Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for this thread, some of it sounds like w*rk. Reminds me that Saturday is plant watering day and I'm overdue to pot up some kitty grass and an amaryllis. Could be a good day to make zucchini bread.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Thanks for this thread, some of it sounds like w*rk. Reminds me that Saturday is plant watering day and I'm overdue to pot up some kitty grass and an amaryllis. Could be a good day to make zucchini bread.
This is about my level of action too.

Almost everyday I give thinks that there are very few things that I have the means to do. And nothing that is in any way to do with accomplishing tasks that produce a product. So I don't need to feel guilty about not doing any of it.

Even reading a book takes me a long time!

Ha
Old 11-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the info Davemartin88. I'm willing to do as much work as I can to reduce the cost. I would be willing to have the miller slice big 1" thick slabs, and I would do the rest of the cutting to size. Can't stop this frugality thing, ya know!

I have a ton of time on my hands, and could either spend it watching TV, or doing something I enjoy. Nothing like getting in the shop and making something.

Thanks for the website HFWR. Very useful for estimating lumber!

Well, got to get back to the shop and work on my broken truck. I love having a stuff to work on!
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is about my level of action too.

Almost everyday I give thinks that there are very few things that I have the means to do. And nothing that is in any way to do with accomplishing tasks that produce a product. So I don't need to feel guilty about not doing any of it.

Even reading a book takes me a long time!

Ha
Yeah, when I first read this forum, there were many posts on doing nothing, shouldn't have to justify that. I could give you a resume of stuff that's been keeping me busy since retiring 10 weeks ago (taking a class, just completed an exhausting week in jury selection [my number didn't come up, phew!], reading, walking, touring other neighborhoods, short trip, making the rounds to museums and concerts, etc.) but we shouldn't need to do that.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
Thanks for the info Davemartin88. I'm willing to do as much work as I can to reduce the cost. I would be willing to have the miller slice big 1" thick slabs, and I would do the rest of the cutting to size. Can't stop this frugality thing, ya know!

I have a ton of time on my hands, and could either spend it watching TV, or doing something I enjoy. Nothing like getting in the shop and making something.

Thanks for the website HFWR. Very useful for estimating lumber!

Well, got to get back to the shop and work on my broken truck. I love having a stuff to work on!
Good luck with the truck.

I cut the siding for an equipment barn out of poplar, used a router in a table to cut a notch to allow each board to overlap the next one- came out fine, about 3/4" thick and used it before it was fully air dried but since it was a barn, both sides were exposed so it dried in place without a problem. PM me if you have a specific question and I'll try to help- I believe most siding has been kiln dried as HFWR mentioned but if you let it air dry long enough with good air circulation, you should be fine.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweaver View Post
Martial arts!

Helps me stay in shape and save damsels in distress.
HELP
HELP ME PLEEEEEEEZZZZZ
that mean ol' dragon is barbecuing the castle...
and the troll under the bridge is eating my knights...
and the wicked witch is casting spells on the serfs...
OH
HEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPP