Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a Mark Zuckerberg like wardrobe. T-shirts and jeans.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We pretty much go Fuego's route, with exceptions for schooling and the house we used to have. (I don't even recognize most of the fancy brands FS mentioned in his piece.) Cheap cars, rusted truck, nonwork clothes from walmart/target.

The jobs give us away right now though, and we rarely get to really meet anyone other than work related. That will soon change and new acquaintances won't immediately tag us as "rich" doc/lawyer once we quit playing these roles.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

We live in a nicer neighborhood which of course invites contractors to charge more and friends to say "wow" but in reality we live significantly below our means. I drive an almost 10 year old car, some of my suits are 20 years old, etc.... We also don't eat out a lot and almost never at expensive restaurants. My weak point is vacations. I often pick $300-500/night hotels, go to a nice dinner, hit a show, hit an expensive tourist activity, etc.... Travel is definitely my weak point but as long as we keep that to ourselves we can still live stealthlike in "real life." I enjoyed that stealth article btw. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post

Like RunningBum, I'll pass on the Kardashians, too. I once stumbled onto that show for a few seconds (by mistake) and felt my IQ drop a few points by the time I got to the remote and changed the channel.
I love this. Actually, I feel the same way when I watch most regular TV, especially local news and anything with a laugh track. Thank goodness for PBS and Netflix.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
We live in a nicer neighborhood which of course invites contractors to charge more and friends to say "wow" but in reality we live significantly below our means. I drive an almost 10 year old car, some of my suits are 20 years old, etc.... We also don't eat out a lot and almost never at expensive restaurants. My weak point is vacations. I often pick $300-500/night hotels, go to a nice dinner, hit a show, hit an expensive tourist activity, etc.... Travel is definitely my weak point but as long as we keep that to ourselves we can still live stealthlike in "real life." I enjoyed that stealth article btw. Thanks for posting.
We're like that. I have a pile of T-shirts from athletic events and company promotions over the past 15+ years and that's what I wear on top in warm weather and at the gym. I still fit into my business wardrobe when I need to look respectable. Just don't look at the pile of jewelry in our safe or ask me about our upcoming vacation to Iceland! Bonus: when you dress like a peasant a potential mugger is less likely to believe that your watch is a real Rolex.

I'm actually a bit suspicious when I see people dressed to the nines in the latest fashion or driving around in Range Rovers. Sometimes they're the ones who spend everything they have and more to keep up appearances.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #26

I know I'm dressed appropriately when people see me toiling in the yard and say " Look - they have a gardener"
Old 05-10-2016, 08:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

I'm actually a bit suspicious when I see people dressed to the nines in the latest fashion or driving around in Range Rovers. Sometimes they're the ones who spend everything they have and more to keep up appearances.
Could be, but maybe they are just wealthy? Not everyone who dresses well or drives a nice car is in debt to their ears. But if it makes you feel better assume away. I sometimes do too. Natural. But mostly when I see someone who is appropriately well dressed, I think "Nice outfit".

I like to dress according to the occasion. Sweats and t shirts certainly quite frequently, but on other occasions like out to a nice restaurant it's a sport jacket with blue jeans. Depends. Hardly ever wear suits other than to weddings or funerals, nevertheless, these occasions do happen from time to time so I am prepared.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'm so poor I mow my own lawn because it's cheaper than a gym membership.
You have a lawn to mow? I don't even have one.

I do not flaunt my wealth because I do not have it. I consider people with an 8-figure portfolio wealthy, and I am not there.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Could be, but maybe they are just wealthy? Not everyone who dresses well or drives a nice car is in debt to their ears. But if it makes you feel better assume away.
Exactly, have a guy on property behind me and occasionally here is Lambo winding up as it comes down the country lane. Out of my league but his grandfather patented the steel ball in spray paint cans, so......
Old 05-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I hide my wealth all the time. My landlord clothes consist of a pair of Dickies, in Carthart brown, with the hammer loop. A few paint spots, a few holes.

I almost 100% of the time wear a Menards t-shirt, when I feel like dressing up it's one without paint spots on it...

Even a few friends have mentioned to be when speaking about FIRE, "You really do not have a lot of expenses"...

The lawn generally needs to be mowed, and I have an old furnace, a snow plow, and a old 16-slot mailbox in the driveway. Which has major asphalt holes in it.

Of course, if I wanted to work until I am 90, I could have a better appearance.
You probably forgot to mention the Menards T-shirt was free! I haven't paid any money for a work outside shirt or hat in 10 years...I'm a walking Menards add.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #31

I think I have done this very well in my life and I get it from my parents. We live in a very affluent area but our house was built in 1978 and my Dad's house in 1973. They are both in great shape, but the style (and WAY TOO SMALL square footage of 2200-2400) is very dated around here. I am sure those that are making way to their 3/4 million dollar McMansions just cringe when they see me turn into our "old run down" neighborhood where the values are a measly 250-300K. Of course, I have a very big lot and mature trees and my taxes are a 1/3rd of the neighborhoods around me so I am pretty happy! I wouldn't want to flaunt it anyway...when I see how pretentious people act around here (who may very well NOT have a high net worth) there is no way I want to look/act like them. As far as clothes are concerned...yeah, they are clean but most are old and my wardrobe consists of jeans, t-shirts and cargo pants.

I think the Millionaire Next Door had the right idea...older cars and reasonable houses. Of course when the author died (he lived in our area), he was driving a Corvette and was on the way to his luxurious house in the Atlanta Country Club...so there is that!
Old 05-10-2016, 09:17 AM   #32

Always fun to read an article that doesn't apply to me!
Old 05-10-2016, 09:17 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Great article and I'm a shorts and t-shirt guy, usually with a few holes in the shirt. Neighbor lady recently complained to me about my old tennis shoes, so the next time she saw me I had them wrapped up with some duct tape just for effect.

I think in this day and age many people want to flaunt their so called wealth to impress others as to how well they are doing. There is a word in Websters for that "insecurity".
The shoe thing is funny, but the older I get the more I go for good supportive tennies, When I swap out a pair of shoes I am usually caught off guard by how much better my feet feel at the end of the day.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #34

Great site! Thanks.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #35

The wealthy are definitely getting a bad rap and a lot of resentment these days.

Just recently in line at a coffee shop, I was referred to --under his breath-- as "that a-hole who just got out of that Mercedes" as if I didn't belong there.

But I stopped worrying about what people think a long time ago.
Goes with the territory.

Had a very wealthy great-uncle who wouldn't smoke cigars in public in case 'people might think I'm rich' --but everyone knew he was anyway.

(And yes, I drove home in my car while the hipster with the comment pedaled his bike in the rain; I didn't beep as I passed him)
Old 05-10-2016, 09:34 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I try not to poor mouth - people are aware we have rentals, though I don't normally include the number when they are mentioned. People are aware of how much time and work we put into the rentals. I very rarely mention that we make property loans or how many we have funded at any particular time. On occasion a defaulting loan may be mentioned along with the hassle and expense involved, more in the nature of a good story.

I'm up in trees pruning, fix toilets, and love yard sales with a passion. Day-to-day I'm no tall poppy (tall poppies get cut), but that is just my normal bent.

"Of the Australian definition, Peter Hartcher of the Sydney Morning Herald writes, "(Australian) citizens know that some among them will have more power and money than others... But according to the unspoken national ethos, no Australian is permitted to assume that he or she is better than any other Australian. How is this enforced? By the prompt corrective of levelling derision. It has a name—The "Tall Poppy Syndrome". The tallest flowers in the field will be cut down to the same size as all the others. This is sometimes misunderstood...It isn't success that offends Australians. It's the affront committed by anyone who starts to put on superior airs."
Old 05-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #37

I hide my "wealth" by wandering around the neighborhood in pajama pants and slipper socks. People just think I'm crazy. Works a treat.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

This is verging on Harrison Bergeron. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron

I'm more on the side of old Ann Landers who said, "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission." Then again, if people driving expensive cars made us feel inferior, we'd never be able to park at our gym. There's a different-colored Tesla there every week and Mercedes are common as gnats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I

... But according to the unspoken national ethos, no Australian is permitted to assume that he or she is better than any other Australian. How is this enforced? By the prompt corrective of levelling derision. It has a name—The "Tall Poppy Syndrome". The tallest flowers in the field will be cut down to the same size as all the others. This is sometimes misunderstood...It isn't success that offends Australians. It's the affront committed by anyone who starts to put on superior airs."
Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

A variation on The Millionaire Next Door. Many millionaires just don't want status symbols, it's not that they're trying to hide their wealth.

There was a poll here quite a while ago that showed the collective value of homes here was (much) lower than average as a % of net worth - but not because we're all hiding anything.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I hide my "wealth" by wandering around the neighborhood in pajama pants and slipper socks. People just think I'm crazy. Works a treat.

I actually do see people in pajama pants more and more in stores, so pretty soon, you will be the norm! (Wait, I haven't seen anybody with slipper socks though... )