Helping a friend with car purchase fiasco

Texas,
You don't buy life insurance to hope you drop dead, and you shouldn't buy home owners insruance to hope your house burns down.
As far as using my warranty I havn't yet but the car is only 3 years old and I bought 2 years old.  I've had it a little over a year now.
Hope I don't have to use it but if I need it I have it.
In the past I put a transfer case into  an Explorer that I had.  Also an A/C compressor in Nissan a few years back.  Maybe I'm about even but if it cost me a few bucks I like the piece of mind.
Regards,
JOE

73ss454 said:
Greg,
Why don't you just walk in and pay list price. This way you don't have to haggle and get yourself all upset.
You should be able to get enough info from the internet to make a reasonable decision.
Who do you think sells cars? I don't think any of them have MBA's.
Sorry to hear they get you so confused.
Regards,
JOE

I personally think it's a multi-level game of hide the potato. Some think it isn't. I wish both goups only good outcomes.

--Greg

Myself, I'd kind of like to hear how the original problem turned out per post #  1.
How bout it wanderalot- - how'd it turn out for you??

JPatrick said:
Myself, I'd kind of like to hear how the original problem turned out per post # 1.
How bout it wanderalot- - how'd it turn out for you??

It looks like the she was able to get out of the deal. She just called them up and told them that she wasn't interested at the price that they offered. I used this opportunity to subtlely suggest that a person in her circumstance (low income, some debt, no retirement savings etc) shouldn't be buying a new car ... to no avail. She was supposed to go in and start the negotiation process again, but we don't know what happened since we were very busy this past weekend.

Interestingly, I looked around on the net and it looks like she got a pretty good price, but I still can't explain why they would offer such a good price when she didn't even negotiate.

BTW, I showed both her and my wife this thread and both of them had the following
reactions:

"So you and these people sit around all day talking about retirement?"

"Are they are computer geeks or engineers?"

"Why does everyone have funny names ??"

I think I'll just keep this forum to myself from now on! ::)

WanderALot said:
It looks like the she was able to get out of the deal.  She just called them up and told them that she wasn't interested at the price that they offered.    I used this opportunity to subtlely suggest that a person in her circumstance (low income, some debt, no retirement savings etc) shouldn't be buying a new car ... to no avail. She was supposed to go in and start the negotiation process again, but we don't know what happened since we were very busy this past weekend.

Interestingly, I looked around on the net and it looks like she got a pretty good price, but I still can't explain why they would offer such a good price when she didn't even negotiate.

BTW, I showed both her and my wife this thread and both of them had the following
reactions:

"So you and these people sit around all day talking about retirement?"

"Are they are computer geeks or engineers?"

"Why does everyone have funny names ??"

I think I'll just keep this forum to myself from now on!   ::)
Glad she slipped out of the deal and that you tried to save her from herself.
Some dealers are no haggle and you can walk in and get a reasonable deal, but probably not a great deal.  However, one of the really big risks is the deal that provides a nice price, but comes back to bite you with myriad extras like fabric protector etc.
As far as the people on this board- - - -I have found that I am probably the only truly normal person here. Now, perhaps with you here wanderalot we may have two :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

JPatrick said:
I have found that I am probably the only truly normal person here. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

My 'truly normal' is bigger than your 'truly normal.' :D

Normal should be stamped out - or at least aggresively resisted.

ER is not NORMAL!

Of course - there is more of 'Them' than us - soooo - perhaps a low profile is the better path.

Heh, heh, heh, heh.

Back
Top Bottom