Hobby Income

I have thought about starting up an etsy shop for my jewelry, but from talking to others it sounds like sales are very slow and they do better selling locally, like through consignment or word of mouth. So many people make craft items that it is tough. But given that etsy isn't exactly an expensive way to advertise your stuff, I may very well do it anyway.

I've had an etsy shop for over a year and sales are *very* slow. I do a little better selling supplies than handmade craft items, but still find it to be a tough venue for selling. It's fine if you just want to liquidate some stuff and don't care how long it takes, but if you are making items with the intention of selling I'd look for other avenues first (although it is not a bad idea to keep an etsy shop and stock with whatever didn't sell at your shows, etc.) If you think you may start an etsy shop, feel free to PM me and I'll give you a few tips I've picked up along the way.

FWIW, I have a friend who made jewelry for a while and did very well selling at home parties.

I've had an etsy shop for over a year and sales are *very* slow.

I always try to buy handmade gifts especially jewelry and I never heard of etsy until it was mentioned in this thread so it definitely does not have enough exposure . I'd try selling a few things on ebay and then directing them to your other items . One of my favorite jewelry sellers makes bracelets and earrings from old watches . They are to remind you to slow down and enjoy life .

I never heard of etsy until it was mentioned in this thread so it definitely does not have enough exposure . I'd try selling a few things on ebay and then directing them to your other items .

This is a good point and leads into one small bit of advice I'd give anyone who wants to start an etsy shop - you really have to market it yourself. That could mean linking to your shop from a blog (if you have one), handing out business cards with your etsy address at a crafts show, or pointing people to your etsy shop from other venues like eBay. With thousands and thousands of handmade items on etsy, it's hard for your items to stand out unless you do something to market them yourself, IMO.

Hi Everybody,

Just in case any of you are interested in growing veggies for yourselves or to sell, but don't have an area for a garden, here is a website you might want to check out.

Container Gardening Guide

Martha, I like the idea from the staff member's mother about baking bread to sell to the staff at work. I might look into doing that too.
TY for that link. :D The picture of the Wardian Case inspired me...
I just found a use for a 10 gallon fish tank I had hanging around. I have leftover 2009 lettuce seeds, a big bag of marbles and polished glass stones, some pelletized fertilizer, and a green thumb. :flowers:
I'm going to try growing lettuce hydroponically, and add a light layer of compost over the stones later if they need more root support.
Lettuce garden is all planted and sitting in a south facing window. Cover is plain old plastic wrap with narrow side vents along the edges.
I've grown herbs and lettuce indoors in soil under grow lights before, so I'm with the program on that.

Back
Top Bottom