Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

High Yield Corporate Bonds
Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

High Yield Corporate Bonds

With the big interest rates being charged to lend money to the less that AAA credit grade corporations out there junk bonds have taken off this year. What are you opinions about them in a portfolio. I've always stayed away from them because I see them as risky and volatile, is in now the time to buy a something like Vanguard High Yield Corporate Bond fund?
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bought VEHWX back in Nov when the yields were near 12% and the price was 4.31. The price is now $5.31 and the yield has dropped to 8.5%. I stopped reinvesting dividends several months ago. As others have said high yield bonds historically behave as a hybrid between equities and bonds. So for AA purpose a 10% investment in the Vanguard High Yield should probably count as say 5% stocks and 5% bonds.

I personally don't think we've seen the end of this wave of corporate bankruptcies. On the other hand Vanguard has historically held safer junk bonds. For instance when I bought it back in Nov. they held no Chrysler, or GM bonds, and only a bit of GMAC and small amount of Ford bonds.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

None for me, thanks. Maybe I'm missing an opportunity, but somehow the word "junk", used to informally label these bonds, speaks volumes to my chicken feathers.
There was some sort of junk bond crisis back in the 70s, or was it the 80s , or both for all I know, that stands out in my memory banks before I was even an investor.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

High yield is less of the deal it was a few months ago, but spreads are still extremely high. If you believe that the economy has turned the corner, it likely means that the defaults that are already baked in and obvious will be most of them, so there could be good values in junk.

I own one junk bond which was issued by a company I already had a sizable equity position in and have followed for years. It was very hard to buy as a retail investor and has appreciated from 60 cents on the dollar to 85 (at last trade). Between how hard it is to buy as a retailer and the fact that you simply must be able to do solid credit work to avoid getting blown up with defaults, I would suggest that you use a fund for junk unless you have a strong background in securities analysis.

I think a very nice risk adjusted return is currently offered by BBB and A rated corporates (investment grade, but not AA or AAA). Most of these companies are quite solid and face very little risk of default, yet you get a very attractive yield (350 to 400 BP over treasuiries). Since I expect the rally in corporate credit to continue trickling down to A and BBB bonds (this is what insurance companies buy and every one I follow has publicly stated they are using excess cash to buy bonds), there may well be attractive capital gains down the road.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote