Join Early Retirement Today

Help, job huntting
Old 07-17-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Help, job huntting

Hi, guys, I need your wisdom again.
Here is the situation. I interviewed two ibanks yesterday. Let's call them A and B, both 1st tier ibank. Last night, my agent called me said A is going to give me an offer. Bank B, I did not use agent.

I like both roles, but prefer B a little bit. I am positive I will get nice feedback from B.

What should I do now?

1 Send B bank HR manager an email or give him a call to ask from speed up? At the end of interview, he said he will follow up a few days later.

2 just wait?
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IMO, once you *have* the offer from A in hand, it would not hurt to call B, tell them you have an offer and would really like to consider their offer (if it is coming), but you have a timeline to deal with (whatever that is).

I would just tell the truth, partially because it's the right thing to do, partially because I'm a terrible liar, and partially because you never now if a lie might come back to you one way or another (esp all in the same business).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you, ERD50

That's how I am thinking.

Only thing I am kind of concerned is that B bank manager may not believe this. You know the job market not good, especially at financial sector.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtex View Post
Only thing I am kind of concerned is that B bank manager may not believe this. You know the job market not good, especially at financial sector.
Well, maybe emphasize that you thought the fit was better with their culture too... try and play up, a little, that you're just trying to honor your committment to get back to bank A in a reasonable amount of time. At least don't make it sound like you're trying to strong-arm bank B into wowing you with a huge offer.

And, if they don't take you at your word, then consider if bank B would really be a good fit long-term ;-)
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Well, maybe emphasize that you thought the fit was better with their culture too... try and play up, a little, that you're just trying to honor your committment to get back to bank A in a reasonable amount of time. At least don't make it sound like you're trying to strong-arm bank B into wowing you with a huge offer.

And, if they don't take you at your word, then consider if bank B would really be a good fit long-term ;-)
Good advice, IMO.

Another way to look at is this - who cares if they believe you or not? If they were prepared to make an offer, they can make it based on your qualifications. You are just giving them some added info, that you want to respect A and want to get back to them in the specified time. It's really best for them to know this, so they can fast track it if needed.

Ball is in their court at that point - they can play it as they see fit.

If I was in B's position, I would just look at it that way, I can either make this person an offer by X date, or risk losing him/her - whether they are bluffing or not. I can't let the idea of whether it is a bluff or not influence me too much, unless there is something very shady in how they presented it. If I suspect that, then I don't want to hire them, but I would not assume that, even if it seemed unlikely. I've known people to go months w/o an offer, and then get three in one week. It happens.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the job offer from Bank A! If you didn't get an offer from Bank B, would you take it? In that case I would definitely tell Bank B that I have another offer and see what they say. Worst case? They might say, Great! And then you can thank them for their time and consideration and your paths might cross in the future.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, you guys are right. How the B side views this situation, which is out of my control.

I am just trying to add more info, which is what's happening.

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I've hired probably twenty people over the last 8 years. We didn't really have an HR department that handled all the ins and outs, so I was responsible for doing all the hiring for our department. I have definitely had a few candidates call me and do exactly what has been proposed on this thread. I don't think there's anything wrong at all with calling Bank B and letting them know that you have an offer, but that you'd prefer the position with them and that you'd like to know if they could possibly tell you when a decision will be made as to their choice. You don't even have to go into them needing to get you an offer compatible with the other bank. Just say that you have to let Bank A know something by xyz date and wondered if Bank B was planning to make a decision by that time. You can even say that it is totally understandable if they cannot make a decision that fast, but because of your serious interest in their open position, you didn't want to regret taking the other position without at least calling. You definitely don't want it to seem like you are giving them an ultimatum or hardballing them, etc, though. Definitely play up that you want to be responsible and respectful to Bank A...makes you look better.

If Bank B wants you, they will work to make sure they can get you an offer by your deadline. If it's down to you and a couple other comparable people they may tell you to pound sand. That's the risk you take, but it's probably a low risk. They know who they want already, most likely.

How long can you wait to respond to the offer from Bank A?
Old 07-17-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have to come back to them on Next Monday.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess I put it wrong. The HR manager I mean hiring manager, who I am going to work with if I got the job.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:22 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Ouch. Yeah, that's not much time. If it were me I'd go ahead and place the call today to Bank B.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

ok, phase number 2
I got details of Bank A's offer. I know it is a contract to perm, since the bank is experiencing third wave lay off and in hiring frozen mode.

The day rate is 650/day for standard working hour(8 to 5). If there is over time, the over time will be counted as a full day. So if I work from 8 to 6, it will be counted as two days.

First the 650/day is far below my current full time package.

Another thing, the over time rule sounds fishy. It is a trading floor job, I worked there before. I did not see anyone working hour from 8 to 5.

I do not know whether it is my agent or the employer is trying to trick me.

Some comments?