Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2018, 02:38 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
OP
Nice job helping your friend. Glad I was wrong about the FA not being knowledgeable about the product.

Thanks. Yes, I was surprised how much she knew about it and the financial markets in general.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2018, 02:38 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I have heard this sentiment several times from a friend. Between their pensions and SS, they have more income than they spend. They have some investments (401k, IRA, inherited after tax account) that they likely will never need, but are there "just in case". His preference is to just preserve value. While I might disagree, I can understand.

Me too.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:38 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
[snipped content]

Thanks again to all on this forum who helped me better understand this type of "investment." I still think my friend would be better off in a balanced fund or a mix of two ETF's (stock/fixed income); however the volatility would be greater and only she can decide if she is willing to have more volatility to get greater returns.

One comment my friend made to me that many on this forum can probably relate to is that she feels she has everything she needs and so taking more risk to make more money isn't really necessary fo her. Very different than my attitude - with inflation and other uncertainties, I'd rather take more risk for a better long-term outcome - but then again, I'm 16 years younger and have higher risk tolerance, obviously.
I enjoyed reading about your mission, and hearing how it turned out. Once a product is sold, I feel the tendency is for the buyer to follow the path of least resistance. Remember that many years of product design and sale development go into a product. The message of low risk is very calming for some, and your friend is drawn to this.

Still, you did the right thing, and others benefit from the way you approached this. Thanks.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Thanks. Yes, I was surprised how much she knew about it and the financial markets in general.
I'm a little late to this thread but just wanted to say that it was nice of you to help a friend through this process - it appears that you spent a lot of time on it.

The only thing I would have asked the annuity advisor is why she invested an IRA inside of the VA. The IRA already offers tax deferral, thereby negating one of the annuity's main benefits.
Trooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:53 PM   #65

Thanks to all who participated in this thread. Apparently prior to this annuity my friend had this money invested in a variable annuity that was inside of an IRA. She said that many of her fellow teachers had done the same.

I learned a fair bit helping my friend. I’m not too surprised she decided to stick with this for now, and I suppose given her age and risk tolerance, it’s not a horrible choice. She has some muni bonds and CD’s that she wants to consider doing something else with, so I will introduce her to my Fidelity guy and perhaps he can help her get a bit of growth with these funds.

I think really risk averse people sometimes don’t appreciate inflation risk. As long as their balance stays the same as when they started many years ago, they feel ok.