Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Help my retired parents please! (Allianz Dateline Annuity)
Old 04-13-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Help my retired parents please! (Allianz Dateline Annuity)

Hello,

First time poster even though I have been lurking around this site for over a year. I hate having to post without first introducing myself, but this is an emergency situation and I need some advise. I hope you all understand.

While watching Dateline tonight, I found out that my parents were one of the many victims who fell for the index annuity trap.

They retired a couple of years ago and moved to Italy. Over the next few months they were planning on making large withdrawals to fund their new home purchase. Tomorrow I'm going to call them to explain the situation they are in.

I have done some searching on the web and I found that there is a class-action lawsuit against Allainz. Would anyone know how my parents can join this lawsuit? Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank You!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

uconn

let them enjoy thier trip. they can deal with whatever when they return
Old 04-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If there is a class action lawsuit, they will get paperwork at the "legal" address available from the defendant during discovery. They will have to opt out to maintain an individual right to sue outside the class action.

Unfortunately, class action lawsuits usually only return pennies on the dollar unless you are the lawyers representing the class action plantiffs. Don't expect your parents to be made anything close to whole.

My condolences on your parents misfortune in believing the sales pitch for the annuity without taking the time to do the math or ask themselves why they should buy something they don't understand.

I'm sure my post will be followed by those saying that there are many wonderful annuity products that are available and your parents may just misunderstand that they really are in a good financial position with their annuity. There are amazingly many people here that believe annuities make sense for the common investor/retiree or they are sales people trolling.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

There are links on the Dateline web site from this show, including this from the AG of MN: Office of Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson. As stated above though, they should receive paperwork in the mail if they are eligible for the class action suit.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Complaining directly to the company could involve more money more quickly than a 5-10 year class action lawsuit will take to wind throught the courts.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 04-14-2008, 06:25 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I watched the Dateline show and didn't think it did a good job of explaining what the pitch is to attract people in the first place (I missed the first few minutes). I never really even "got" how EIAs work. Based on the thread the other day, I had the impression that you "invest" in these things for a set period (e.g. 10 years) and then start drawing the annuity. But I didn't get that impression on Dateline. Do some of these things start paying the annuity immediately but promise to keep a floor on the payment amount? Or do they always require a holding period before payments begin?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky View Post
Hello,

While watching Dateline tonight, I found out that my parents were one of the many victims who fell for the index annuity trap.

They retired a couple of years ago and moved to Italy. Over the next few months they were planning on making large withdrawals to fund their new home purchase. Tomorrow I'm going to call them to explain the situation they are in.
First of all, index annuities are not traps. One use of indexed annuites are for safety of principle with upside potential--without downside risk. They are commonly used for people in their 50's and 60's who cannot afford to be in the market with risk to their principle when they are looking to retire in the future.

Before you go calling this an "emergency", you should just ask your parents about their policy. Did they have it during 2001, 2002, 2003? If they did, they should be very thankful that they weren't in the market and lost nearly all of their monies.

They can take withdrawls out of their annuity, penalty free too. If your parents put all of their monies into one annuity and decided to purchase a retirement home and not have the funds to do so, then shame on them.

Perhaps they know exactly what they put some of their retirement monies into. Perhaps, you being the "Alpha Child" should have been apart of this purchase when they decided to roll monies over.

FYI-Alpha Child is known as the go-to child that parents look to for support/advice.

Cheers,

Ryan
Old 04-14-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hundoracer View Post
First of all, index annuities are not traps. One use of indexed annuites are for safety of principle with upside potential--without downside risk. They are commonly used for people in their 50's and 60's who cannot afford to be in the market with risk to their principle when they are looking to retire in the future.

Before you go calling this an "emergency", you should just ask your parents about their policy. Did they have it during 2001, 2002, 2003? If they did, they should be very thankful that they weren't in the market and lost nearly all of their monies.

They can take withdrawls out of their annuity, penalty free too. If your parents put all of their monies into one annuity and decided to purchase a retirement home and not have the funds to do so, then shame on them.

Perhaps they know exactly what they put some of their retirement monies into. Perhaps, you being the "Alpha Child" should have been apart of this purchase when they decided to roll monies over.

FYI-Alpha Child is known as the go-to child that parents look to for support/advice.

Cheers,

Ryan
Wow, didn't think I'd see spam on this post..........

Old 04-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #9

I've heard that Allianz has given some refunds. They are the Number 1 carrier in the Index Annuity business, but their products are mediocre at best.

If your parents were misled, they may get all their money back, but don't count on it. They probably had to sign disclosures however, that they understood what they were buying.

Allianz's most popular products (because of the commission) was a two tier product, which means there is no 'walk-away'. The way they are written is... you can never take your money elsewhere. If you do, you lose your bonus and all previously credited gains. The contract reverts back to the underlying minimum guarantees and that's all you get. (less penalties if any)

From my understanding, most of the guys selling for Allianz weren't even aware of how this was handled. Allianz wasn't forthcoming with the info either
Old 04-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

They need to look at their contract first and see what the specifics of their exactly policy are. If they cannot get what they need out without getting penalized, I would talk to the insurer first. If that fails, I would talk to the appropriate state insurance department. After that, either suck it up and pay the penalty, or get a mortgage and pay it off over time.

Can we please get the spamming annuity salescritters to restrain themselves?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 04-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #11

Way to go Brewer. Great answer!
Old 04-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulpro View Post
Way to go Brewer. Great answer!
Great, now kindly let up on the spam/sales job.

- George Orwell

Old 04-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Great, now kindly let up on the spam/sales job.
Amen...........

Old 04-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Wow, didn't think I'd see spam on this post..........

No spam here. Trying to be as polite as possible. Everyone is so quick to blame the insurance producer or the insurance carrier. Sorry to say, but maybe IF his parents are in a bad spot, that it is due to their own stupidity.

SPAM AWAY!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry to say, but maybe IF his parents are in a bad spot, that it is due to their own stupidity.
I'll bet you think most rape victims were just asking for it, right?
Old 04-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No spam here. Trying to be as polite as possible. Everyone is so quick to blame the insurance producer or the insurance carrier. Sorry to say, but maybe IF his parents are in a bad spot, that it is due to their own stupidity.

SPAM AWAY!
Or maybe most annuity salescritters are just scumbags.

- George Orwell

Old 04-14-2008, 03:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

SPAM AWAY!
I've had an insurance license since 1989, so who are you talking to? Whether they made a bad choice or not is immaterial. The fact remains these products are WAY oversold and marketed to a demographic that has shown to be easily intimidated is the problem......

Anyone who says an EIA is the "same as a CD but with upside potential" needs to be shot.........

Old 04-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Anyone who says an EIA is the "same as a CD but with upside potential" needs to be shot.........
I'd settle for banned from the forum.

- George Orwell

Old 04-14-2008, 03:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Or maybe most annuity salescritters are just scumbags.
oh I agree 100%!!! Way too many scumbags out there giving every sales person a bad name! Not just annuity salescritters.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'll bet you think most rape victims were just asking for it, right?

Way to compare the two. I am glad you can go from an annuity to rape in the same post.
Closed Thread