Join Early Retirement Today

Hey, Discover is Trying to Bribe Me!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Hey, Discover is Trying to Bribe Me!

I received the notice below in an email from Discover card. I receive my monthly statements each month via snail mail. I don't believe that I will accept as I believe that $5.00 is much too low. I'm holding out for at least $25. It will save them that much in paper alone, not to mention postage.

Try Paperless Statements and receive $5 Cashback Bonus.
Get rewards and make security a priority.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

FIVE WHOLE dollars? wow I almost fainted...

$25 might cut into their profit margin or something equally ridiculous.

I personally like to get my credit card statements in hardcopy. You never know when the computer might burp. And I do keep hardcopies for 3 years.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

They'll probably start charging for paper statements before they pay $25. Take the money and run.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, my DW's credit union decided to charge $1/month for paper statements a few years back. Carrot or stick I guess.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:52 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I received the notice below in an email from Discover card. I receive my monthly statements each month via snail mail. I don't believe that I will accept as I believe that $5.00 is much too low. I'm holding out for at least $25. It will save them that much in paper alone, not to mention postage.

Try Paperless Statements and receive $5 Cashback Bonus.
Get rewards and make security a priority.
Is this $5 a month, each and every month, you get a "Paperless Statement" or just a one time deal? For $5 a month I sure would go Paperless - of course all my statements are now "Paperless".
Old 01-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
They'll probably start charging for paper statements before they pay $25. Take the money and run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Yeah, my DW's credit union decided to charge $1/month for paper statements a few years back. Carrot or stick I guess.

Yes, if you want to get paperless, you might as well take the money... I just looked at my phone bill and they were charging one dollar for a paper bill and never told me when it happened.... AND it was taxable so I had to pay 8 cents more to the state!!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

That's the usual amount I've received from various companies.
I get email notices that my bill is available to view on line.
Paperless is a good idea - no paper in your mail box that can be stolen to steal your identity; reduces energy use.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

It costs around 40 cents, if I recall directly, to send statements. $25 dollars will probably be laughed at; sorry.
Abreutime is offline   Reply With Quote