Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #261
Recycles dryer sheets

Regarding people bragging about cars: I grew up poor, and it was a big deal when someone got a new (or used) car. Everyone would come over and take a ride in it, etc.

When I started hanging around with rich people it shocked me that they never mentioned when they got a new car.

I still do. Old habits die hard.
AboutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #262
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, NOLA is great. Fresh oysters, gulf shrimp, catfish.

One of the best dishes I ever ate was at Mulatte's (sp) near the convention center and it was a blackened catfish fillet topped with crawfish etouffe. Magnificent!

Give me a big bowl of seafood gumbo (don't forget the andouille) and some crusty garlic bread anytime -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:09 PM   #263
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutThere View Post
Regarding people bragging about cars: I grew up poor, and it was a big deal when someone got a new (or used) car. Everyone would come over and take a ride in it, etc.

When I started hanging around with rich people it shocked me that they never mentioned when they got a new car.

True. I even saw a young friend brag recently, on Facebook, about paying off their car. I smiled. As he indicated, it's an accomplishment in his world.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You are talking just like a coworker of mine!

He used to lament that people should have free time to travel, or just to hang around being beach bums when they are young. Then, when they can no longer enjoy life in that manner, they will go to work.

Sounds great to me, if you can talk employers into accepting geezers needing afternoon naps into their payroll.

By the way, he did not save, so was still working the last I heard.
Haha, I was a beach bum in my younger years. I did work second shift with higher pay. But the truth was the morning shift was very busy in the lab so I volunteer to do second shift.
My husband did take afternoon naps at his last job. There are jobs out there for geezers.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:13 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Oh yeah, NOLA is great. Fresh oysters, gulf shrimp, catfish.

One of the best dishes I ever ate was at Mulatte's (sp) near the convention center and it was a blackened catfish fillet topped with crawfish etouffe. Magnificent!

Give me a big bowl of seafood gumbo (don't forget the andouille) and some crusty garlic bread anytime -
I love NOLA before Katrina. I've not been back since the 80s.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #266
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutThere View Post

I grew up poor and most of the bragging seemed to be about how many deer they could hit with their cars. One time, my mom drove around for months with her hood tied down with a rope until she could afford to get it repaired.

I NEVER hear rich people brag about things like that!
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #267
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Honestly, I don't like lobster that much any more for some reason. Well sure, I like all seafood but lobster is nothing special to me.

Now fresh shrimp? THAT, to me, is heavenly. I guess when I choose shrimp instead of lobster, I'm hiding my wealth?
When we were down on Grand Island, we stopped for lunch and I had some of the best shrimp ever! Big and plump and firm! With shrimp like that, I never want lobster!
Old 05-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #268
Give me a forum ...

Big plump shrimp are really good, 2 is all you need;

Old 05-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #269
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I recall now reading about the invasion of giant Asian tiger shrimp. Are these that species?

I have meant to spend time along the Gulf coast the next RV trip to investigate. They are supposedly good eats, and are also found on the Atlantic coast from Florida to North Carolina.

See photo linked from the Web. With shrimp like this, who needs lobster?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
When we were down on Grand Island, we stopped for lunch and I had some of the best shrimp ever! Big and plump and firm! With shrimp like that, I never want lobster!
+1 Love our fresh Louisiana shrimp. Great taste, and not as expensive as lobster (here). Prawns are good too.

http://www.nola.com/environment/inde..._invaders.html

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #271
Give me a forum ...

Dunno. They are at the grocery store regularly and classed as "under 4", and are 4 to 5 bucks each. When I bought them the counter person reminded me that the price was "each", which was clearly how the sign read but apparently there were a few people that bought a pound and were "shocked" at the checkout. I guess they don't read so well.

Here they are broiled "scampi style" with a side of soy beans;

Old 05-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dunno. They are at the grocery store regularly and classed as "under 4", and are 4 to 5 bucks each. When I bought them the counter person reminded me that the price was "each", which was clearly how the sign read but apparently there were a few people that bought a pound and were "shocked" at the checkout. I guess they don't read so well.

What is that? That's so expensive!

Here's a fish store where we sometimes buy our shrimp, and I discovered on their website that they do mail order.
http://www.fishermanscoveseafood.com...-by-the-pound/

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #273
Give me a forum ...

I like people who are into food and always take photos of their dish. Thumbs up!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #274
Give me a forum ...

Those are 16-20 and are whole. Mine are under 4 and headless/cleaned.

I don't care how expensive they are, I just care about the flavor and ease of preparation.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #275
Recycles dryer sheets

I like hearing about different people's spending priorities. I guess I save on sea food (can't stand the stuff) and alcohol but indulge in bike gear and travel. As I have gotten older, I have gotten more claustrophobic so indulging on business class seating is a priority even if we need to save on other areas of travel spending. We found a good deal from Montreal to Honolulu where business class was only $500 more than coach - for me that is TOTALLY worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:12 AM   #276
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Just have to mention that we got those same plates for our wedding, circa 1985
AboutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:22 AM   #277

I dislike shrimp so this thread has lost a lot of appeal to me.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #278
Administrator

I've read and heard a lot of really good things about the food in NOLA, this thread is (once again) making me anxious to go visit.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #279
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Those are 16-20 and are whole. Mine are under 4 and headless/cleaned.

I don't care how expensive they are, I just care about the flavor and ease of preparation.
Ordered them for dinner in Kuala Lumpur. Two tails, a little longer than you pictured, but delicious.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:43 AM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I've read and heard a lot of really good things about the food in NOLA, this thread is (once again) making me anxious to go visit.
+1

We've flown there in the past (and will do so in the future) primarily to eat at whichever restaurants DW has selected in advance. For a city its size, we think the selection and quality are unmatched. (and, of course, the music provides ample opportunities for enjoyment between meals!)