee of not losing money and no one has taken them up on it in over four years. So I'm told anyway. Worth checking out how accurate that is!
I would ask: Who is guaranteeing the guarantee? It isn't worth the paper it's printed on if there aren't sufficent assets to fund all othe outstanding guarantees when the pyramid market collapses- which, after four years is increasingly likely in a scheme innovative investment opportunity like this.
Stanhope, what else do you know?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

Stanhope, what else do you know?

Quote:
I've recently been looking into investing through a "wealth building" company called HEIR (Home Equity Investment Rewards). I've been to a few meetings, my brother has invested, and I've got my brother-in-law and sister-in-law looking into it as well. From what I've seen on this forum, people believe it's a scam. Does anyone have any recent experience or knowledge of the operation?
Hey Stanhope, you seem awfully knoweldgeable about HEIR -- what's your connection? You must have some inside track to know about the guarantee that people won't lose money and that no one has lost money in 4 years. How do you know that, unless you're an insider
Old 11-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #34

Quote:
As well they have a guarantee of not losing money and no one has taken them up on it in over four years.
SCAM ALERT!

Any investment that guarantees not to lose your money is either lying...or investing in US Treasuries.
What's an insider
Old 11-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #35

What's an insider

Been to some meetings. Know some people who have done very well with their RRSP's. Not part of the inside as a consultant though. As to the guarantee I see enough integrity in the leadership to admit if something wasn't what it appeared to be. Did hear of one opportunity where they (company) walked away from a deal because it was shaky. They seem to be very concerned and committed to dealing with only reputable providers. To date I haven't seen or heard from others of any that haven't been credible and reputable.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Been to some meetings. Know some people who have done very well with their RRSP's. Not part of the inside as a consultant though.
Uh huh. Your only posts are about HEIR. They oddly follow another new user whose first (only?) posts are about HEIR.

How much is the initiation fee for HEIR?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

After wasting some time on the website and looking around the internet at this gross scam I am now washing my hands repeatedly. I saw one reviewer gushingly praise HEIR and say that they now "lived an abundance lifestyle" (this gagfest makes Kiyosaki look legit), I now have several more sayings to offer up:

There's a sucker born every minute.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:30 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
After wasting some time on the website and looking around the internet at this gross scam I am now washing my hands repeatedly. I saw one reviewer gushingly praise HEIR and say that they now "lived an abundance lifestyle" (this gagfest makes Kiyosaki look legit), I now have several more sayings to offer up:
There's a sucker born every minute.
A fool and his money are soon parted.
I hate to interrupt their dialogue, but do "stanhope" and "just wondering" share IP addresses with any of the other Canadian jokesters/spammers we've had to deal with here?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I hate to interrupt their dialogue, but do "stanhope" and "just wondering" share IP addresses with any of the other Canadian jokesters/spammers we've had to deal with here?
Don't know who their IP provider is, but HEIR is the abbreviation for Retirement Income, Eh? backwards
To our southern friends
Old 11-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #40

To our southern friends

One thing seems clear (at least to me) with all respect to our fine southern friends on their voting day - you are not very familiar with the Canadian scene. I've referred only to RRSP's. Each of our provinces have securities commissions that oversee the industry. It would help if you are going to make comments about how you see this as a scam to be a little familiar with our situation. If anything was amiss in what this particular company (HEIR) is doing in linking clients with sound and recognized RRSP's providers (dealing in real estate opportunities) the word would have been out on this quite some time ago and they would have been shut down.
Closed Thread