Hiding Your Wealth (NOT a poll) :)

Yes, people like to brag, but they disagree on what to brag about. :)

"... conspicuous consumption increases perceptions of status, which in turn elicits benefits from others (e.g., compliance with a request)."

Guest Post: The Curious Case of Women’s Conspicuous Consumption | Evolutionary Psychology

Interesting article, but I thought the comments were even more fun! Like:

"The best illusion of female high mate-value is to flaunt the corresponding mate-value of your male pair-bonded partner."

My poor wife! If she's being judged by her ratty jeans/shorts/t shirt wearing pair bonded partner people must not think much of her!!!:LOL:

"... conspicuous consumption increases perceptions of status, which in turn elicits benefits from others (e.g., compliance with a request)."

Guest Post: The Curious Case of Women’s Conspicuous Consumption | Evolutionary Psychology

When assigned to the conspicuous condition, male confederates wore a Ralph Lauren collared shirt and Ray-Ban sunglasses and female confederates carried a Louis Vuitton tote and wore Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses. When assigned to the non-conspicuous condition, male and female confederates wore generic versions of each of these accessories.

I'm probably not alone on this forum in wondering: How would a test subject know if the confederate were wearing the name brand (and that it was expensive)? I sure couldn't tell by looking--unless they neglected to remove the price tags. :LOL:

I'm probably not alone on this forum in wondering: How would a test subject know if the confederate were wearing the name brand (and that it was expensive)? I sure couldn't tell by looking--unless they neglected to remove the price tags. :LOL:

People that care a lot about that stuff make it a point of being able to tell. It's a avocation like bird watching or train spotting is

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

People that care a lot about that stuff make it a point of being able to tell. It's a avocation like bird watching or train spotting is

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

LOL!

Im glad I don't know any of those folks! They already dismissed me!

Most of those clowns are the big hat no cattle type.

But nature does play a role and someone dressed like an accomplished hunter can confuse even the best gatherer and lure her into his cave..

A funny convo with some 30-something divorced and remarried females in the office a few years ago - they were initially lured to marriage by the big hat type- football player perhaps Etc eg conspicuous consuming status man . Post divorce, they all went with enginerd t-shirt wearing poor fashion sense dorky types for husband #2 - their lifestyles and marriages all improved .. They traveled more. Were no longer a paycheck away from repossession and got their own stuff together ..

Totally anecdotal but all 3 ladies agreed the swap was worth it ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom