Join Early Retirement Today

Re: help in planing
Old 03-03-2005, 08:06 AM   #121

gal's comments are not worth answering as they are snipes not questions or debate.
but as for the question about must you carry concealed? the answer is in every state that issues a ccw, which is 38 and counting, Yes you must it would be a crime to have it visible, if some one sees a lump in your shirt? to bad, they will just have to guess, but it must be covered.
women that have a thing against guns have never and I mean never shot a gun or even picked one up. If they say they have they are liars, once you learn about firearms, you learn that the myth about how deadly they are even when empty, is bull crap. like being afraid of fire and never having used it. dangerous? sure getting out of bed is dangerous, but if you are an ADULT. REPEAT ADULT you learn how to use tools, that is why very few women can use power tools correctly. they see a chain saw and think of Hollywood Texas chain saw massacres. They have not got a clue that cutting trees is a good thing. you can burn the wood for heat, make a table [if you know how to use power tools] and if you use cedar you can take the chips and put them in an old sock and put it in your top drawer for the aroma. the problem with liberals is they want the beef but don't want to know about the gut pile. every burger you eat there is a gut pile some where. every mcmuffin, pot pie, pizza with pepperoni, and the list goes on and on, even the Jell-O you make for your kids has animal by products. and there is that gut pile thing. I just choose to make my own gut pile.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2005, 08:30 AM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
gal's comments are not worth answering as they are snipes not questions or debate.
Ed's comments are not worth answering as they are incoherent, sexist ramblings.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:03 AM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Re: "Help" with everything

Quote:
... that is why very few women can use *power tools correctly.
Ed, you know that the majority of Home Depot customers are women, right?

I've been trying to keep up but you've crossed the line too many times to merit further discussion. Good talking to you and have a nice life now...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:20 AM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks ed t. for the bit of nostalgia you bring to this forum.

When I occasionally waste my time to read your shorter ramblings, :-/ I am reminded of the last scene from the movie "Easy Rider". I can sense the family resemblance between you and the passenger in the pickup truck. Yeh, the one that blows the Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda characters away. Of course, let's not forget the other movie's peaceful scene when Jack Nick's character's brains gets bashed in.
Does the 2nd ammendment cover the patriotic baseball bat as well?

Kill those mudda f--kin hippies, lawyas and "blue" commie liberals.

MJ
Old 03-03-2005, 09:37 AM   #125

Quote:
I've been trying to keep up but you've crossed the line too many times to merit further discussion. Good talking to you and have a nice life now...
My previous reply to him was my 1st and last.

I agree with you, responding to him, gets you only more of the same.

Darn, where is that delete button?

MJ
Old 03-03-2005, 03:40 PM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think ed and john, with all their gun crap, are mirrored in "Deliverance".
Old 03-03-2005, 03:42 PM   #127

so no reach around from the libs? Oh well did not expect one you just do it dry and then run and tell all the other libs,
Old 03-04-2005, 09:23 AM   #128
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
You failed to address why you are afraid to retire. You state you need to physically

Quote:
My back and knees are starting to show my work choice
you state you can afford to fiscally as your wife's income plus 1k from savings covers your expenses, which you would do in retirement anyway

Quote:
draw 1k a month from the cd intrest, my wife pays most of the bills from her income, and I save what I make in cd's
.... so what is holding you back?

Old 03-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #129

Quote:
.... so what is holding you back?
If I was to guess based on what's been displayed so far I would say it's the fear of being emasculated and viewed as a "house husband".
Old 03-04-2005, 09:07 PM   #130

Quote:

. . . I would say it's the fear of being emasculated. . .
I hate when that happens.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:46 AM   #131

Well, I must jump back in and defend my former
fellow Michigander, ed. I love this guy as he reminds me of me, especially re. the gun thing. I don't know about the women and power tools remark, as I am quite
unhandy and so can't really compare. For example, DW
will tackle about any home projectm, but the results
often are lacking. But, I digress.

Ed and I are confirmed members of the "gun culture". We love guns and want to own/use them with
minimal interference from government (all levels)
or anyone else. I am not sure about Ed's retirement
issues, but his take on gun issues and liberals mirror mine
almost exactly. Remember a chicken in every pot?
People who are armed can provide their own chicken, plus recreation and personal protection, all at the same time.

JG
Old 03-05-2005, 03:03 AM   #132

what makes you think fear is the problem? Jealousy?
I am where I am because of my caucusesness, I don't tie my shoes with out a plan and a back up plan.
Making a switch from working day in and day out, to semi retiring, is a big step, do I want to start a b&b in Louisiana? or just stay where I am and go south for the winters.
btw, have not posted because I have been shopping for my new colt 1911A1, found a deal in stainless. sold a property that I managed and have a nice little 3k coming from it. so I always save most but a little present is deserved. hey john this makes an even 100
Back to the retirement thing, my wife likes her job. I still do some work for designers, and we can easily no go to Louisiana or Mississippi and sun and fun in our travel trailer. we bought a new 04 keystone. with queen bed. I think we can live in it if we take our bikes, and hike.
we want to look for a nice town, with good demographics,
Arkansas is very nice and the home prices are 40% less than here,
any one who says Arkansas is a hillbillies / redneck state has never been there, the low mountains and rock make beautiful vistas a dime a dozen. coupled with low taxes and now, many people from NY,Ohio,Michigan, ill, ect are moving so it looses the you from up north type of attitude that you see in some other southern states. Like some parts of ga, fla, ect.
I am going to take it slow, as far as girl is concerned, what am I afraid of with my financing? well people who are not afraid of making bad choices will never have to worry about my situation.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:18 AM   #133

Hey Ed! Arkansas would have had appeal (great duck hunting for one), but not nearly warm enough for us. In fact,
the spot we finally settled on in Texas is not warm enough
either. We wanted to be on the Gulf somewhere, but I got tired of looking and took the path of least resistance
in buying in an area where I had lived previously. Reduces the chances you will make a mistake.
Everyone has heard about someone who retired to Florida and was back up north in 6 months. You've got to do your homework. If you know someone well who is
already in the area you are focused on, that would give you
a big leg up.

JG
Old 03-05-2005, 05:35 AM   #134

I totally agree, by taking the tt, south for 4 to 5 years, it gives us time to make the jump from part time to full time, and we can live in a town for a month, and see if we like it.
If I move I only want to do it once, as I said before I have lived in Wyoming, would not live there on a million dollar bet. and fla.
Fla. is nice, but flat, very flat, hunting is hard because it has to be done on private land, so you have to know someone.
Arkansas is a great hunting area, and the taxes are low. 3 to 7 inc. of snow a year, I can live with that,
they get spring starting in march, we don't till may.
I want a little land, some place to send a little lead down range with out worrying. and it is a shall issue state, although my Michigan lic. is good for 5 years. there is no reciprocity between Michigan and ark. but I think they give nonres. lic. so all can be well. Louisiana is nice, out side of nola but close enough to do a day trip. Natchitoches is nice, if you have never been there, they filmed the movie "steel magnolias" there, I saw the homes that were in the movie, not my favorite movie, but the town is very proud of it, I looked at the home that Darryl Hannas character lived in to buy, the one with the brick pillars in front. needed much work and was on the national historical reg. you cant make a move on those unless you have a game plan for every nail and get permission for it. It will be fun looking. when up north they are getting snow, and I will be riding my bike around palms and live oaks.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:43 AM   #135

Here is another aspect of this (searching for a retirement
location) that I am not sure has been mentioned. We looked mainly in Texas and Florida once we agreed on
warm weather/big water. I spent 2 years taking trips to both states, talking to realtors, looking at property, etc etc. Some of this was fun but much of it was exhausting. Having a system to cut down on the options ahead of time is important IMHO. We started
with Texas or Florida near big water. This proved to be
a pretty tall order once I really started seriously looking.

JG
Old 03-05-2005, 08:32 AM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

I am sitting in the passenger seat as we drive accross the panhandle of Florida. The view isn't too exciting to I took the time to read this thread. It is interesting how unhelpful it is to argue using insulting language. Can anyone ever believe they are persuasive? Or is that even the goal? Some seem to simply like to goad others to see what they will say.

For what it is worth.

Back to staring out the window.

Martha

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 09:57 AM   #137

Martha,

curious, as to what you are using for an internet connection on the road?
Old 03-05-2005, 10:35 AM   #138

Hi Martha. Did you visit Carravelle (sp?) in the Fla. panhandle?
Very nice area.

JG
Old 03-05-2005, 11:32 AM   #139
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think she said in another thread that she was using a cell phone connection to "dial up". A feature of many upper end phones. Some new wireless services showing up about now offer both fixed and mobile high speed wireless connections. I can get high speed wireless to my house (~1Mb/s) for $20-30 a month. "ThreeG" is one of the offerings. 802.16 is another.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #140
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lighten up boys!

I would like to see the harrassment of Ed stop. He knows a lot of things, he has actually been there and done that on many fronts.

I'm not sure that this forum would work best if everyone other than Dilberts and former Dilberts could be driven off.

Mikey