help in planing

I think ed and john, with all their gun crap, are mirrored in "Deliverance".

so no reach around from the libs? Oh well did not expect one you just do it dry and then run and tell all the other libs,

gal's comments are not worth answering as they are snipes not questions or debate.
You failed to address why you are afraid to retire. You state you need to physically

My back and knees are starting to show my work choice
you state you can afford to fiscally as your wife's income plus 1k from savings covers your expenses, which you would do in retirement anyway

draw 1k a month from the cd intrest, my wife pays most of the bills from her income, and I save what I make in cd's
.... so what is holding you back?

Well, I must jump back in and defend my former
fellow Michigander, ed. I love this guy as he reminds me of me, especially re. the gun thing. I don't know about the women and power tools remark, as I am quite
unhandy and so can't really compare. For example, DW
will tackle about any home projectm, but the results
often are lacking. But, I digress.

Ed and I are confirmed members of the "gun culture". We love guns and want to own/use them with
minimal interference from government (all levels)
or anyone else. I am not sure about Ed's retirement
issues, but his take on gun issues and liberals mirror mine
almost exactly. Remember a chicken in every pot?
People who are armed can provide their own chicken, plus recreation and personal protection, all at the same time.

JG

what makes you think fear is the problem? Jealousy?
I am where I am because of my caucusesness, I don't tie my shoes with out a plan and a back up plan.
Making a switch from working day in and day out, to semi retiring, is a big step, do I want to start a b&b in Louisiana? or just stay where I am and go south for the winters.
btw, have not posted because I have been shopping for my new colt 1911A1, found a deal in stainless. sold a property that I managed and have a nice little 3k coming from it. so I always save most but a little present is deserved. hey john this makes an even 100
Back to the retirement thing, my wife likes her job. I still do some work for designers, and we can easily no go to Louisiana or Mississippi and sun and fun in our travel trailer. we bought a new 04 keystone. with queen bed. I think we can live in it if we take our bikes, and hike.
we want to look for a nice town, with good demographics,
Arkansas is very nice and the home prices are 40% less than here,
any one who says Arkansas is a hillbillies / redneck state has never been there, the low mountains and rock make beautiful vistas a dime a dozen. coupled with low taxes and now, many people from NY,Ohio,Michigan, ill, ect are moving so it looses the you from up north type of attitude that you see in some other southern states. Like some parts of ga, fla, ect.
I am going to take it slow, as far as girl is concerned, what am I afraid of with my financing? well people who are not afraid of making bad choices will never have to worry about my situation.

Hey Ed! Arkansas would have had appeal (great duck hunting for one), but not nearly warm enough for us. In fact,
the spot we finally settled on in Texas is not warm enough
either. We wanted to be on the Gulf somewhere, but I got tired of looking and took the path of least resistance
in buying in an area where I had lived previously. Reduces the chances you will make a mistake.
Everyone has heard about someone who retired to Florida and was back up north in 6 months. You've got to do your homework. If you know someone well who is
already in the area you are focused on, that would give you
a big leg up.

JG

I totally agree, by taking the tt, south for 4 to 5 years, it gives us time to make the jump from part time to full time, and we can live in a town for a month, and see if we like it.
If I move I only want to do it once, as I said before I have lived in Wyoming, would not live there on a million dollar bet. and fla.
Fla. is nice, but flat, very flat, hunting is hard because it has to be done on private land, so you have to know someone.
Arkansas is a great hunting area, and the taxes are low. 3 to 7 inc. of snow a year, I can live with that,
they get spring starting in march, we don't till may.
I want a little land, some place to send a little lead down range with out worrying. and it is a shall issue state, although my Michigan lic. is good for 5 years. there is no reciprocity between Michigan and ark. but I think they give nonres. lic. so all can be well. Louisiana is nice, out side of nola but close enough to do a day trip. Natchitoches is nice, if you have never been there, they filmed the movie "steel magnolias" there, I saw the homes that were in the movie, not my favorite movie, but the town is very proud of it, I looked at the home that Darryl Hannas character lived in to buy, the one with the brick pillars in front. needed much work and was on the national historical reg. you cant make a move on those unless you have a game plan for every nail and get permission for it. It will be fun looking. when up north they are getting snow, and I will be riding my bike around palms and live oaks.

Here is another aspect of this (searching for a retirement
location) that I am not sure has been mentioned. We looked mainly in Texas and Florida once we agreed on
warm weather/big water. I spent 2 years taking trips to both states, talking to realtors, looking at property, etc etc. Some of this was fun but much of it was exhausting. Having a system to cut down on the options ahead of time is important IMHO. We started
with Texas or Florida near big water. This proved to be
a pretty tall order once I really started seriously looking.

JG

I am sitting in the passenger seat as we drive accross the panhandle of Florida. The view isn't too exciting to I took the time to read this thread. It is interesting how unhelpful it is to argue using insulting language. Can anyone ever believe they are persuasive? Or is that even the goal? Some seem to simply like to goad others to see what they will say.

For what it is worth.

Back to staring out the window.

Martha

Martha,

curious, as to what you are using for an internet connection on the road?

Hi Martha. Did you visit Carravelle (sp?) in the Fla. panhandle?
Very nice area.

JG

I think she said in another thread that she was using a cell phone connection to "dial up". A feature of many upper end phones. Some new wireless services showing up about now offer both fixed and mobile high speed wireless connections. I can get high speed wireless to my house (~1Mb/s) for $20-30 a month. "ThreeG" is one of the offerings. 802.16 is another.

Lighten up boys! :)

I would like to see the harrassment of Ed stop. He knows a lot of things, he has actually been there and done that on many fronts.

I'm not sure that this forum would work best if everyone other than Dilberts and former Dilberts could be driven off.

Mikey

Lighten up boys!  :)

I would like to see the harrassment of Ed stop. He knows a lot of things, he has actually been there and done that on many fronts.

I'm not sure that this forum would work best if everyone other than Dilberts and former Dilberts could be driven off.

Mikey

Gotta disagree with you here Mikey. He started it with an opening salvo to me. He then went on with a Racist and Sexist diatribe that would p*ss off anyone with any intelligence at all.

I quit responding to him, mostly because i don't converse with idiots. He brings it on himself, and if he personally does not enjoy the attacks, then he can find an Aran White Nation Forum and live happily ever after.

Gotta disagree with you here Mikey. He started it with an opening salvo to me. He then went on with a Racist and Sexist diatribe that would p*ss off anyone with any intelligence at all.
My secret is out- I have no intelligence at all :)
Mikey

I think she said in another thread that she was using a cell phone connection to "dial up". A feature of many upper end phones. Some new wireless services showing up about now offer both fixed and mobile high speed wireless connections. I can get high speed wireless to my house (~1Mb/s) for $20-30 a month. "ThreeG" is one of the offerings. 802.16 is another.

Yeah, I am using Verizon "National Access" to get on the Internet. No ISP needed beyond Verizon. It isn't quite as slow as dial up but close. It isn't available everywhere but in the eastern half of the US the coverage is great. Some places where it isn't available because I am not on the Verizon network, I can still get on the Internet through a very slow 14.4 connection. OK for email.

John, didn't get to Caravelle, but spent a fair amount of time in the Destin area.

Right now in D'lo Mississippi planning to canoe tomorrow.

Martha

Hi TH, you hitting on me again, I told you in the last pm that I am strait.
any way, I agree with john, I bought the book where to retire, It is very helpful with finding locations.
It gives you state by state tax, housing, food, and health costs on average.
there is also a web site my spot.com, you fill out a question sheet, and if gives you the best spots that fit your profile. you can also direct it as to what region you want to live. south west, south east, ect.
there are many nice places in the south, but fla. is not on my top, I lived there for 7 years. and it is getting too expensive. and crowded.

cut, "he started it" I bet if were on bus together you would be yelling "HE'S TOUCHING ME HE'S TOUCHING Me"
By the way th, I really am not a raciest, a raciest feels that their race if superior and I don't, I feel people should be taken one at a time, but I also do not go with the liberal crap that the Indians were screwed, It was wrong to have slaves, ect. was it wrong, sure it was all wrong, but there were wrongs on both sides, and guess do your history, blacks hunted and sold blacks into slavery in Africa, and still do some pretty nasty things there. but you know what? the slavery, and Indian wars is all history, and that is where is should stay, I get sick and tired of the liberal bringing up how is is a white mans problem today.
bull crap, my grate granddaddy what ever he did or did not do is not the responsibility of me or any one else. and it is not the responsibility of any Indian to repay or take responsibility for the killing of any white settler.
I even take it to Germany, when the last holocaust victim is dead, and the last nsdap party member is dead that took part in those events, then it is just that dead, and in the history books.
The liberals have no ideas and so they have to keep this crap alive to keep what voting base they have, minorities [by promising them something for free] and stupid white people.
Take Jessie Jackson, I do not respect him at all, he need racism kept alive, why, he is out of a job if it is dead. so he goes around spewing any far fetched load of crap and those that want to be victims follow. very sad the road the liberals have taken some of the party down,
I will stop saying dems. because there are some good dems. I.E. zell miller, Joe Lieberman, the latter who has the common since to say that the war in Iraq is a necessary evil.
the liberals would have us sit in trees singing coumbya holding hands telling eachother as the radical Moslems blow up NY that we deserve it because we have destroyed the earth, created a green house effect, killed millions of innocent people for us expansion and we are no better than Nazi's.
Well boys that is exactly why you have lost the election in 94 and have continued to loose since.

It was 2000 when Gore lost.

Glad you're here to pick on - JG was getting lonely.

Although, it's more fun in the dougnut shop to watch old Chuck's(not his real name) face turn red when I tell him what a sweetie Hillary Clinton is  - or Ted Kennedy is really distinguished now that he has grey hair.

GWB is way too liberal - but the best they could do according to him.

When you get 'old' you will realize both sides are trying to pick your pocket in one way or another.

Hi unclemick! Yep, ed really took the pressure off :)

I agree with your friend "Chuck" about GWB being way
too liberal, but then almost everyone is for me.
Alan Keyes might have gotten my vote if I was
registered.

I certainly agree with you about both sides trying
to
"get in your pocket".

JG

I totaly agree about the pocket thing, personaly I dont like the federal government, an evil that we need for things like national defence, but an oh so dangerous evil.
I know picking on the dems is like picking a piece of crap out of the old septic tank and saying this piece of crap stinks more then the others.
But the liberals have been taken over by the extreme nut jobs, anti everything, animal rights, tree hugging, women non leg shaving, femminazi's, and the list goes on and on, you know if the dems would return to the days of FDR, and truman, they could sweep the cong. and white house.
But instead they pander to the likes of mumia,ed asner,fonda,kenned[hickop]y, phoolsy, and many of the black [the white man is evil] types like louie the moslem.
as long as they burn suv's, and the flag,spike trees, and fight against private property rights, they will loose.
you have liberal teachers telling kids who cant tie their own shoes that we brought nine eleven on ourselves.
They never learn, they just go fly fishing.

Lighten up boys!  :)

Mikey

Mikey: Agree with you on this.
Ed strikes me as a young guy that has done a lot of living. I just read all of his posts, and while some remarks could be considered not PC (Like many of us from time to time), he had the guts to sit down at his keyboard and let it rip.
Ed, for sure, has strong opinions about a lot of different subjects, but I see no evidence that he is a racist.
I personally feel that the "piling on" is because he isn't marching in lock-step with the majority of posters on this board.
By the way Hyperborea, what's your purpose for pointing out spelling errors on two of Ed's posts? (You're better than that!).

I'm afraid there wont be any apologies from me.

Ed started tirades against people, was the first to insult, and his posts are incoherent, rude, insulting, ignorant and racist.

Hey TH, I don't think you owe anyone an apology
(even though you compare gun owners to
rattlesnakes). I do think you should cut Ed some
slack. Maybe his delivery could be more polished but
he obviously feels strongly about important issues.
And, we still have that thing called the First Amendment.
I say let the invective flow. It's healthy in the long run
IMHO.

JG

Back
Top Bottom