Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
When I want bacon, I pull out the number of 3-strip units that I want. These thaw very quickly (especially if held under some warm running water, if you're in a real hurry).
You thaw out bacon? I've always cooked it from frozen. It's not like there's going to be a big lump of ice in the middle as there might be with a huge lump of beef or a turkey.

Just drop the slab in the hot pan, wait 30 seconds, turn it over, peel off a slice, wait 30 seconds more, then repeat (waiting a little less between turns each time).
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a very observant Muslim friend from Algeria. He has observed many times that his people/tribe in Algeria frequently hunt and eat pigs, although this is done out of sight (cooked and eaten in the wild when hunting).

He has never eaten bacon (or any pork) on purpose. He wants to so very badly. I try not to taunt him, but it is difficult when I order the bacon burger.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
lol... "When Moderators Hijack Threads" or "Good Moderators Gone Bad"
just kidding. i LOVE bacon too
Nay, on the contrary, the moderators are specially selected & trained for their ability to introduce bacon topics to selected threads!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hypothesis - if I stop reading/watching silly investment stuff, buying an index fund(lifecycle type for my age) and research meaning things - like the in's and out's of BACON have we reached an ER theoretical breakthrough?

I don't remember reading anything like this on other investment forums.

I think we can take credit here.

heh heh heh - next we need a corallary including Football!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I dunno about football, but RV seems to get a bit of interests.

Next topic: The best way to cook bacon while RV'ing. Would the smell attract bears if you are boondocking by the side of the Alcan highway? Betcha it does!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlfo718 View Post
I would use Bogleheads.org for any financial planning advice. There are tons of users that are also financial planners who do not have conflict of interest and is free.
I second this recommendation in the strongest possible terms. And (although nobody asked directly) I recommend Vanguard index funds, in an appropriate balance between equities, fixed income and cash, as the smartest and cheapest way to hold those low or high millions of dollars.

Others may disagree; I understand that but that's my philosophy.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Next topic: The best way to cook bacon while RV'ing. Would the smell attract bears if you are boondocking by the side of the Alcan highway? Betcha it does!
Strong smelling stuff like bacon surely would attract ursine critters, but I am told they have a strong sweet tooth and sweets are the most powerful bear attractant. Honey glazed bacon would probably be the ne plus utra.

Can/do bears ever invade RVs? Given the construction of most, I would guess that a sufficiently motivated bear would get into the average trailer or motorhome. When we are camping in bear territory (basically CO west of I25) I pack some large caliber bear medicine, but we are pretty careful to not leave things lying around that would attract bears. Always wonder if they would try to come into the camper where the food is.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
I have a very observant Muslim friend from Algeria. He has observed many times that his people/tribe in Algeria frequently hunt and eat pigs, although this is done out of sight (cooked and eaten in the wild when hunting).

He has never eaten bacon (or any pork) on purpose. He wants to so very badly. I try not to taunt him, but it is difficult when I order the bacon burger.
Order the poor guy a packet of duck bacon.

- George Orwell

Old 08-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I have told my wife that if I croak unexpectedly, she is to transfer everything to Wellesley. Given the integrity of Vanguard and the fund, I would not be afraid of any shenanigan, besides having the confidence that the stable performance would continue. I might chose another fund outside of Vanguard, just for a bit more diversification and protection.

With that said, I shall get back to the bacon business and RV. The problem with traveling in Alaska is that one has to go through Canada, which has strict gun regulations. Handguns are a big no-no, and long guns require some licensing fees.

Nevertheless, I would not want to tempt any bear with the yummy bacon smell. Bear claw marks on trees have been observed more than 10 ft up, which is higher than my motor home. A big grizzly can easily rip the wall of an RV from top to bottom in one fell swoop. Guns or no guns, it is not easy to keep from wetting one's pants. A small gun may just get the bear itchy, making it madder . A 357 might be OK, but does it need all 6 shots to hit? And do you know how loud a large gun would sound inside a home, leave alone an RV? You would be deaf for a long time after the 1st shot, if your hearing is not permanently damaged.

No, definitely no bacon. Maybe just ramen noodles. :-)

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have told my wife that if I croak unexpectedly, she is to transfer everything to Wellesley. Given the integrity of Vanguard and the fund, I would not be afraid of any shenanigan, besides having the confidence that the stable performance would continue. I might chose another fund outside of Vanguard, just for a bit more diversification and protection.

With that said, I shall get back to the bacon business and RV. The problem with traveling in Alaska is that one has to go through Canada, which has strict gun regulations. Handguns are a big no-no, and long guns require some licensing fees.

Nevertheless, I would not want to tempt any bear with the yummy bacon smell. Bear claw marks on trees have been observed more than 10 ft up, which is higher than my motor home. A big grizzly can easily rip the wall of an RV from top to bottom in one fell swoop. Guns or no guns, it is not easy to keep from wetting one's pants. A small gun may just get the bear itchy, making it madder . A 357 might be OK, but does it need all 6 shots to hit? And do you know how loud a large gun would sound inside a home, leave alone an RV? You would be deaf for a long time after the 1st shot, if your hearing is not permanently damaged.

No, definitely no bacon. Maybe just ramen noodles. :-)
I keep an updated instruction list for DW in the event of my demise. Since she is not financially minded, a set of instructions is helpful. Plus, I expect everyone will be upset and a simple "to do" should make all the difference.

When I tried out my latest acquisition in the woods I coudl hear the echoes of the report off the nearest hill even through the hearing protectors I was wearing. I can imagine what the hearing loss would be in a confined space. But if it were a choice between my hearing and protecting DW and the kids, no contest. The carbine holds 10 rounds of .44 ammo, so I might be deaf for life but mr. bear would be a lump of greasy meat.

In any case, much smarter to be bear aware and keep attractants tucked away.

Edited to add: How is that for thread-jacking?

- George Orwell

Old 08-22-2012, 03:11 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I learned that many people of wealth are hidden, isolated, and troubled about their wealth. I wanted to help people in that frame of mind start to heal their wounds around wealth [...].
Gosh, life is tough. Good that someone is helping out these poor fellows.
RISP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

The original topic was interesting, but I never buy bacon, seldom eat it out, except at buffet, and consequently I am completely unable to contribute to the thread.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
A 357 might be OK, but does it need all 6 shots to hit? And do you know how loud a large gun would sound inside a home, leave alone an RV? You would be deaf for a long time after the 1st shot, if your hearing is not permanently damaged.
Let's go one more step away:

Do what I did. Get a 454 Casull. The muzzle blast alone will scare away the bear. I wear ear plugs AND ear muffs when I shoot it, and it is a necessary requirement. The whole range stops and looks when I let one off, especially when shooting under cover. You probably won't hit anything after the first shot because you either dropped the gun or are holding your wrist in pain, but hit or miss, the bear will likely be gone.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
Let's go one more step away:

Do what I did. Get a 454 Casull. The muzzle blast alone will scare away the bear. I wear ear plugs AND ear muffs when I shoot it, and it is a necessary requirement. The whole range stops and looks when I let one off, especially when shooting under cover. You probably won't hit anything after the first shot because you either dropped the gun or are holding your wrist in pain, but hit or miss, the bear will likely be gone.
What could possible go wrong with this?

In the unlikely event that I find myself in an RV exposed to potential unwanted bear attention I'm following Brewer's advice
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

In any case, much smarter to be bear aware and keep attractants tucked away.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I take it that it would also be unlikely to find yourself in an RV that is not exposed to bear hazard?

RV is certainly not for everyone. Else, there would be a traffic jam on the Alcan highway, more busy than it already is.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
I take it that it would also be unlikely to find yourself in an RV that is not exposed to bear hazard?
RV'ing sounds like it could be lots of fun, but it's not for me - I don't like to drive. Going along as a passenger is something I wouldn't mind trying.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Nay, on the contrary, the moderators are specially selected & trained for their ability to introduce bacon topics to selected threads!
Unfortunately, it all too often takes the form of Porky Pig.

Back on topic. I believe that the keys to financial and money management success for most of us are simple thrift and being risk averse. Those are qualities that many millionaires don't possess; the highly paid have never learned thrift and so spend too much when they have a limited fixed income; the people that made their money through risky speculation will roll the dice again and might loose a lot that time around and those that inherit or win money just haven't have the experience to manage it correctly.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords wrote.

I suspect that this pricing could lead to an opportunity for entrepreneurial early retirees. Why, for just $5000 I could offer an intensive three-day curriculum on Oahu that covers the same subjects and includes a free surfing lesson!

one question.........hosted bar?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
The original topic was interesting, but I never buy bacon, seldom eat it out, except at buffet, and consequently I am completely unable to contribute to the thread.
The two topics running through this thread make a lot of sense when you see that bacon deniers are similar to people who inherit wealth. It's a guilt thing.

I learned that many people that don't eat bacon are hidden, isolated, and troubled about their eating habits.

I learned that many people of wealth are hidden, isolated, and troubled about their wealth.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

So, perhaps Bacon ≈ Wealth?

If so, it follows that one can substitute for the other, or at least complement it?

It now makes more sense to me. Thanks for the enlightenment. Only here in the ER forum. I am sure many financial writers who lurk here are taking notes.