Help - E filing taxes on last day

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So I get home last night at 2AM after 2 1/2 months in the sun and get up early to file my taxes. I used the great free taxcut s/w that wab mentioned (thanks wab for saving me 40-50 bucks). It imported my 2005 turbo tax numbers, I quickly updated the numbers for 2006, and I was off to the races with a 2000+ refund. Went to print it out but it asked me if I wanted to efile -- why not, it will save me a trip to a crowded post office.

Clicked through and got these charges, 15 for one thing, 25 for another, but that's ok, that's what I would have payed for the s/w anyway and I still get out of going to the post office. Did the final click and it told me my return had been sent to the IRS and the IRS "usually" gives a status update 24 to 48 hours after transmission.

WTF?? 24 hours is tomorrow, the 18, and I would be overfrickingdue! I did get a date and time that tax cut said the filing had been made, but I couldn't print that out, and anyway it was a tax cut number, not an IRS number.

Does anyone know how reliable this efiling is, especially on the last day? Should I still go down to the PO and mail paper to make sure I have proof? Or would getting an efiling and paper make the IRS computers very angry at me?

You're very probably OK. Besides, if you are getting money back, I don't think you get into trouble with filing late. There is no penalty.

Even though turbotax said 24 hours, we got an email back with 2 hours. Hopefully taxcut works the same way.

Audrey

You just need to file before April 17th. What they mean by IRS status is if your return passes the basic test that IRS has for tax filings like SSN valid and couple of other simple things. So you are good to go. It is like getting the postmark before April 17th and you got it

-h

I just got an email from taxcut saying they've received my return. I also did an online customer chat with taxcut and they told me the IRS would receive it today but may not process it today. So I'm cool with taxcut and with efiling, saved me a lot of time and effort, and even with the cost of efiling it was a wash because the s/w was free. Thanks again, wab, audreyh1, lswswein, and everyone here who is so helpful with these matters. Now if only I could go back to the sun.

Back
Top Bottom