High taxable distributions in 2014?

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This has been discussed here on some threads, so I think my experiences are common, but wanted to ask. My actively managed mutual funds have had much higher taxable distributions in 2013 and 2014 (especially high in 2014). Some were 4-5 times higher in 2014 than the average the past 5 years before 2013. Has this been others' experiences also?

That's because the stock market has been roaring the past few years and a lot of mutual funds sold stocks to take profits and rebalance into other stocks the past couple years.

I thought 2013 was unusually high and then I got one in 2014 that was more than double the previous year. The bad news is that the cost basis for this account is so low, I don't want to pay the capital gains to sell it (most of the money has been in there more than 20 years). The good news is that the distribution is covering a good bit of our 2015 living expenses, so it's like getting a salary but only paying CG tax rates on it. Makes me happier to think about it this way.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The distributions were high, always a surprise although they should be expected after such a long, strong run-up. I also saw a higher rate of non-QDI income than in previous years, so my taxes this year will be substantially higher than I expected.

It's painful, but I'd rather this than the tax loss harvesting that kept our taxes low in other years...

Back
Top Bottom