Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2009, 01:47 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammieD View Post
My husband does on occasion still make and sell custom made wood items. I'm trying to get him to make birdhouses so I can paint and sell them. So far its a no go. I may just have to learn how to use his tools and make them myself.
AC Moore sells lots of wooden items like that that are ready to paint, like birdhouses, boxes, trays, picture frames and lots of other things. They may sell that stuff from their website as well, I don't know.

This is an interesting thread - I've been thinking about just these ideas. I started painting again, after a 20 year absence, and have been thinking about trying to go to art fairs and sell them.

I'm also interested in trying to sell baked goods and stuff like that. I've been looking around and it seems really complicated, that is, getting involved with state licensing and permits and having to have a commercial kitchen. I saw some frozen ravioli in a local store with no nutritional info on it. I don't know how some food manufacturers must have that nutritional info on it and some don't.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #42
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
AC Moore sells lots of wooden items like that that are ready to paint, like birdhouses, boxes, trays, picture frames and lots of other things. They may sell that stuff from their website as well, I don't know.

This is an interesting thread - I've been thinking about just these ideas. I started painting again, after a 20 year absence, and have been thinking about trying to go to art fairs and sell them.

I'm also interested in trying to sell baked goods and stuff like that. I've been looking around and it seems really complicated, that is, getting involved with state licensing and permits and having to have a commercial kitchen. I saw some frozen ravioli in a local store with no nutritional info on it. I don't know how some food manufacturers must have that nutritional info on it and some don't.
Thanks Sparky. I'll check into that. It never occurred to me that I might be able to find some wood products like that online. I suppose even someone in my area might be wanting to make a little extra making wood items that I could paint and sell.

I'm not sure how a hobby business works as far as selling baked goods. At the Saturday market where I live people do set up tables to sell their cakes, cookies, etc. Maybe I can ask some people that have those tables what requirements they have to meet to sell baked goods. That is a good idea, even if Saturday market is in the somewhat limited time of spring to fall. (At least where I live.) I'll let you know if I find out anything.

I wish you success in selling your artwork, if you decide to give it a try. We have a small shop in town that displays and sells work from local artists. Maybe there's one close to where you live too.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks Sparky. I'll check into that. It never occurred to me that I might be able to find some wood products like that online. I suppose even someone in my area might be wanting to make a little extra making wood items that I could paint and sell.

I'm not sure how a hobby business works as far as selling baked goods. At the Saturday market where I live people do set up tables to sell their cakes, cookies, etc. Maybe I can ask some people that have those tables what requirements they have to meet to sell baked goods. That is a good idea, even if Saturday market is in the somewhat limited time of spring to fall. (At least where I live.) I'll let you know if I find out anything.

I wish you success in selling your artwork, if you decide to give it a try. We have a small shop in town that displays and sells work from local artists. Maybe there's one close to where you live too.
Thank you very much. I've been feeling a bit alone in the wilderness trying to figure this stuff out. I'm trying to convince DH to work on his photography and just sell stuff, but, honestly, I'm really not sure how. I lost all my bank dividends and am trying to figure out how to replace that. I've lowered my expenses by a lot, and could use more income.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, I'm finally back. I've been pretty sick. I ended up in the hospital with a fever of 103.5 from a bad infection.

Sparky, I checked into selling homemade food to at Saturday markets. Unfortunately, there are a lot of regulations involved. You can't sell them unless you have your kitchen certified by the state. At least that's the way it is in Oregon.

It did get me thinking though. If you buy baked goods at Costco, you could maybe sell packaged goods, like crackers etc. as snacks.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Grammie, aw, I hope you are feeling better. I'm in Connecticut and the regulations for selling baked goods are very stringent. Thanks for your research. I'm not sure what we are going to do... maybe we'll be okay. It's too early to tell...
Old 09-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...I'm in Connecticut and the regulations for selling baked goods are very stringent...
Quote:
Sparky, I checked into selling homemade food to at Saturday markets. Unfortunately, there are a lot of regulations involved. You can't sell them unless you have your kitchen certified by the state. At least that's the way it is in Oregon.
Once upon a time, I had a small home business selling raw popcorn (not microwave) in mason jars and spice blends in small glass jars. I was essentially repackaging bulk food items that had already been inspected and carried the stamp.
I had to register with the NYS Dept of Agriculture and Markets and submit to a mandatory home inspection. I had to demonstrate that I knew and used proper sanitizing techniques and kept ingredients stored properly, gloves, hairnets, no rodents, etc. I passed with flying colors.
I was not handling dairy, eggs, meat or fresh produce, which all are prohibited for home food production. Residence of ANY animals in the house is an automatic failure. My fish tank was barely OK in the inspector's eyes.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I've found that crafts and handmade items generally don't fetch very good prices on eBay or CraigsList. These just don't seem to be the right avenue for selling craft items. However, you might want to consider etsy (www.etsy.com). I have a small etsy shop and sell an occasional handmade item or excess craft supplies. Sales are fairly slow for me, but at least items will go for fair prices.
I have thought about starting up an etsy shop for my jewelry, but from talking to others it sounds like sales are very slow and they do better selling locally, like through consignment or word of mouth. So many people make craft items that it is tough. But given that etsy isn't exactly an expensive way to advertise your stuff, I may very well do it anyway.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I never heard of etsy but now that I have it bookmarked it's going to be a favorite source of gifts .
Old 09-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yeah, there are a lot of rules.

At work, one of the staff's mother made bread and it was fine bread. She would make money by taking orders in our office. She is still doing it last I heard. No one cared about whether she dotted the i's and crossed the t's.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi Everybody,

Just in case any of you are interested in growing veggies for yourselves or to sell, but don't have an area for a garden, here is a website you might want to check out.

Container Gardening Guide

Martha, I like the idea from the staff member's mother about baking bread to sell to the staff at work. I might look into doing that too.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have thought about starting up an etsy shop for my jewelry, but from talking to others it sounds like sales are very slow and they do better selling locally, like through consignment or word of mouth. So many people make craft items that it is tough. But given that etsy isn't exactly an expensive way to advertise your stuff, I may very well do it anyway.
I've had an etsy shop for over a year and sales are *very* slow. I do a little better selling supplies than handmade craft items, but still find it to be a tough venue for selling. It's fine if you just want to liquidate some stuff and don't care how long it takes, but if you are making items with the intention of selling I'd look for other avenues first (although it is not a bad idea to keep an etsy shop and stock with whatever didn't sell at your shows, etc.) If you think you may start an etsy shop, feel free to PM me and I'll give you a few tips I've picked up along the way.

FWIW, I have a friend who made jewelry for a while and did very well selling at home parties.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I've had an etsy shop for over a year and sales are *very* slow.

I always try to buy handmade gifts especially jewelry and I never heard of etsy until it was mentioned in this thread so it definitely does not have enough exposure . I'd try selling a few things on ebay and then directing them to your other items . One of my favorite jewelry sellers makes bracelets and earrings from old watches . They are to remind you to slow down and enjoy life .
Old 09-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I never heard of etsy until it was mentioned in this thread so it definitely does not have enough exposure . I'd try selling a few things on ebay and then directing them to your other items .
This is a good point and leads into one small bit of advice I'd give anyone who wants to start an etsy shop - you really have to market it yourself. That could mean linking to your shop from a blog (if you have one), handing out business cards with your etsy address at a crafts show, or pointing people to your etsy shop from other venues like eBay. With thousands and thousands of handmade items on etsy, it's hard for your items to stand out unless you do something to market them yourself, IMO.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi Everybody,

Just in case any of you are interested in growing veggies for yourselves or to sell, but don't have an area for a garden, here is a website you might want to check out.

Container Gardening Guide

Martha, I like the idea from the staff member's mother about baking bread to sell to the staff at work. I might look into doing that too.
TY for that link. The picture of the Wardian Case inspired me...
I just found a use for a 10 gallon fish tank I had hanging around. I have leftover 2009 lettuce seeds, a big bag of marbles and polished glass stones, some pelletized fertilizer, and a green thumb.
I'm going to try growing lettuce hydroponically, and add a light layer of compost over the stones later if they need more root support.
Lettuce garden is all planted and sitting in a south facing window. Cover is plain old plastic wrap with narrow side vents along the edges.
I've grown herbs and lettuce indoors in soil under grow lights before, so I'm with the program on that.