Hobbies

Right now, my "free" time is spent:
Learning about investing and early retirement.
Cooking meals for our family (we rarely eat out but we do eat adventurously at home)
Reading
Exercising our dog.
Honing my home organization skills and talents (sort of a hobby, that's how I get through a day of housework without losing my mind).
Photography (with my point-n-shoot).

Once the kids are in school (three and a half years from now, provided we don't decide to have another one), my hobbies will be:
Reading
Gardening
Cooking
Hiking with the dog
Photography with my film SLR and possibly a digital SLR
A craft. I'd like to learn how to weave.
Writing.

Once we retire, I suspect my hobbies will be:
Reading
Gardening/farming (on the homestead!)
Photography (I want my own darkroom back -- right now it's packed away)
Regional travel (I like multi-week exploratory vacations best)
Learning new skills. Right now I'm interested in learning to weave, but I also want to learn how to build dry-stack stone walls.

In addition to the hobbies that I listed above, I'm interested in a few (several?) other things too, but not really passionate enough about them to call them hobbies....at least not right now. Those things include fishing (more or less just drowning defenseless little worms), reading, and woodworking.

Well, probably better to say carpentry instead of woodworking, because I usually build stuff more for utilitarian purposes rather than for beauty or as works of art....workbenches, computer desks, shelving units, cabinets, planters, storage units, etc. You folks that do woodworking amaze me with your talent.....everything looks so nice!!! I admire you!!! Someday I might find time to try my hand at true woodworking.....I mean, shoot, I've got a nearly complete wood shop. Still looking for a new planer/jointer, but not quite ready to part with the green-backs yet.

There's a local shop here that specializes in wood & metal working equipment, that usually has some very good prices on new and used equipment.....I check 'em out occasionally, and have bought a few things there, The last thing I bought was a behemoth of a bandsaw.....an oldie but goodie with a heavy cast iron frame, new motor, new bearings, etc. It took 4 of us to get it off the back of the truck. Anyway, the planer/jointer is still on hold. :rolleyes:

Some really impressive woodworking! That cradle just blows me away!

Audrey

For a long time I was active in radio control model airplanes, was on the BOD and president for a year of DC/RC, one of the oldest R/C clubs in the country, but for whatever reason lost interest in it shortly before retirement. Next hobby is going to be motorcycles, I'm saving for a Suzuki C50T, an 800cc touring bike.

Here's one of the last planes I built:

Attachments

• bluehawk.jpg
    bluehawk.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 5
I fish way too much. Or, I did before I moved to Wisconsin. Haven't had an opportunity yet up here, but I'll get around to it. I'm a southern boy, so I'll have to figure out how to talk to these yankee fish, I guess. I used to play guitar a lot, but I kind of slacked off on that and sold my guitar on Craigslist just before we moved to WI a couple months back.

Want2retire, I too am impressed by the examples shown (and have no talent).

I am into gardening, cooking, reading.

Don't know if feeding and photographing squirrels is a hobby; maybe I'll upgrade hardware in the future.

To me, anything you do that creates pleasure is artistic, because you will see/do/feel in your own way.

Other than walking, my only surviving hobby is dancing.

Yesterday I went to a workshop by this Argentine couple

YouTube - Leonardo Barrionuevo & Miriam Larici

This is considerably more dramatic than what they taught us. (Or than what we would have been capable of learning!)

Ha

Goonie , I am soo impressed with your trains . My late husband used to build circus trains so I know the work involved . I'm also impressed with all the talent on this board . My only hobbies are cooking and reading .

Other than walking, my only surviving hobby is dancing.

Yesterday I went to a workshop by this Argentine couple

YouTube - Leonardo Barrionuevo & Miriam Larici

This is considerably more dramatic than what they taught us. (Or than what we would have been capable of learning!)

Ha

That indeed was beautiful. I said "Wow" 3 or 4 times while watching it. So elegant!

As Ha knows, I also love to dance - but I'm more into fitness dance. I love it!

Ginger Rogers could do everything Fred Astaire could do, only backwards, and in high heels...

I'm a musical dilettante. Every time I get halfway decent on an instrument I jump to a different one. Probably got 8 or 9 different instruments in the house right now, and that's after selling all my guitars.

Woodcarving. I've learned the first rule - if it bleeds, don't cut it. Artistically I'm still a baby.

Hiking and walking. I really love doing these. This winter I'm going to get back into swimming (indoor pool) since the 30-40 mph winds take the pleasure out of walking outside.

I've got a huge bucket list (learn languages, travel, etc), but nowhere near the time to start them yet.

The main reason that I want to retire is that I have way to many hobbies. Some of my most active at the present time:

1) Target shooting. I like shooting old, iron sighted battle rifles
2) Kayaking
3) Backpacking
4) Motorcycle riding, mainly off-road
5) Software development - One of my Open Source creations is currently used by 150 companies
6) Reading
7) Travel
9) Auto and motorcycle mechanics. I do all of my own motorcycle maintenance but do not have time for the cars anymore.
10) Alpine mountaineering
11) Basketball. I am getting a little old for this, however.
12) Working. I like my job for the most part as I am self-employed in a stable job practice
13) Most of all, I also like to build things; out of wood, metal, cloth, plastic, you name it, I have used it. I have a great wood and metal shop, containing everything from a hand plane to a MIG welder. Here are some of my wood creations:

PB190108.JPG
Shaker Table (also the shaker bed in the background)
P9280069.JPG
8" f/6 Dobsonian Telescope - I built everything but the mirrors and focuser, both of which I will do myself next time. I also built a matching adjustable observing chair. Oh, I (and the wife) also built the 1200 SF elevated deck the telescope is sitting on and the play structure you can barely see behind the balusters.

Am I the only one who likes/restores old cars?

You wood-workers and model railroaders have posted great pictures, I salute you. I like all hobbies that involve working with your hands. Just wish my cars were as good as some of your pics.

Am I the only one who likes/restores old cars?

Kumquat,

We have very similar interest if I rear your avatar correctly - 60s British sports cars. I have restored a TR-3A, TR4A-IRS and a TR-6. I would love to restore a TR-250 when I gain more space after I retire.

Bingo, that's my first.

Edit to add: AH (Yes), TR (Yes), Rootes (Yes), MG (gimmee a break)

60's British sports cars, You Bet

Oh yes, the Sunbeam Alpine Tiger. Drool. Thank you Chrysler:rant:.

However, don't forget the Austin-Healey.

Oh yes, the Sunbeam Alpine Tiger. Drool.

I have 2 Sunbeam Alpines, no Tigers. There is no such thing as a 'Sunbeam Alpine Tiger'. But, like you I do drool over a Sunbeam Tiger. With a bit of luck, we can both get one & compare.

Edit top add:

Avatar car is a SIII Hillman Minx.

I hope the Chrysler comment was sarcastic, Chrysler killed the Tiger (due to Ford engine), the only profitable car Rootes produced. Funny world.

I hope the Chrysler comment was sarcastic, Chrysler killed the Tiger (due to Ford engine), the only profitable car Rootes produced. Funny world.

Correct. Very sarcastic. Why would you purchase a car that you cannot build? Maybe this decision gives some insight into where Chrysler is today.

I always thought it was an "Alpine Tiger," but I see you are correct.

TOYS!!!

I've got some friends with similar interests and we tinker and play with our toys mostly...

Attachments

• Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 4
  • MVC-012F.JPG
    MVC-012F.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Photo_041608_001.jpg
    Photo_041608_001.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 17_12.jpg
    17_12.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 4
  • GUns 12.jpg
    GUns 12.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 5
Why on earth would you give that up? Sailing is such a thrill. Maybe other things more compelling to do?

Audrey
As much as I love sailing, it's just way too expensive. An indulgence I permit myself while I am still working. I can crew on other people's boats, charter, etc. in retirement. But I do have other hobbies (reading, internet, woodworking, dogs, biking, weightlifting, cooking, foodie adventures, iPod/music, etc.) and I look forward to exploring my (Zelinski) Get-A-Life Tree in the years ahead.

Glad you appreciate sailing too...

Back
Top Bottom