Join Early Retirement Today
Help me understand asset allocation in later years
Old 04-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Help me understand asset allocation in later years

Hello All

I'm currently saving as much as possible for eventual FIRE at around 50 (I'm 31 now). I"m 100% equities at the moment and see myself being that way until around 45 to maximize earnings as I am OK with the added risk. I have maxed out my tax deferred accounts (RRSP's in Canada) and am now starting to invest in non tax deferred accounts - mainly in low cost index funds and ETF's that have minimal annual distributions. When I FIRE I want to have nearly a 100% dividend portfolio due to the extremely beneficial dividend income tax rules here in income (basically you can have up to 50K of income from dividends without any taxes payable here).

At some point between 45 and 50 I will have to dispose of all of my investments into the desired 50+ portfolio. At that point, would I not have a massive amount of taxes to pay on my non tax deferred account? Assuming I can put away 500K during that period and the investments are sold for $1Million, that is $500K of capital gains I would have to pay when I allocate to another "basket" of investments. How is this problem avoided?

accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Help me understand asset allocation in later years
Old 04-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do the allocation a little over time. It does not have to be a large step adjustment approach. You can do microsteps over the years to spread out the cap gains over time.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

You could non re-invest dividends at ~45 and start allocating new money towards bonds. Also, I am assuming you are investing money over time, not putting it all in in year 1. So, you can use LIFO and sell your least appreciated shares first.
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Asset Allocation