Hiring a new accountant and 72t

wallygator69

Recycles dryer sheets
Howdy,

Need a new accountant old one is losing it.

Got a referral from a friend. Accountant didn't now what 72t was off the top of his head. He said "refresh my memory"...."Oh yeah I've done those".

Do I need to look for another one or is it really easy?

Thanks,

Wally

Tell him " you're fired". Look for one who has a 72t expertise.

Doing a 72T is not that hard. Do your homework and do not put all of your trust in one accountant. It is your money and if the 72T gets screwed up, you pay the penalty not the accountant. The is plenty of information on the net regarding 72Ts.

If you have accounts with FIDO or Vanguard they can also give you some guidance.

When I did my 72T I ran the numbers, had a CPA check them and then had FIDO give me a sanity check.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the accountant not knowing what a 72t is would be a disqualifier as it is very much a narrow niche within a CPA's practice.... not a lot of clients do 72ts.

I have an excellent accountant and she had to brush up on an NUA. So, I wouldn't discount the accountant if they have served you well in the past. As many say on this forum, you are your own best advocate when it comes to your money. Educate yourself along with the accountant.

Good point. And I forgot to mention... a good accountant may not know the details relating to a particular circumstance off the top of their head but the good ones can recognize where they need to research an issue and figure it out..... and also when they need to get a consultation from a subject matter expert if there isn't a clear answer.

Back
Top Bottom