Join Early Retirement Today

Hey man, got any Bitcoin?
Old 05-25-2017, 04:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey man, got any Bitcoin?

Bitcoin surges to record above $2,500

Anybody ever buy any Bitcoin?

Anyone know how to buy it? Not that now, at $2500+, up 150% in 2017, is the time to buy it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 05:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I took an online course about Bitcoin and the blockchain recently and was tempted to buy a portion of one (I think it was at around $875 at the time) but I concluded that I couldn't think of any use for the currency unless I got a taste for some illegal drug so I never bothered. MAybe I should have speculated.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:00 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Under the theory that you learn more about something by owning it, I went so far as to open an account at Mt. Gox in 2013, before they imploded. I never transferred money as I got squeamish about the limits on the withdrawal of the funds. I felt like I dodged a bullet when Mt. Gox went down. At the time I think it was around $350, oh well!
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:09 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

My kid got involved with Ethereum. Put $1500 into it 2 weeks ago. Worth $2400.00 today. If this doesn’t have .Com written all over it, I don’t know what does. I told him that he better be eyeing that chair when the music stops. God forbid he listens to the old man when it comes to investment advice.
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:42 AM   #5

Bitcoin isn't investing islandtravler... You need to give your son advise on gambling. 😉
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandtraveler View Post
My kid got involved with Ethereum. Put $1500 into it 2 weeks ago. Worth $2400.00 today. If this doesn’t have .Com written all over it, I don’t know what does. I told him that he better be eyeing that chair when the music stops. God forbid he listens to the old man when it comes to investment beer money advice.
Hopefully? Our eldest (San Fran engineer) did this with some play money as well, although longer than 2 weeks ago. He cashed out 50% yesterday and will let the rest ride a while. (Between he and his wife, they can afford to waste a little fun money on lottery tickets, which is what this stuff is right now.)

E.T.A.: As I told him, even the name Ethereum invokes fantasy.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:04 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Put the Coin app on your phone & you can buy it.
Free bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:15 AM   #8

I wish I had at least $100 in bitcoin. I wouldn't mind $75million now. I now will buy anything Warren Buffet said he doesn't understand. That is a signal.
I think just like Google, we should invest a little bit of our money in moon shot type of stocks.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #9

Bought 5k worth when they were at $7 or $9 (can't remember exactly). Sold at around $20. I went through the Mt. Gox exchange. Didn't store money there for more than a few days, just to complete the transaction.

Yeah .. left a million on the table there
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #10

I dropped $10 into bitcoin about 7 years ago, but I think I threw-out the thumb drive I saved it on.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:15 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

A number of years ago my son started mining and we joined in. Right now we each have 17 bitcoins and intend to hold until it hits 10k/coin. Then will cash in some and hold some. We have cashed in some along the way. Even figuring in cost of miners and electricity we have made $ through the years with mining. We keep all the information in our safe so if something were to happen to my son his wife and us can have access to it.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
A number of years ago my son started mining and we joined in. Right now we each have 17 bitcoins and intend to hold until it hits 10k/coin. Then will cash in some and hold some. We have cashed in some along the way. Even figuring in cost of miners and electricity we have made $ through the years with mining. We keep all the information in our safe so if something were to happen to my son his wife and us can have access to it.
I recommended to my son that he mine for bitcoin with his spare computing power (he has a gaming rig with a 1080 graphics card in it), but he thinks that mining damages the graphics card. Something about heat variances damaging the circuits. I don't agree, but don't really know otherwise. Anyone know one way or the other?
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I learned painful lessons back in the 80's not to invest in something I don't understand. I'm sure I've left money on the table, but "Once burned, twice shy" is now my motto. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We have a dirt partial basement so with fans the computers stayed cool enough. Also my DH and son built them and they were in milk crates. When it ceased to be profitable he sold them. My son is the mastermind of all this and understands it. When we started it we decided that if we lost the $ we were fine with it because it was such a small amount.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #15

The price when I invested $5 was about $10 per BTC, so I must have got about 0.5 BTC, so now worth $1,300. "Only" 160% XIRR.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #16

You need to find the thumb drive. But how many hours does it take to mine one bitcoin?
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
You need to find the thumb drive.
Yeah, I should start looking for it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
But how many hours does it take to mine one bitcoin?
I didn't even try to mine. But, as I understand it, the true answer to your question is "indeterminate", because you might never get a coin.

The mining process involves simply running a crypto algorithm until it works. The more times you run it, the better your chances, but as most of us learned, even after getting "heads" 10 times in a row, the 11 time, the chance of a "heads" is still 50%.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I recommended to my son that he mine for bitcoin with his spare computing power (he has a gaming rig with a 1080 graphics card in it), but he thinks that mining damages the graphics card. Something about heat variances damaging the circuits. I don't agree, but don't really know otherwise. Anyone know one way or the other?
If you keep it properly cooled, no issue.

However don't mine coins for profit with your home card: The electricity cost will be higher than the payoff, on average.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
If you keep it properly cooled, no issue.

However don't mine coins for profit with your home card: The electricity cost will be higher than the payoff, on average.
It would be a home card. Electricity is about 5 cents per KWh.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:18 AM   #20

From what I've read, the days of mining for the average person are over. It takes serious metal to be in that game now.

I'm planning on throwing a small amount (< 1% of portfolio) at altcoins in the near future. Pure speculation.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote