Join Early Retirement Today

Historical view of cash versus ST bonds
Old 04-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Historical view of cash versus ST bonds

Recently we had some discussions of putting short term money in cash or short term bonds. Here is a 20 year chart for cash (red), ST investment grade (blue), and ST index (green). The corresponding Vanguard symbols are: VMMXX (Prime Money Market), VFSUX, VBIRX.

Hopefully this chart will help with the decision of which to choose and when.

The data for VBIRX starts in 1997, hence the (false) negative glitch.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #2

Great chart, very informative, thanks for posting it.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thank you - very interesting. Surprising to see how closely vfsux tracks the index until the mayhem of 08-09.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

But a big piece of the cushion is not present today. In years past, it was hard to lose money on 3 year paper because just about any conceivable interest rate change would be offset by the coupons on the bonds. With bond rates where they are today, I don't think we can say that today.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
But a big piece of the cushion is not present today. In years past, it was hard to lose money on 3 year paper because just about any conceivable interest rate change would be offset by the coupons on the bonds. With bond rates where they are today, I don't think we can say that today.
So what could we say today? Obviously rates can't go negative so, if short term rates go from say ~1-2% today to a more "normal" 4-5% what impact would that have on the NAV of these short term funds? And how long would it take for the higher return to overpower the drop in NAV? (I know I'm asking for too much but as long as I'm asking...)
Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In fact, with coupons of just 50bp, 3 year bonds are pretty close to zeros and have durations to match . . . about 3 years. It's hard to see a scenario where the U.S. reclaims a normal economic environment without 3-year bonds suffering multiple years of negative returns.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
So what could we say today? Obviously rates can't go negative so, if short term rates go from say ~1-2% today to a more "normal" 4-5% what impact would that have on the NAV of these short term funds? And how long would it take for the higher return to overpower the drop in NAV? (I know I'm asking for too much but as long as I'm asking...)
Multiply the change in rates by the maturity of the bonds and that will give you a rough approximation of the loss. So if the bonds have an average maturity of 3 years and rates spike 4%, you have a 12% loss. This would be offset by the roughly 1% yield.

- Will Rogers
Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Multiply the change in rates by the maturity of the bonds and that will give you a rough approximation of the loss. So if the bonds have an average maturity of 3 years and rates spike 4%, you have a 12% loss. This would be offset by the roughly 1% yield.
Thank you brewer12345 . So, if ST rates go from 1% to 5% for a delta of 4% and the maturity is 3 years then NAV would go down by 12%. Then it would take 2.4 years at the new 5% rate to make up for the NAV loss. Is this correct?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you brewer12345 . So, if ST rates go from 1% to 5% for a delta of 4% and the maturity is 3 years then NAV would go down by 12%. Then it would take 2.4 years at the new 5% rate to make up for the NAV loss. Is this correct?
Very roughly, yes. Things get a lot more complicated depending on the exact nature of the fixed income securities in the fund and how the fund is managed.

- Will Rogers
Old 04-04-2012, 05:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Roughly 2.4 years plus inflation and taxes.