Join Early Retirement Today

Hoco-mania in Wikipedia
Old 03-17-2005, 06:35 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hoco-mania in Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hocomania

intercst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hoco-mania in Wikipedia
Old 03-17-2005, 06:52 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As an old X-Files watcher - I wonder ?

Do you(Intercst, *****, Raddr et al) meet secretly several times a year and brainstorm up soap opera plots to keep forum traffic juiced up!

The truth is out there.

Heh, heh, heh, heh!

Old 03-17-2005, 07:20 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

You're always thinking that he can't sink any lower. But he always manages to come up with something.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
You're always thinking that he can't sink any lower. But he always manages to come up with something.
I think you mean "you're always thinking" not "we're always thinking". Speak for yourself.

MJ
Old 03-17-2005, 12:37 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's not deleted yet; it's just marked for deletion and being voted upon. The definition is still there, but here's a link to the original page before it was marked for deletion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...oldid=11211821
Quote:
An early retirement plan that features quitting a high-paying job before you've saved enough money to be financially-independent only to accept sub-minimum wage work to make ends meet and feed your family.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:39 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

You could have just posted a photo of buster the crash dummy strapped into his rocket motor chair. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:31 AM   #7

I put forward an argument in favor of "Cleanup" re the definition of "hocomania" being debated at the Wikipedia site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...tion/Hocomania
Old 03-18-2005, 05:35 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm

Has hocomania been registered as a trademark yet.

Heh, heh, heh - I am left handed.

Didn't work out well for 'fiberglass' but you never know!
Old 03-18-2005, 05:51 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I liked this analysis of Hoco-mania by Damicatz on Wikipedia. He really gets Hoco-mania

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...tion/Hocomania

Is this even referring to something real? Damicatz 15:32, 17 Mar 2005 (UTC)

Delete - only google hit is a messageboard promotion for a book by '*****', who seems to have retired early...SeventyThree 15:47, 17 Mar 2005 (UTC)

--Background info from one observer's point of view: Hocomania was coined by message board posters at various early retirement discussion boards. A user named "*****" or "hocus2004" who has been a participant in these communities for years has been railing since 2002 about an alternative plan for withdrawing funds during early retirement. He has one or two books written, but as far as I know not published except perhaps one by a vanity publisher. Forums linked from http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/ refer to hocomania, and the one that requires registration to view now has a forum dedicated to hocomania. ***** describes his involvement in an early retirement "movement" and his alternate plan in grandiose and verbose fashion, accuses those who argue the merits of his plan of trying to silence him. Some accuse him of creating alternate message board IDs to bring up the subject and/or support his ideas. The term is well understood across at least 4 message boards including the two linked in the above reference, The Motley Fool ( http://fool.com ) Retire Early Home Page board (paid registration required) and at http://nofeeboards.com where ***** runs and moderates the "SWR Research Group" discussion. The term may be known a little beyond that in the online early retirement discussion community, but I'm not sure. ***** is quite persistent, and his detractors have become very amusing in their attempts to deal with his presence. I'm not sure Hocomania is worthy of a Wikipedia entry, but it is a real term in an online community of unknown but growing size. Additional note: the given definition is not an objective description but more of a jab at *****' life events.

</snip>

intercst

Old 03-18-2005, 05:54 AM   #10

I didn't agree with every word in that description. But I thought that fellow did a not-bad job. It was my reading of his entry that prompted me to put forward my own argument for retaining the term "hocomania" but changing the description to something more balanced and accurate.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:26 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I can do it with one word.

Troll.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote