Join Early Retirement Today

High stock AA
Old 03-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

High stock AA

I've been reading a lot of articles about the lack of diversification available now, where bonds and equities move in lock-step. Gold and commodities are no longer a hedge. I believe some of this is due to ETFS and target date funds with a set AA that fund managers cannot move money around very easily. What do you think? If you agree, what hedges are available for the next rotation? I can only think of real estate or private equity (non-listed investments).

bj345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj345 View Post
I've been reading a lot of articles about the lack of diversification available now, where bonds and equities move in lock-step. Gold and commodities are no longer a hedge. I believe some of this is due to ETFS and target date funds with a set AA that fund managers cannot move money around very easily. What do you think? If you agree, what hedges are available for the next rotation? I can only think of real estate or private equity (non-listed investments).
And if atocks and bonds are so corrolated, why not just settle for an AA with high % of equities?

Old 03-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been reading a lot of articles about the lack of diversification available now, where bonds and equities move in lock-step. ...
Yup. Looks like they are moving in perfect lockstep to me.

Blue line is Total Stock, orange is Total Bond. Pick any period of time that you want.

VTSAX Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares Fund VTSAX chart

Don't believe everything that you read.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Blue line is Total Stock, orange is Total Bond. Pick any period of time that you want.

Thanks for keeping me focused on the long term. I guess people are concerned with the rate increases being the end of the bond bull mkt.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I dunno. That chart shows that ever since the Great Recession in 2008, both stocks and bonds have been going up.

Maybe it's time for both of them to go down together.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I dunno. That chart shows that ever since the Great Recession in 2008, both stocks and bonds have been going up.

Maybe it's time for both of them to go down together.
Maybe. There is a risk here in terms of long term rates and equity prices. That's why I am keeping duration low on the fixed side.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Maybe. There is a risk here in terms of long term rates and equity prices. That's why I am keeping duration low on the fixed side.
Depends on how soon you need to take money from your bonds. Mine is not needed for 7 years, so any duration less than 7 years works for me.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been reading a lot of articles about ....
Quote:

Hah! This reminds me of a more technical forum I visit. The 'mentors' or others with some certification will often say to a poster that "I've been reading and..." doesn't pass muster here. Give a source, and summarize what you think they are saying.

OK, this forum isn't that formal, but the concept applies. When someone says to me something like "well, they say...", I usually respond "they" say lots of things, and most of it is wrong!

-ERD50

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote