Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who cares? We bought 2 beds that's top of line at Macy's. The delivery guys said to us they knew these beds were the most expensive. We spend big money for comfort. I fly first class if I want I don't care what others think or not think. It's my money, I can do with it what I want. No apologies necessary.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #362
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Curious how you know about the Mexican panhandlers/beach vendors? Is it personal interactions or is there a linkable source? I'm genuinely curious if it's really such an organized racket (and kudos to those resourceful shady people if so!).
They really operate under the radar. We only know about it because of sightings.

e.g. the van dropping the beggar off at her regular spot, the vendor getting out of his BMW and changing clothes. There are also vans that drop off beach vendors who are not so well off. We understand the beach vendor hierarchy by talking to them over many years. Eventually they open up about their daily quotas, etc.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:36 PM   #363
Give me a forum ...

Hehe, that's good, organized pan-handlers!

Get on board and sign up now!

Will Work for Food Franchise
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #364
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
How I (or others) spend their money is nobody's business. You will have more friends if you don't overly flaunt it though. Hiding it, goes a step too far in my view.
If you are in for a penny you will be in for a pound (as my Mother would say). A BMW costs more to repair than a Ford. A cigarette boat costs a lot for gas and to keep the engine tuned. These are just facts of life.

And you had better dress appropriately when you go out to dinner with your friends, no matter what your budget is.

It is not a matter of impressing or not. It is the desire to fit in.

Remember when whites were required to play tennis (like they still are at Wimbledon)?
Old 05-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #365
Give me a forum ...

Yes, you have to fit in or you are left out.

I stopped in for supper at a restaurant once and had to use their "loaner" coat. I had the shirt and tie, but alas no coat. It didn't fit well either.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yes, you have to fit in or you are left out.

I stopped in for supper at a restaurant once and had to use their "loaner" coat. I had the shirt and tie, but alas no coat. It didn't fit well either.
That's way too stuffy for me! Dressing up is a polo shirt and a clean pair of jeans. The late DW liked the fancier places every once in a while and I would wear appropriate attire, but that was many years ago. I will make an exception for DD's wedding this fall, but I don't think I will look wealthy.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #367
Give me a forum ...

That was in CA too, a place in San Diego even. I dunno, it was weird, only time ever.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:46 PM   #368
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
How I (or others) spend their money is nobody's business.
+1
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:19 AM   #369
Give me a forum ...

I read that as "white people" and was really taken aback for a moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I

Remember when whites were required to play tennis (like they still are at Wimbledon)?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:52 AM   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
They really operate under the radar. We only know about it because of sightings. e.g. the van dropping the beggar off at her regular spot, the vendor getting out of his BMW and changing clothes. There are also vans that drop off beach vendors who are not so well off. We understand the beach vendor hierarchy by talking to them over many years. Eventually they open up about their daily quotas, etc.
This is interesting. We spend 8 weeks a year dealing with the beach vendors in Nuevo Vallarta. I always assumed that some corporate enterprise owned the inventory that these poor soles shoulder(literally) up and down the beach all day. I assumed that these folks take home a small portion of there daily earnings and that some fat cat entrepreneur kept the majority as profit. Am I mistaken?
Old 05-26-2016, 06:08 AM   #371
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
that's cool. I just want to point out the hypocrisy people harbor toward how money is spent.

according to what I think your saying is
travel= good use of money
rolex watch= bad use of money and irresponsible to society.

How is that so?

My sneakers allow me to keep my mobility without a well made pair of shoes/sneakers I do further joint damage. If I had said I was taking a fabulous cruise, in general the response would have been "oohs and aahs" no one would have even mention soup kitchens. take that same cash and say you are buying some thing and you're told about all the suffering in the nation.

if thousands are spent traveling everyone is cool with that, if thousands are spent on speed boats. we should be doing more to help the poor?

iMO the reason I saved and lbmm was to have options and choices. I wanted to spend a month in Paris I wanted to b e able to, If I wanted to take that same money and buy enough legos to replicate all of paris in my livingroom, I wanted to be able to do that also.

maybe that's the real reason to hide one's wealth

IMO traveling, buying a Rolex or a speedboat has created good jobs for somebody somewhere. I do give to charity and believe strongly in helping those who can't help themselves, but good jobs created by buying some of the nice things in life helps the economy more and provides more tax revenue for our governments to waste. Buying nice things is nothing to be ashamed of or to feel guilty for. Bragging about it is a different story.

Enjoying life!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:39 AM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Buying nice things is nothing to be ashamed of or to feel guilty for. Bragging about it is a different story.

Enjoying life!
Agree. And likewise. Also doesn't bother me in the least that many people don't share my tastes in how I spend my money. That's what makes the world go round.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
I assumed that these folks take home a small portion of there daily earnings and that some fat cat entrepreneur kept the majority as profit. Am I mistaken?
Apparently they have a daily quota and if they miss that consistently they are fired. If they exceed their quota every day, they are promoted to the next level, which has training of other junior vendors as part of it.

The guys that drive their own car have graduated beyond that company and work on their own. They have to maintain a low profile to avoid being challenged by the corporate guys. The guy that carries jewelry in their hands have not yet to earned the right to carry a case yet.

The beach food vendors have their own corporate structure.

There are also the OPC crowd who get paid $500 to get you and your spouse to show up at a timeshare pitch. They will pay you a portion of that $500 to get you there, usually in "free" coupons to other events. There are big margins there because the price of the property they are selling is inflated by 5x or more when compared to buying the property full-time. They confuse people in their packaging.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #374
Give me a forum ...

People are sensible, and do what's important for them. One thing I've absorbed from the forum is that many of us wear worn-out clothes and drive elderly vehicles because it saves money, doesn't hurt anybody, and we don't care how it looks.

Haven't yet heard from anyone who brags about eating cheap, crappy food; not going to the dentist, although that can run into big bucks; not taking the sick dog to the vet, although that can also be very expensive, and another dog can be obtained at little cost; and so on.

My point is that people here can rustle up a lot of dough, if the thing they want is important enough to them. So we're really talking about a few things: jewelry, cars, watches, not being important to forum members. I'm mystified how "The Poor" even got mixed up in the discussion. That seems to me like a whole separate issue: whether and how much one gives away, and how much it impacts your lifestyle.

Quote:
Buying nice things is nothing to be ashamed of or to feel guilty for. Bragging about it is a different story.

Enjoying life!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #375
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IMO traveling, buying a Rolex or a speedboat has created good jobs for somebody somewhere. I do give to charity and believe strongly in helping those who can't help themselves, but good jobs created by buying some of the nice things in life helps the economy more and provides more tax revenue for our governments to waste. Buying nice things is nothing to be ashamed of or to feel guilty for. Bragging about it is a different story.

Enjoying life!
I agree with the above. My charity is largely direct- I tip servers very well.

Many waitresses are single mothers, some bartenders support families. I support all these people, and just skip the middle class busy-bodies who get paid by the charity industry, and more important, I skip the bloated $mm+ charity executive salaries.

I also do not condemn bragging about one's luxury purchases. How is that more obnoxious than all the "I'm morally superior to you others" bragging by those whose expenditure patterns (in their minds) make them superior to crass, less elevated humanity? I have heard and read more people brag about their supposed moral superiority than I have heard bragging about luxury expenditures.

Talk about your new Corvette, you get points for having money. Talk about your frequent European trips you get double points- you prove 1) that you have the money to spend, and 2) demonstrate that you are morally and socially superior to that clod who bought a Corvette while his mind was rotted by his low class taste. It's all bragging, a universal human trait that truly is not a problem. I

Ha
Old 05-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #376
Give me a forum ...

Yes, people like to brag, but they disagree on what to brag about.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #377
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, people like to brag, but they disagree on what to brag about.
"we live modestly"
AboutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:14 AM   #378
Recycles dryer sheets

"... conspicuous consumption increases perceptions of status, which in turn elicits benefits from others (e.g., compliance with a request)."

Guest Post: The Curious Case of Women’s Conspicuous Consumption | Evolutionary Psychology
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22 View Post
"... conspicuous consumption increases perceptions of status, which in turn elicits benefits from others (e.g., compliance with a request)."

Guest Post: The Curious Case of Women’s Conspicuous Consumption | Evolutionary Psychology
Interesting article, but I thought the comments were even more fun! Like:

"The best illusion of female high mate-value is to flaunt the corresponding mate-value of your male pair-bonded partner."

My poor wife! If she's being judged by her ratty jeans/shorts/t shirt wearing pair bonded partner people must not think much of her!!!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22 View Post

Quote:
When assigned to the conspicuous condition, male confederates wore a Ralph Lauren collared shirt and Ray-Ban sunglasses and female confederates carried a Louis Vuitton tote and wore Dolce and Gabbana sunglasses. When assigned to the non-conspicuous condition, male and female confederates wore generic versions of each of these accessories.
I'm probably not alone on this forum in wondering: How would a test subject know if the confederate were wearing the name brand (and that it was expensive)? I sure couldn't tell by looking--unless they neglected to remove the price tags.