Join Early Retirement Today

Help me convince DH to diversify
Old 06-11-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Help me convince DH to diversify

Thanks to discovering FIREcalc, I have recently realized that DH should be able to semi-re in four years, based on his retirement account balances (both tax-deferred & taxable). We do not include my retirement savings b/c I am 20 years younger, all savings are in 401k and Roth, and I will continue to w*rk for many years. I also do not include our household savings/emergency fund in his retirement savings. I have been educating myself by reading this forum and others, and reading some of the books recommended here.

My trouble is that in reviewing DH's accounts, I realized that he has one 403b account completely invested in a utilities fund. This accounts for almost half of all his retirement savings. We are in the process of deciding our exact asset allocation, and allocation among each class, for the next four years - we are close but still tweaking. Theoretically he agrees with the concepts of AA, diversifying, and periodic rebalancing to maintain your plan.

However, since this fund has gone down over 5% in the last few days, he wants to wait for it to go back up before re-allocating. I say we should re-allocate now, and fine tune over the coming weeks when we decide on our specific allocations.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!
PBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think you can find a happy medium. Sell a portion now and then maybe once a month until you get your allocation the way you want it. You can DCA in selling just like you do when buying. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition.
kaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I think kaudrey hit the nail on the head. There is no rush to sell things immediately. Sell some now, sell some every month, keep selling small bits over a year or two.

Then if utilities head up, you'll get some of the gain. If they keep heading down, at least you'll get some of the money out of them and properly spread out.
HobbyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks guys, that does seem reasonable!
Old 06-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Hey PBAT,

Quote:
We are in the process of deciding our exact asset allocation, and allocation among each class,
It appears to me that you both need to do bit of reading to as to fully understand why an asset allocation is ~so~ important to the long term success of an investment plan.

Have you done any reading outside of FIRECALC? Have you read The Boglehead's Guide to Investing, The Coffeehouse Investor, A Random Walk Down Wall Street or any number of other excellent personal investing books?

IMHO, without the basic knowledge contained in these and other books on the subject, it is nearly impossible to get it all correct. It's not a difficult subject, however if you make errors (i.e.100% in a utility fund) you could do serious long term damage.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Since everything went down between 3% and 5% through last Thursday, it really doesn't matter what the utilities fund does. By switching, you get things cheaper than before. By waiting for the utils to go up, everything else will go up as well and you will end up with roughly the same number of shares in the funds you exchange into.

Anyways, y'all are in one of those behavioral finance traps talked about in the book "Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes".

The idea to switch some now and some later is helpful.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:46 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
If it were not the whole market going down but just utilities, AA would have you buying more on the dip, not selling. With the whole market down, you would be selling fixed income to increase your equity holding back to their target allocation.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
However, since this fund has gone down over 5% in the last few days, he wants to wait for it to go back up before re-allocating. I say we should re-allocate now, and fine tune over the coming weeks when we decide on our specific allocations.
Set a timeframe for the wait or the amount of increase sought. Good luck!!! Waiting has opportunity cost!!
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:32 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, I have read Bogleheads, am reading Random Walk, and checked out a couple other books, including Buckets. Of course I have also been reading this forum and Diehards.

Keith - I do understand that principle now, the problem is that we have never sat down and made a plan. We were uneducated about investing, and choosing among limited retirement plan options without looking at the whole picture. Now that we are waking up, my first step is to get our AA where we want it, and properly diversified. Then going forward I will rebalance correctly.

Right now we are over 90% in stocks, and with planning for semi-re in four years, I want to get a safer ratio. Withdrawals the first few years will be minimal, but we won't be contributing much if at all, so I don't feel comfortable with 90/10 mix. We don't need that high level of risk at this point.

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:35 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It's hard convincing someone to change on things like that. I'd probably buy one or two of the books mentioned here (or others you'll see pop up from time to time), read them with conspicuous interest ("hmmm..that's interesting... it says here that...") and leave them around.

I'd second the Bogelhead book, Lucia's Buckets of Money, Frank Armstrong's online book, and Jonathan Pond's book.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:37 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAT View Post
...Withdrawals the first few years will be minimal, but we won't be contributing much if at all, so I don't feel comfortable with 90/10 mix. We don't need that high level of risk at this point.

Thanks everyone!
If you are not forced to make withdrawals, then 90/10 is about right. Once you need to w/d then 70/30 would probably be more sound.