Join Early Retirement Today

Hillary and Bill
Old 03-14-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hillary and Bill

“You get to where people can’t trade with each other,” said James L. Melcher, president of Balestra Capital, a hedge fund based in New York. “If the Fed hadn’t acted this morning and Bear did default on its obligations, then that could have triggered a very widespread panic and potentially a collapse of the financial system.”

I would certainly rather have Hillary and Bill attending to this problem rather than Obama. Barack has already said he doesn't do details.

I know Hillary and Bill do detail work. All I have to do is look back fondly to the eight years of peace and prosperity we had under their leadership.

As for Bush, his deregulation of the markets are now causing him to basically nationalize the banks. He was against nation building and the regulation of markets and now he has both.

Quite the joke, really.

Presidents do make a difference as we can see with the one we've got.

boont
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2008, 01:18 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
I would certainly rather have Hillary and Bill attending to this problem rather than Obama. Barack has already said he doesn't do details.
Do you think anyone can deal with this problem. This is not just a one-time, isolated incident.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:49 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
Do you think anyone can deal with this problem. This is not just a one-time, isolated incident.
Yes. The banks need to be regulated. Deregulation was a bad idea. They were more heavily regulated in the past because of similar problems in the past.

In theory deregulation works... But when you combine it with people who are opportunist and harm others because of money motives... it needs to be in place.

You are seeing the first signs of a big problem. If we want our money system and most basic financial institutions to be safe and solid... they need to be regulated. The Fed (Tax payers) cannot afford to bail out the banking industry time and time again because of bad eggs. Yes we can prosecute them, but the damage is done.

Regulation is the only practical way!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
“You get to where people can’t trade with each other,” said James L. Melcher, president of Balestra Capital, a hedge fund based in New York. “If the Fed hadn’t acted this morning and Bear did default on its obligations, then that could have triggered a very widespread panic and potentially a collapse of the financial system.”

I know Hillary and Bill do detail work. All I have to do is look back fondly to the eight years of peace and prosperity we had under their leadership.

As for Bush, his deregulation of the markets are now causing him to basically nationalize the banks. He was against nation building and the regulation of markets and now he has both.

Quite the joke, really.

Presidents do make a difference as we can see with the one we've got.

boont
Sounds like an ad (are you working for a particular campaign?)
Old 03-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

GIMME A BREAK!!!!

Bill got so lucky it is a joke.... the Russian's had finally given up, so he could spend a LOT less on the military..

The terrorists were content in small bombings over there.... so it did not get on the radar..

He had a repub congress that prevented him from doing anything that HE wanted to do...

I don't think Bill OR Hillary would have done any better than the current group...

The one problem with the current group is that we won the 'war' a long time ago and should have left... they would have taken care of whatever fallout that occurred.... it was not our problem...

As for the economy... there is a lot of things that need to get fixed... but that is painful and we do not want to feel the pain... The market is still higher than it was a year (or two?) ago... and we have recessions in this country... it is called the 'business cycle'... all normal... what is different this time is a small recession is being blown out of proportion with the talking heads... until we are in the 7 to 8% unemployment range... don't bother with all the 'rescue' packages... it will work itself out... and the country would be stronger for it...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

What is this obsession Texans have with Bush

The man's been a miserable joke for eight years.

And the joke's on us.:confused:
talltrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by talltrees View Post
You haven't been to Austin, have you?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Old 03-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Good point. A blue oasis in a sea of red.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

As for the economy... there is a lot of things that need to get fixed... but that is painful and we do not want to feel the pain... The market is still higher than it was a year (or two?) ago... and we have recessions in this country... it is called the 'business cycle'... all normal... what is different this time is a small recession is being blown out of proportion with the talking heads... until we are in the 7 to 8% unemployment range... don't bother with all the 'rescue' packages... it will work itself out... and the country would be stronger for it...
I was going to vote for McCain - I've changed my mind. I'm voting for Texas Proud!
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

boont
If Hillary and Bill (actually I thought it was just Bill as president, didn't realize it was him AND Hillary) were so great, why hasn't their own party marched to the polls and put them back in office?
Old 03-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Hillary and Bill?

Old 03-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

REWahoo, that is some funny sheet. Good thing Chelsea doesn't look like that.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hillary and Bill?
I'm sorry, but there's something seriously wrong with that picture.

There's supposed to be one boob. Depending on how you look at it, there's either none or two.
Da Nag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Nag View Post
I'm sorry, but there's something seriously wrong with that picture.

There's supposed to be one boob. Depending on how you look at it, there's either none or two.
There are definitely two. And it has nothing to do with the anatomy.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by talltrees View Post

The man's been a miserable joke for eight years.

And the joke's on us.:confused:
Not 'obsessed' at all.... I think he has done a lot of bad things and made many bad decisions... but he was 'helped' with the idiot repubs who started to spend on every dang thing they could think of....

I just don't get the 'obsession' people have of Clinton... he did very little in office... because at that time the repubs did not let him do as he pleased and HE did not let them do their stupid stuff...

In about 100 or so years.. when people look back and study this time period.. Clinton will be considered a below average president... Bush probably will also, but if the middle east somehow gets 'fixed' and it is because of this war... well, then he will look like a genius (even though it was not what he was doing)...

IMO, the last 16 years of presidents have been pretty poor... and Bush I was not up there, but was better than either of the last two... Reagan was GOOD, but not as much as he is made out by the far right... Carter was also a JOKE... Ford was OK to good, but just did not do enough..

Nixon What can you say... another bad one (except for his China thing)...

Now back to Johnson who probably was the one who had about as large of an impact on our country of the more modern presidents.... but even he had Vietnam...

And JFK was only 'OK' IMO.... had vision, but also Bay of Pigs and Vietnam...

Since I was born in 57... don't know much else about the ones before....

What am I trying to say Well, for MOST of my life, we have had CRAP presidents... and the trend does not look like it is changing soon...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:30 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Texas,

I actually agree with you on every point, except one. We haven't had a president worthy of the name since Eisenhower. And Truman before him. They were giants compared to the last 40 odd years.

And by today's standards, Ike would be considered a "liberal"!!!!

Reagan was one of the biggest con jobs of the 20th century. He started the dismantling process that, arguably, has led to the financial meltdown we see today.

Peace.
I can't believe anyone would support Billary or Obama
Old 03-16-2008, 05:28 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

I can't believe anyone would support Billary or Obama

Well as one of the long suffering New Yorkers, I can't think of one thing that Hillary has done for Upstate NY. She went into office 8 years ago promising 200,000 new jobs. Instead we have a net loss of 30,000. The manufacturing segment of the upstate economy has been devistated by her policies. She has done nothing in 8 years except campaign for a job that she isn't even remotely qualified for. As a former town Supervisor, I have more experience with budgeting than she does. As for Obama, anyone who won't say the Pledge of Allegiance or even wear a flag lapel pin can't be trusted to lead the greatest nation on earth. Anyone who went to a church with such a divisive pastor and didn't quit that church also does not deserve to lead the greatest nation on earth. As for Bush I haven't always agreed with him but he has been far better than either of the others. As for McCain, he has my vote.
Allegany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hope we get a Conservative running again, we haven't had one for as long as I can remember.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:58 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
I hope we get a Conservative running again, we haven't had one for as long as I can remember.
Example of a conservative please... so I have a frame of reference. Conservative in what context.

I am very conservative on some issues and a lib on others.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote