Join Early Retirement Today

Help me think through this PenFed 5/5 mortgage situation
Old 05-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Help me think through this PenFed 5/5 mortgage situation

I got a PenFed 5/5 ARM in July 2010 - 3.75%. I've been monitoring the current rates - today it is at 2.5%. The fine print says an existing PenFed 5/5 loanholder can't simply refinance to the new, lower rate - even paying closing costs and an origination fee. (Well you can if you increase your mortgage by $50K)

BUT....

There is some fine print that says you CAN re-adjust to the new rate for 1% of the outstanding balance. So the re-adjust will cost me about $1880 upfront and save about $128 per month until July 2015. In July 2015, the rate will adjust up using the new lower 2.5% baseline to 3.5%. The PenFed rep says it's just a couple of pages of paperwork by fax to get this going. but they have a 4 week backlog to even get started. So I guess the Sept. 2013 payment would be the starting point. (So about a 15 month payback period.)

DW and I don't ever want to actually own this boat anchor. Our plan is to be out in 5 years and into our vacation home that we will retire to.

Can anyone see why the re-adjust is not a good use of $1880?

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.......
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have you looked for other places to refinance where you wouldn't have to pay the fee?
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Have you looked for other places to refinance where you wouldn't have to pay the fee?
I have - a bit........

I am frankly attracted by the simplicity of the transaction. I am in the middle of selling my business. So could be looking at a mortgage closing and a business closing at around the same time - which could make for tricky documentation.

But the above not withstanding, I was thinking the transaction would stand on it's own merits.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #4

You need to call them and look at when the loan was actually taken out. I did this and they looked up my loan and told me my loan was fine as I had it before they changed the policy.

JDARNELL
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #5

I've done a pretty good bit of looking around since my original post. I am pretty convinced that $1880 up front for reducing my interest rate (30 yr. amortization) to 2.5%, 2.5%, 3.5%, 3.5%, 3.5% for each year in the five-year time horizon I plan to live in this house is as good as I can get.

The only other option I can think of would be to go to a mortgage broker and tell her this is what I am willing to pay up front and this is the interest rate I'll get for the next 5 years and can you beat that (?).
Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you can refi. That fee is new.

I'd rather refi and have the full 5 years.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote