Join Early Retirement Today

hiring an advisor
Old 08-22-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

hiring an advisor

How many people use a financial advisor or planner? Do you think there's any benefit to hiring professional help or should I continue to manage my investments myself?

Also, how do I make sure the person I hire is qualified and will have my best interest in mind when making a recommendation?
Eyerishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
Also, how do I make sure the person I hire.....will have my best interest in mind when making a recommendation?
Polygraph machine? LOL
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There was an old polll on this. http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ice-21894.html

Basically only about 3% of the people on this forum paid more than $500 a year to someone. Lots of do-it-yourselfers here.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:00 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Check their resume and references. Speak with a few of their clients if they will let you. Make sure the financial planner really knows about planning and investing, not just selling you their own services. Also, speak with friends to find out who is using financial planners and get recommendations. Don't just pick from the phone book or use family friends who are new to the business.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:55 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I am a DIY guy. Although, my mutual fund company provides a financial plan on the cheap. I will get their opinion as a cross-check since it is part of the service and cheap free.

Should you hire a fin planner or DIY?

My thoughts - If one does not understand how to work it, their best bet is to educate them self. One does not have to be a market wizard to use a good reliable portfolio management/investment approach (think MPT and asset allocation). For planning on retirement expenses, there are tons of books and calculators to help you project your income needs. The same applies to managing the retirement income when you retire. One bit of advice would be to not take inordinate risks and be patient.

IMHO - A financially planner is more likely to just siphon off extra money and lead to lower portfolio growth. Don't get the impression that you are going to get the one or two fin plan wizards that exist. You are more likely to get mediocre or poor. Plus, they will exercise some cookie cutter plan and read the basic advice to you from a cheat sheet.

However, if you are unwilling to educate yourself and do not know how to manage it, professional help is likely to make sense. Just be careful picking the planner.

Good luck.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:59 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use a FA. I started out by paying for an assessment. It cost me $700 for 1 years worth of advice in addition to the initial assessment. Then I went to a 'commission' plan, where I paid by the transaction. He told me the exact cost per transaction. Since I was not going to churn myself and I was 'savy' enough to take or reject his advice as it benefited me, I kept costs to a minimum. The premium for year 2+_ was probably less than $1000 per year average. Our relationship is starting to change and I am not doing a whole lot of buying and selling. I do meet and discuss my portfolio about 3 times a year (3 or so hours per session). We have agreed to pay a fixed fee for yearly advice of $1000.

Why do I want his advice? While I can do research and do analysis by myself, I have found that I want to do this less and less. Also I am not as 'expert' in fixed income assets and he has been very valuable in helping me set that up. I find that he also is a good sounding board (sort of a 2nd opinion) for ideas and plans I consider. With a net worth of over $2M, I think that $1000 (1/2 of 1 percent if my math is correct) is money well spent. I will look at our relationship each year to see if I am still getting value. When I stop receiving value, I will cut the cord.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:31 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
I use a FA. I started out by paying for an assessment. It cost me $700 for 1 years worth of advice in addition to the initial assessment. Then I went to a 'commission' plan, where I paid by the transaction. He told me the exact cost per transaction. Since I was not going to churn myself and I was 'savy' enough to take or reject his advice as it benefited me, I kept costs to a minimum. The premium for year 2+_ was probably less than $1000 per year average. Our relationship is starting to change and I am not doing a whole lot of buying and selling. I do meet and discuss my portfolio about 3 times a year (3 or so hours per session). We have agreed to pay a fixed fee for yearly advice of $1000.

Why do I want his advice? While I can do research and do analysis by myself, I have found that I want to do this less and less. Also I am not as 'expert' in fixed income assets and he has been very valuable in helping me set that up. I find that he also is a good sounding board (sort of a 2nd opinion) for ideas and plans I consider. With a net worth of over $2M, I think that $1000 (1/2 of 1 percent if my math is correct) is money well spent. I will look at our relationship each year to see if I am still getting value. When I stop receiving value, I will cut the cord.
That's actually 1/10th of 1%, which is very low. You are lucky to find a guy willing to do that, but perhaps it is because you don't need a lot of help. Vanguard would charge .50% on $2 million, so you are getting quite a bargain.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyC View Post

Speak with a few of their clients if they will let you.
That always sounds good, but I wonder if it is of any real value.

If their clients are largely clueless about financial matters (like most people are, and one reason you might go to an FA), then what do they base their opinion on?

They might be able to tell you the guy/gal was a jerk, condescending, rude, or that they seemed nice, listened attentively, and dressed sharp - but what could they tell you about their qualifications to manage their money with an approriate risk profile, etc, etc, etc? Very little, I suspect.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

If their clients are largely clueless about financial matters (like most people are, and one reason you might go to an FA), then what do they base their opinion on?

They might be able to tell you the guy/gal was a jerk, condescending, rude, or that they seemed nice, listened attentively, and dressed sharp - but what could they tell you about their qualifications to manage their money with an approriate risk profile, etc, etc, etc? Very little, I suspect.

-ERD50
Not much value, and here's why. He/she will give you the clients that LOVE him the most.........

Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Not much value, and here's why. He/she will give you the clients that LOVE him the most.........
And after his mother, wife and kids, how would be left?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Ask them for a list of the typical funds they recommend in various asset classes. This will tell you a lot. What are there favorites?

Don't let them say no to this - we found our previous advsior picked all great funds, but when we moved to Fidelity, they recommended TERRIBLE funds for about 30%. Stuff no one here would ever buy.
Callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfpelican View Post
And after his mother, wife and kids, how would be left?
Funny.........

Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
Ask them for a list of the typical funds they recommend in various asset classes. This will tell you a lot. What are there favorites?

Don't let them say no to this - we found our previous advisor picked all great funds, but when we moved to Fidelity, they recommended TERRIBLE funds for about 30%. Stuff no one here would ever buy.
Terrible past performance right?

I have the opposite outlook don't trust an advisor that picks all 5 star funds. You can run the same screen they are and pick what has done well lately, in other words chase performance. But you probably won't like the results.
boutros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
That's actually 1/10th of 1%, which is very low. You are lucky to find a guy willing to do that, but perhaps it is because you don't need a lot of help.
hmmmm now you see why I need help .
Yes, in our discussions, he has said that I don't need a lot of hand holding ... he just brings me suggestions on where to park my money for income ... and gives me an overall review once a year to make sure I am still on track. I keep wondering if I need his assistance... and I find that for the price, it gives me a 2nd opinion and helps me sleep at night. ... thanks for confirmation
Old 08-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
Great points. I have friends and relatives that use a particular FA because they like him personally. IMO they sometimes get some questionable advice... but hey the guy is 'really nice'. Interesting way to choose a FA ...
what was that old mo-town song? ... smiling faces ...
Old 08-23-2007, 06:23 PM   #16

Is anybody familiar with Evanson Asset management?

The supposedly will manage any size portfolio ($1M minimum) for a flat fee of $2000/year.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Is anybody familiar with Evanson Asset management?

The supposedly will manage any size portfolio ($1M minimum) for a flat fee of $2000/year.
I am

They are a good firm. You will get access to DFA funds, get asset allocations, and thats it. No handholding to be found.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyerishgold View Post
How many people use a financial advisor or planner? Do you think there's any benefit to hiring professional help or should I continue to manage my investments myself?

Also, how do I make sure the person I hire is qualified and will have my best interest in mind when making a recommendation?
Continue to do it yourself. Continue reading and learning. A "professional" is not interested in your well being but their own.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:06 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

What about fee-only (not fee based) advisors, who are not commissioned and receive no kick-backs? Less than 2% of advisors fall into this category. There is a national organization of fee-based advisors that has a very strict code of ethics. They usually work flat fee or as a percentage of your portfolio (which, if you think about it, makes it in their best interest to give you good advice because they will only increase their income if you do well, not if you trade often or buy commisioned items).

Thoughts about this?
missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionfinder View Post
What about fee-only (not fee based) advisors, who are not commissioned and receive no kick-backs? Less than 2% of advisors fall into this category. There is a national organization of fee-based advisors that has a very strict code of ethics.
See my post above. Essentially my guy (for me) is a fee-only advisor. Yes, he probably gets a coupla bucks from the commission on each transaction (or maybe not, since he now has converted my account to 'electronic' and I buy and sell by myself at lower commissions than before, (with suggestions from him)). Since I do so few each year (buy and hold and 'eat the interest and dividends), that is a rounding error. For other clients I believe he fee based and others he is 'on commission'. I think this guy is smarter than your average bear and is adding to his client list however he can. If you can find someone who does this for a 'reasonable' fee, then I would go with him. But you have to do your homework and be knowledgeable enough to know if he is 'good' or just a good salesman. Keep reading stuff on this board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionfinder View Post
They usually work flat fee or as a percentage of your portfolio (which, if you think about it, makes it in their best interest to give you good advice because they will only increase their income if you do well, not if you trade often or buy commisioned items).
I am not sure that they look further than the meal set in front of them .