Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-03-2008, 06:23 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My top 10 Dividend stocks
O Realty Income The Monthly Dividends company, super dependable REIT, I bought some for my 83 year old money and never was even the slightest bit nervous.
KMP Biggest and probably best managed MLP owns a thousands of miles of pipelines
BBT Super Regional Bank 107 years of dividends 37 years or raising dividends (one cut during the depression)
WFC Wells Fargo is picking up market share from weaker rivals.
GE 1/3 the price of 2000 with higher earning 4-5x the yield.
BGH Another MLP with rapidly rising distributions a $17/share offer from general partner puts a good floor under the stock
DEO Premier liquor distributor and who couldn't use a drink in these times
PFE 7% yield tons of cash, yes generic competition for Liptor is going to kill profits growth, but itsn't like the market doesn't understand this
INTC raised dividends twice last year 3.5% yield isn't great in this market but above average
SPH Suburban Propane 2.5 year when I bought it the distributions was $2.44 after last weeks increase it is now $3.22 , oh at 9.5% yield who cares if the increase slow down or even stop for a while.

A couple of other picks over at my Motley Fool CAPs contest (I hope this link works)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockStrap View Post
What 10 individual stocks would you pick to create a well diversified portfolio?

If you are, or know, a preferred M* subscriber, there is a built in screen for the highest dividend yielding stocks already set up there. the results can be found at
Stock Screener: Results of Search

there was no criteria to add for the diversification factor.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I forget my customary plug for M* Dividend Investor newsletter the first month is free and definitely worth it. The book by the editor Josh Peters, the Ultimate Dividend Investor handbook, will show a methodology for picking your own dividend stocks.
Some people might think that doing your own research is probably better than asking on an internet forum.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
My top 10 Dividend stocks
O Realty Income The Monthly Dividends company, super dependable REIT, I bought some for my 83 year old money and never was even the slightest bit nervous.
KMP Biggest and probably best managed MLP owns a thousands of miles of pipelines
BBT Super Regional Bank 107 years of dividends 37 years or raising dividends (one cut during the depression)
WFC Wells Fargo is picking up market share from weaker rivals.
GE 1/3 the price of 2000 with higher earning 4-5x the yield.
BGH Another MLP with rapidly rising distributions a $17/share offer from general partner puts a good floor under the stock
DEO Premier liquor distributor and who couldn't use a drink in these times
PFE 7% yield tons of cash, yes generic competition for Liptor is going to kill profits growth, but itsn't like the market doesn't understand this
INTC raised dividends twice last year 3.5% yield isn't great in this market but above average
SPH Suburban Propane 2.5 year when I bought it the distributions was $2.44 after last weeks increase it is now $3.22 , oh at 9.5% yield who cares if the increase slow down or even stop for a while.

A couple of other picks over at my Motley Fool CAPs contest (I hope this link works)

Just out of curiosity, do you buy and hold (and spend the dividends) or have you ever sold a whole position to change to something else?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:52 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I buy with the intention of keeping them forever until something happens that makes want to sell. Which is sort of a mart ass answer but mostly true.

Some examples.
Price raises much faster than the dividend increase and the yield falls to a low level. I sell
I original bought the stock because it was a former growth stock that had fallen on tough. Market decide that it is a growth stock again. Possible example are GE, and INTC in my list of above. I'll sell.
Management changes position on dividends and stops raises dividends. I sell
Bad times hit company dividend cut looks likely I generally sell unless the stock price has already taken a hit.
The M* dividend guy says XYZ is really a great deal. About 1/2 the time I sell something generally with a lower yield to get more income. Of those times I traded up about 1/2 the time it was smart and 1/2 the time it is was dumb.

I should start tracking my portfolio turnover but on average I keep a stock for three years. Now up until the last year, I never had dividend cut. Sadly I've had to deal with about 8 out 40 companies, in several cases like a couple banks stocks I got out well in advance. The other 6 took painful loss on two and am still holding the others.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

You people stop posting to this thread! My hormone meter is pegging so hard - the needle is bent.

Since joining this forum back in 03 I have fought my two file cabinets of DRIP stocks(50 plus) down to a few. Ok so I have 30 stocks in Vanuard brokerage.

Trying to hold the line at 10-15% of total portfolio.

heh heh heh - Target Retirement in retirement allows me to have a hobby - note to self, it's only a hobby, it's only a hobby, have to keep a grip. Need to watch more football.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Unclemick I'll help.

This is a list dividend cuts for stocks I've owned NCC, FITB, BAC, MMAB, XTEX, CSE, DDR, and finally Lloyd's LYG which probably eliminated their dividend awaiting news from London. Other than the first two, I've had to face the ugly dilemna sell now and take a horrific loss, or wonder if the bad news isn't factored into the stock. In most case the yield is still respectable even after the cut, but is there a another cement shoe to drop?

If I had a time machine, I'd gladly trade the lot for psst Wellesley and Vanguard rebalancing computers.