hewith a math problem

Revlefty

Recycles dryer sheets
I need someone who is better at math than me to answer a question. it has to do with whether or not I should continue to license my moped--that I presently use to commute--although I use it to run around town as much as possible during spring, summer and fall. My austerity budget in RE calls for only one car. Here's the situation:
my car gets 30 mpg.
my moped gets 90 mpg
let's assume gas is $3.50 per gallon (hey, I can dream)
license, insurance and repairs cost $300 per year.
How many miles do I need to drive the moped per year to make it worth the yearly expense?:blush:

I have minor in math, but here is my opinion:
Get bicycle! It is healthier, cheaper, and more pleasurable. :)

Do what you enjoy! My DW drives a Volt.....not because electricity is cheaper than gas, nor does she care that the car costs 10k more than other cars that size.....she just hates getting her hands dirty at the gas pump. And, I paid for the car, she pays for the gas! It doesn't sound like $300 will break you and I imagine you like riding around town on your "bike"......if you do, just do it!!!!!

I worked on this until I came up with the correct answer:

Orange :dance:

What would Jesus do?

Doesn't this scenario assume that there are no license/maintenance costs for the car?

I think the point is that the car is a given, because the moped can't be used in the winter months. If it were a "choose one" scenario, then yes, you'd need to factor in license and maintenance for both vehicles.

Don't forget to factor in the time saved and satisfaction gained by whipping around the latest traffic jam because you're on your moped.

Revised formula:

miles*(3.50/30) -Oh Crap! = miles*(3.50/90) +300 +Woohoo!

Last edited:
I do not know the math, but I just thought your car will be safer.

Don't forget to factor in the time saved and satisfaction gained by whipping around the latest traffic jam because you're on your moped.

Revised formula:

miles*(3.50/30) = miles*(3.50/90) +300 +Woohoo!

Multiply by the precise random fudge factor of wind in the hair and bugs in teeth and of a Mack truck's mass times velocity squared.

What's a 'hewith'?

PS - agree with Ronstar math, though you could maybe throw in some decreased maintenance for the car if it is driven 3856 fewer miles a year.

I also think the safety issue could be far bigger than the gas savings.

-ERD50

Allowing for no decrease in maintenance for not using the car: 3857

Car is still a lot safer than the moped.

Oops, I see someone already supplied the answer. I think this is a lot easier to do in gallons per mile, so the $300 cost of the moped has to cover the difference between driving a car for X miles and driving the moped for the same X miles.

( 3.50 * car_gpm * X_miles ) - ( 3.50 * moped_gpm * X_miles ) = $ 300
car_gpm is 0.0333
moped_gpm is 0.0111

Last edited:
Hewith?

The hewith is a typo for "help with". The responses have been both helpful and hilarious. If I have to drive over three thousand miles to make it worthwhile, I guess I'll just ride the moped because I like it. It works great for around town driving. A bicycle would be a great alternative if I didn't have to ride in 90 degree weather and then sit at my desk after having sweated a bunch. Thanks everyone!:D

Good plan to ride it cause you like it.

On another board I frequent a person who had never been on two motorized wheels suggested buying a motorcycle to save money commuting 20miles each way to work four days a week through the winter in Wis.
10 deg F weather is not uncommon as an average, but he was determined.

No need to get out the calculator on that one, at least for me.

10 deg F weather is not uncommon as an average, but he was determined.

No need to get out the calculator on that one, at least for me.

Me neither. Not just for comfort, but to prevent frostbite and hypothermia, he'd have to spend a bundle in heated gear to pull that off.

A Honda Fit or the like would be a lot cheaper and more comfortable.

The hewith is a typo for "help with". The responses have been both helpful and hilarious. If I have to drive over three thousand miles to make it worthwhile, I guess I'll just ride the moped because I like it. It works great for around town driving. A bicycle would be a great alternative if I didn't have to ride in 90 degree weather and then sit at my desk after having sweated a bunch. Thanks everyone!:D

You know I ride simple/inexpensive bike whenever I can from Spring to Fall. It is not to save money. I just find it very enjoyable and healthy alternative to driving car.

Now I live in the area that has lot of bike paths. If I had to drive on street I would pass this type of lifestyle.

Retiring in place that allows me to ride bike as much as possible is one of my considerations :)

That is why I told you "get a bike" :) It is nothing to do with money.

Finding a bike friendly retirement location is a priority for me, too. My present city is NOT a good place to ride a bike.

I drink like a Dane. No wonder I am so happy :)

Back
Top Bottom