High(er)-rate CD deals

Re: The IBond limits...:blush:

I was living in the past... The $10,000 limit was enacted in 2008. Our bonds go back to the early 2000's, when the limit was $30,000 per year, per SS #, so DW and I were able to buy $60K in a year.
While I do look at the current value, I haven't bought any since the new limits were enacted, and didn't know about the change.
We're hoping that if inflation comes along that the CPI will follow.

Mea Culpa

It seems my credit union here who doesn't have the ability to send ACH transfers on their Web site can fill out a form & you sign it & they will initiate any amount you want to transfer. The whole thing is a bit weird how the different people at different credit unions handle these requests. Not sure where these limits are coming from. Why would a credit union self impose an ACH deposit limit? Isn't odd that a credit union would put up an obstacle to deposit money in their institution? Training level seems to vary widely with employees. If you walked in the a CU with a million dollars I'm sure they wouldn't impose any deposit limits. So what's the difference? Money is nearly all virtual now anyway.
The deposit limit would be for ACH. Perhaps it's because they might have to deal with a rollback if the ACH deposit was decided to be in error? That can happen.

I noticed that some credit unions don't impose an ACH limit if you are buying a CD and give them account and routing number from which to draw the funds. But they do impose ACH limits if you are pulling the funds into a checking or savings account. This is because if it goes into a CD, the funds stay there, and if fraud or some problem is discovered, the funds can be returned. But a savings or checking account is much more liquid. So they impose limits. Seems like a hold on the funds could work as well, but I suppose they prefer the limits.

If you use your other institution to initiate the transfer, you get away from these protective limits, assuming your other institution has higher limits close to what you need.

Last edited:
Here is a CA credit union now paying 2.72% for a 5 year CD. Need to qualify for membership. Those living in the San Francisco area have a good chance. Also, they post the following, among other ways to qualify You are an employee or pensioner of one of the 1100+ companies (including AT&T and Walgreens), associations, trade groups, chambers of commerce, or federal government agencies served by Patelco Credit Union.

https://www.patelco.org/Rates/#CDs
I opened a new 2.75% apr 5-yr CD today at Patelco. They have a nice new office in the town where I live. Their service was great and it only took a couple of minutes (we are already members).

I opened a new 2.75% apr 5-yr CD today at Patelco. They have a nice new office in the town where I live. Their service was great and it only took a couple of minutes (we are already members).

That's a good rate, and it looks like the early termination penalty is only six months, which is as low as I've seen. What does it take to join? Are there any restrictions?

That's a good rate, and it looks like the early termination penalty is only six months, which is as low as I've seen. What does it take to join? Are there any restrictions?
I had an HSA at Patelco. It was easy to join, even though I was in MI and they were in CA.

It looks like they are in the Bay Area, so about 500 miles away. Not that I need them to be close just to open a CD.

Very interesting. I have a 5 year CD with Barclays at 2.25% with a six month penalty. I'll have to do the math to determine the breakeven point to recover the penalty, but I bet it's probably worth it.

Looks like you either have to live in northern California or work/belong to one of over 1100 organizations that can be found here.

NFCU Add-CD is Back

Apparently NFCU is offering the "Add-On" feature for existing CDs until the end of the month. I have not seen any promos for this since they started offering the 17 month specials that feature add-on at anytime. I noticed an "add-on" icon on my account summary but it didn't work so I had to call in and they said all CDs are in the add-on period.
I have an existing CD @ 2.3 with 15 months left on it so this is great for me.

Apparently NFCU is offering the "Add-On" feature for existing CDs until the end of the month. I have not seen any promos for this since they started offering the 17 month specials that feature add-on at anytime. I noticed an "add-on" icon on my account summary but it didn't work so I had to call in and they said all CDs are in the add-on period.

I have an existing CD @ 2.3 with 15 months left on it so this is great for me.

I have an Add-on NWFCU 3% due in the fall of 2018, that I have added on to, to the $100,000 cap. I'd like to think they have raised the cap, but assume that limit is still in place. If I'm mistaken please enlighten me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom