Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Usually if I announce I'll invest in something, nobody follows me.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

You all like to make fun but there is definitely room in my portfolio for speculation. And crypto currency is something I can understand and see the potential. And so far I'm laughing all the way to the bank.
fired_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by fired_up View Post
You all like to make fun but there is definitely room in my portfolio for speculation. And crypto currency is something I can understand and see the potential. And so far I'm laughing all the way to the bank.
I noticed you signed up 3 years ago, im honored to be the first reply on your first comment. Please post follow ups so i can eat my heart out about my missing the boat on crypto currency.If its not too much trouble can you post some links about mastering crypto currency so that i can join you on the next laugh to the bank.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I noticed you signed up 3 years ago, im honored to be the first reply on your first comment. Please post follow ups so i can eat my heart out about my missing the boat on crypto currency.If its not too much trouble can you post some links about mastering crypto currency so that i can join you on the next laugh to the bank.
I was perusing the member list not long ago. IIRC there are something like 17,000 members who have never made a post. I'm glad at least one of them chose to join us with a first post.

fired_up, welcome and do please let us know a little about yourself in the "HI I AM" forum.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
So you have dismissed me because this is my first post. That's fine. I see you have an opinion for practically everything so no reason not to have an opinion about me.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I was perusing the member list not long ago. IIRC there are something like 17,000 members who have never made a post. I'm glad at least one of them chose to join us with a first post.

fired_up, welcome and do please let us know a little about yourself in the "HI I AM" forum.
Hi and thanks. I signed up on this site a while back but I guess this was my first post. Probably because I'm getting more comfortable with my own ability to retire sooner than later.

I'll do that!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #47
Confused about dryer sheets

I have about 20 bitcoin. I "mined" it myself back in 2011. At one point, I had close to 100, but spent it on stuff online, gambled some away, sold some, etc. This was back when it was below $50. Who knew what it would be worth!
BurnedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnedOut View Post
I have about 20 bitcoin.
It an awesome new technology and investment. Maybe we'll lose it all and not care much. Or maybe we'll hit big time. Either way, great time to be alive!
Old 06-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #49

Quote:
So you have dismissed me because this is my first post. That's fine. I see you have an opinion for practically everything so no reason not to have an opinion about me.
So is that a no to posting some links to crypto currency education ?
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 06-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #50
Dryer sheet wannabe

That's a no to your cynic post BCG.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #51

Quote:
That's a no to your cynic post BCG.
o.k. , but sharing is caring.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

I don't have any magic. I don't claim that you'll do anything other than lose money. I understand that it is a speculative investment. But if you have some cash to throw at speculative investments then why not crypto currency?

If you aren't comfortable with it, not big deal. It sounds like you are already doing very well for yourself anyway.

You can buy Bitcoin, Ethereum and Litecoin on Coinbase. Of the three, I'd personally buy Litecoin. Its like Bitcoin but is much faster and more flexible. It has become the defacto crypto currency for proving technology ahead of Bitcoin adoption.

Anyway, I totally get it if speculative investments aren't in your portfolio. But I've decided to put 1% of mine into cyrpto currency and so far it's proven a good investment.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #53

How do you buy them on the open market? I don't want to have to create an. Account.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #54
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
How do you buy them on the open market? I don't want to have to create an. Account.
If you want to buy them with USD, you'll have to open an account with an exchange. I don't know any way around that. Otherwise, I'm not familiar with the black market of obtaining crypto currency.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:06 AM   #55

Quote:
If you want to buy them with USD, you'll have to open an account with an exchange. I don't know any way around that.
One could also buy GBTC, but you pay a large premium for the convenience.
mrfeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

It is so tempting to cash our 17 in now but my son says to wait because eventually it will go much higher. We earned them mining when it was profitable. We had more but sold off at different points.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi and thanks. I signed up on this site a while back but I guess this was my first post. Probably because I'm getting more comfortable with my own ability to retire sooner than later.

I'll do that!
Yeah, full disclosure: I didn't even join until AFTER I retired though I was a long time lurker.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:56 PM   #58

Wish I had played with the bit coin mining or bought early but I never did well on any speculative deals.
I couldn't imagine these pseudo currencies not being clamped down on after seeing the things on Silk Road that bit coin was the only acceptable payment. I thought these would have been shut down or harassed by various governments long ago. Still think it will happen eventually.
Just wasn't in the market for guns, drugs, or slaves.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #59
Gone but not forgotten

So, on this day 2 years ago, $232
Today $3357.

https://www.worldcoinindex.com/coin/bitcoin

C'est la vie.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
So, on this day 2 years ago, $232