Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Help with American Century Funds
Old 08-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
BTravlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 994
Help with American Century Funds

My wife has about $78k in a 403b fund at Fidelity but they have advised they are discontinuing their 403b plans. She needs to transfer her funds to an employer approved vendor and American Century is the best choice out of the options available. We are looking to maintain a 60/40 AA and would like some recommendations on which of their NL funds to consider. I'm 52 and she is 47. We have a sizable retirement portfolio already and therefore are not looking to be too aggressive. Any suggestions?
__________________

__________________
Wherever you go, there you are.
(In other words, no whining!)
BTravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Gotadimple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,758
Have you tried calling their customer service? They may make recommendations for you.
__________________

__________________
Only got A dimple, would have preferred 2!
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,255
When you say "they are discontinuing their 403b plans", do you mean that Fidelity is no longer approved by the employer, or that Fidelity is no longer supporting 403b plans?

DWs 403b is with Fidelity, so I hope this is not a Fidelity decision - I wasn't impressed with the other choices that she has (no Vanguard).

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
BTravlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Have you tried calling their customer service? They may make recommendations for you.
No, I've not done that yet but do have to call the local rep assigned to the plan. Will ask then and see what they have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
When you say "they are discontinuing their 403b plans", do you mean that Fidelity is no longer approved by the employer, or that Fidelity is no longer supporting 403b plans?

DWs 403b is with Fidelity, so I hope this is not a Fidelity decision - I wasn't impressed with the other choices that she has (no Vanguard).

-ERD50
It reads to me like they are doing away with all 403b type plans altogether although they will allow us to rollover to a Roth 403b. Here is what the letter says:

"Dear Valued Plan Participant,

I am writing today with an important announcement regarding your Fidelity Advisor 403b account. Effective June 21, 2010. Fidelity Investments has discontinued offering the Fidelity Advisor 403b program. In addition, after October 1, 2010, we will no longer accept additional contributions into your account.

The FA 403b program was established in 2001 as a new retirement product for employees of public educational institutions. The program was specifically designed for the K-12 public school market. However, the program has not reached a level that supports the reinvestment necessary to provide you and your plan sponsor with the tools and services needed to remain competitive. Therefore, we have made the difficult decision to discontinue offering this product."
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are.
(In other words, no whining!)
BTravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
It reads to me like they are doing away with all 403b type plans altogether although they will allow us to rollover to a Roth 403b. Here is what the letter says:

"Dear Valued Plan Participant,
...
Hmmm, I logged onto DWs account and no messages or other info to that effect. Then I called to check, the rep had not heard of this either.

I noted that your letter specifically stated ' Fidelity Advisor ' accounts, and the word 'advisor' does not show up anywhere on our docs. I mentioned this, and the rep said that advisor accounts are a very small part of their business, and although she hadn't heard of them being discontinued, it could be since she doesn't work that end (and not being an issue for me, I didn't bother to press for an answer, since your letter is your answer).

Apparently, Advisor accounts have additional fees associated with them - you might want to ask around and see if your employer can offer some low fee options like the straight Fidelity Investor 403b accounts. IIRC, Fidelity looked to be the only low fee offering for us, I was thankful to have at least one.

So apparently, they (Fidelity) are not 'doing away with all 403b type plans altogether' - they are doing away with their 'Advisor 403b plans'.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DblDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,224
I have a 403b with Fidelity in their NetBenefits program. No notice that it is canceled.

DD
__________________
At 54% of FIRE target
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
friar1610's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 820
I'm sure you have looked at this thoroughly but because it is a 403B plan, is there any chance that TIAA-CREF is one of the choices? If so, that might be a lower cost, more Boglehead type alternative.

I had American Century funds many years ago (when they were called "20th Century") but have no current experience with them.
__________________
friar1610
friar1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
BTravlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Hmmm, I logged onto DWs account and no messages or other info to that effect. Then I called to check, the rep had not heard of this either.

I noted that your letter specifically stated ' Fidelity Advisor ' accounts, and the word 'advisor' does not show up anywhere on our docs. I mentioned this, and the rep said that advisor accounts are a very small part of their business, and although she hadn't heard of them being discontinued, it could be since she doesn't work that end (and not being an issue for me, I didn't bother to press for an answer, since your letter is your answer).

Apparently, Advisor accounts have additional fees associated with them - you might want to ask around and see if your employer can offer some low fee options like the straight Fidelity Investor 403b accounts. IIRC, Fidelity looked to be the only low fee offering for us, I was thankful to have at least one.

So apparently, they (Fidelity) are not 'doing away with all 403b type plans altogether' - they are doing away with their 'Advisor 403b plans'.

-ERD50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
I have a 403b with Fidelity in their NetBenefits program. No notice that it is canceled.

DD
ERD50 is correct that only the 403b Advisor program has been discontinued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I'm sure you have looked at this thoroughly but because it is a 403B plan, is there any chance that TIAA-CREF is one of the choices? If so, that might be a lower cost, more Boglehead type alternative.

I had American Century funds many years ago (when they were called "20th Century") but have no current experience with them.
TIAA-CREF is one of the choices and they are definitely low cost but their performance has also been pretty mediocre.
__________________

__________________
Wherever you go, there you are.
(In other words, no whining!)
BTravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else getting harassed by American Century? ziggy29 FIRE and Money 8 06-12-2010 02:22 PM
American Funds - Share class R5 Disappointed FIRE and Money 2 09-23-2007 11:22 AM
Would you invest in the American Funds? packrat44 FIRE and Money 17 09-22-2007 02:59 PM
American Funds dm FIRE and Money 20 05-02-2007 10:25 AM
American Century 'One Choice Portfolio? Jbird FIRE and Money 6 04-30-2007 03:19 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:44 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.