Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Wake me up if something hits 5%.
Heck - 3% is interesting!

Even though I'm not really interested in committing to 5 years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I would take another 3% 5 year CD, especially with a reasonable EWP.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD
Debinnov a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:49 PM   #63
Gone but not forgotten

Hard to even look at CD rates now. Remembering back around 1985, when we were getting 12.5% from Metlife Bank on some 5 year CD's. Moved to IBonds in 2001 through 2003, which are still paying between 4.8% and 5.6%

Re Synchrony... It took 32 days and hours and hours of calls to get a 70 1/2 distribution, at a time when we needed it for a rather large one time bill. The problem is that there is only one way to get this distribution, and that's by mail. It took them 13 days to open the first mail, and they never notified me at all that there was any kind of a problem. It took three calls to even find out why I hadn't received the distribution. Turns out one box on the request form hadn't been checked. They required a whole new form... no FAX. Two more weeks.
I sent a complaint to the FDIC, and three weeks later received a letter from Synchrony apologising. The customer service was rude, arrogant, and involved longer waits than Comcast... and that's saying something.

I firmly believe that this type of stall in paying is a matter of course and involves cash flow for the bank.

Highest CD rates are listed @ bankrate.com.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:44 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
... Re Synchrony... It took 32 days and hours and hours of calls to get a 70 1/2 distribution, at a time when we needed it for a rather large one time bill. The problem is that there is only one way to get this distribution, and that's by mail. It took them 13 days to open the first mail, and they never notified me at all that there was any kind of a problem. It took three calls to even find out why I hadn't received the distribution. Turns out one box on the request form hadn't been checked. They required a whole new form... no FAX. Two more weeks.
I sent a complaint to the FDIC, and three weeks later received a letter from Synchrony apologising. The customer service was rude, arrogant, and involved longer waits than Comcast... and that's saying something.

I firmly believe that this type of stall in paying is a matter of course and involves cash flow for the bank.
That's disappointing to hear, as Synchrony often has some of the highest rates available on 3-5yr CD's.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
That's disappointing to hear, as Synchrony often has some of the highest rates available on 3-5yr CD's.
I think a lot of the banks and credit unions have inconsistent customer service, unfortunately. But if you only use them for certain idiot-proof things, like CD's they are OK because they are not often needed to be contacted (ideally). My own credit union has horrible reviews online, from folks who have loans, but not from the cd holders.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #66

I, in the literal financial sense, just got a 100% effective interest rate. Local bank offered a $50 Visa gift card. Only requirement is to open a savings account for $100 and leave it there for 6 months.
Rules allowed it, so DW and I opened 2 individual accounts for $100 each. Come August we'll get those gift cards. The bank was 1 mile from our house, so worth the "trip."
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #67

Interesting side note. I was checking out Melrose Credit Union in Briarwood, NY, since they had 5 year CD's at 2.42% recently. But they are getting killed by Uber since they have a lot of loans out to the old fashioned taxi drivers in NYC with those million dollar medallions who are getting behind on those loans. Depositaccounts.com says they have suspended evaluating Melrose's financial status for this reason.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Navy Federal Add-On CD
Old 03-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Navy Federal Add-On CD

I just noticed NFCU is offering the Add-On feature for existing CD's. I have not seen any announcement for this feature and I have been checking regularly since the 1st of the year. Typically this option runs from Jan 1 to Apr 15. You can add to an existing CD and get the same interest rate for the remainder of the term. I have one at 4% with a year left to maturity that is enticing.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

We are sitting on some 3% PenFed 5 Year CDs for out After Tax Moneys and 3% Great West MM Fund on our Taxables. ~$2m. Still another ~2yeas to go on the PenFeds.

We are NOT complaining.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
You could always try filling out the forms correctly checking all the boxes that need checking. Synchrony may very well perform admirably on requests with no mistakes or other issues and just have a problem dealing with boo-boo's on the part of the customer.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I just noticed NFCU is offering the Add-On feature for existing CD's. I have not seen any announcement for this feature and I have been checking regularly since the 1st of the year. Typically this option runs from Jan 1 to Apr 15. You can add to an existing CD and get the same interest rate for the remainder of the term. I have one at 4% with a year left to maturity that is enticing.
I looked on the NFCU web site (but didn't bother logging in) and didn't see that offer. Where did you find it, specifically?

BTW, noticed where you are from which triggered thoughts about my many years in that area and was a Tower FCU member. Wondered what rates they are paying these days, checked their web site and was amazed how little they are paying at the moment. I always found them great to do business with.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:19 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
You could always try filling out the forms correctly checking all the boxes that need checking. Synchrony may very well perform admirably on requests with no mistakes or other issues and just have a problem dealing with boo-boo's on the part of the customer.
Thanks for the suggestion.

So you're saying that customer service may only be lousy when it is needed. The rest of the time....no problem?
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:05 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

This caught my eye today:

---
Internet bank EBSB Direct has three competitive CDs: 16-month CD (1.35% APY), 24-month Bump-Up CD (1.41% APY), and 48-month CD (2.13% APY). The minimum opening deposit for all three CDs is $1K, with no maximum balance cap.
---

More details, incl early withdrawal penalty info, here: EBSB Direct Now Offers Nationally Available CDs
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I looked on the NFCU web site (but didn't bother logging in) and didn't see that offer. Where did you find it, specifically?

BTW, noticed where you are from which triggered thoughts about my many years in that area and was a Tower FCU member. Wondered what rates they are paying these days, checked their web site and was amazed how little they are paying at the moment. I always found them great to do business with.

So sorry I missed your post in time to reply. In past years NFCU has put the add-on notice in a prominent location but for the last two years there was no notice. It generally runs from Jan 1st to Apr 15th. You could call and ask but if you log in there is an "add on" drop down box available on the detail page of the specific CD when the promo is running.

As for Tower FCU my brother swears by them but I never found their rates to be attractive. I live near their HQ which qualifies me for membership or I guess I might qualify as family of a member

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Hi folks, I was thinking it might be helpful to post info about CD deals and rate promotions in one thread. They tend to come & go fairly quickly.

(If there is already such a thread here, I applogize -- let me know & I'll delete this).

I'll start:

PenFed recently announced a 15-month CD (1.51% APY), minimum deposit $1K, with no maximum balance cap.

More details here

Too bad we don't have enough posts to this thread to make it a sticky, but since there are at least 4 other threads on this topic, I'll just put this here instead of starting another.

Does anybody else take note of unfamiliar banks and credit unions while traveling and look them up to see if they have any deals?

I went to Warwick, RI this weekend and noticed Greenwood Credit Union so I looked them up. They have some decent rates (2.1% 5yr CD), an "A" health rating on depositaccounts.com, and open membership.

Best deal I know right now is still Andrews (Air Force Base) Federal Credit Union 3% CD for 84 months with only 6 month early w/d penalty.
Edit: This one is IRA only
Old 09-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #76
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Too bad we don't have enough posts to this thread to make it a sticky, but since there are at least 4 other threads on this topic, I'll just put this here instead of starting another.

Does anybody else take note of unfamiliar banks and credit unions while traveling and look them up to see if they have any deals?

I went to Warwick, RI this weekend and noticed Greenwood Credit Union so I looked them up. They have some decent rates (2.1% 5yr CD), an "A" health rating on depositaccounts.com, and open membership.

Best deal I know right now is still Andrews (Air Force Base) Federal Credit Union 3% CD for 84 months with only 6 month early w/d penalty.
Anyone know of a 3% [or close] CD that is not IRA only with a 6 month early penalty?
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #77

Quote:
Not exactly on topic for this thread, but FWIW, I want to mention that another good reason to join that CU is they offer a Chip & PIN Visa card that works very well (without requiring a signature) at many places in Europe.

For example, I have bailed my rental car out of automated parking garages and bought train tickets at unattended kiosks in Belgium using just my PIN.

It will often default to signature when there is a person available (such as a restaurant waiter) but it often works just as a European card would.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

FYI, if you're looking for someplace to park some cash for 1-2 years, these are pretty good rates for now. Just bear in mind the early withdrawal penalty.

More details in this link:
https://www.depositaccounts.com/bank...gs-fcu/offers/

Garden Savings FCU (Easy Membership) Hikes CD Rates

Availability: Easy Membership Requirement
Last week, New Jersey-based Garden Savings Federal Credit Union (Garden Savings FCU) substantially raised the rates on three of its Share Certificates: 12-month (1.41% APY), 18-month (1.51% APY), and 2-year (1.66% APY). The minimum opening deposit is $500, with no stated balance cap. On terms of 1 year or greater, early withdrawal penalty is 180 days of dividends earned.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Any hints for redeeming Synchrony Bank CDs at maturity?

From their documentation, Synchrony Bank CDs automatically renew at maturity (you can't set up any other options in advance), and you have 10 days of grace period (from that renewal time) to redeem the CD without penalty.

But there is no explanation of the process to go through - do you have notify in writing? Can you call? How tricky is it?

Yes, I'll call customer service when it gets close to maturity time to make sure. I just wondered if anyone had already dealt with this and how easy it was.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity has a nifty little tool for searching for CDs and building various length ladders.

https://fixedincome.fidelity.com/ftg...-new-issue|all
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cds