Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I hope it gets easier for me during my last work months. I have 1 year 3 days to go and it seems to be getting harder to go to work. I have to ignore this little voice that keeps telling me to heck with the extra money and just submit the retirement paperwork now.
Put it in a different perspective:
Only 26 more paydays if you get paid biweekly.
Or only 261 workdays minus holidays, vacation days and sick days.

So easy you could do that standing on you head.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not a fan of weekends. I can't wait for Mondays, when everyone finally gets out of my way and goes back to work so I can have my town back and get my shopping done, and not have to share the pool with a bunch of screaming kids while I'm trying to swim.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 09-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
If it makes you feel any better: For those of you still working, remember that glorious relief and anticipation you were feeling friday afternoon? - now you get the flip side.

Those retired - we don't have the low you feel now, but we didn't get that high you felt on friday either.

Yeah, I know you'd still trade places!
Well, although Fridays were nice when I was w*rking, they still don't compare to the joy of Mondays (or for this week, Tuesday).

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:09 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm in France. No Labor Day weekend here - not that it matters!
Old 09-06-2016, 05:06 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
If it makes you feel any better: For those of you still working, remember that glorious relief and anticipation you were feeling friday afternoon? - now you get the flip side.

Those retired - we don't have the low you feel now, but we didn't get that high you felt on friday either.
Oh, but we do! Friday is the day we open a new bottle of wine, which we get to enjoy over the weekend. Once it's gone, we wait until the following Friday to open the next. (Our own booze-control if you will.)

It's also still payday - we go to the ATM on Fridays and pull out our weekly mad money amounts, i.e. the money we each get to spend however we wish, no questions asked.

So we still like Fridays in FIRE!
Old 09-06-2016, 05:32 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Sunday night phenomenon (Monday night for this week) is really strange to me. I don't think I consiously dread going for to work but I frequently have very restless sleep with active and stressful dreaming Sunday nights.

Last night was no exception; I went to bed at 10pm and set my alarm for 5:30 (although I don't need an alarm). Hit the snooze twice, which I don't need to do the rest of the week. I'm awake but will feel exhausted all day today. Last night I dreamed that I could't figure out my college class schedule and where I was supposed to go for my next class. I can't believe I still have those after 25 years! Also dreamed I was in a meeting at work, badmouthing the guy who can't ever seem to get it together... realizing the guy was sitting right next to me. Oops. That one actually make a little more sense. He really does make work very difficult for many of us and eventually some things will have to change.

DW and I talk about retirement frequently on Sundays and how nice it will be to not have to work on Mondays anymore. I'll probably continue to have that stupid dream about forgetting my class schedule no matter what! At least I think I'm done with the one where you show up for school or work in your underwear.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #27

I switched to working part-time in 2001 after 16 years of full-time work. I can hardly remember what it was like to work full-time. But I have a slightly different take on returning to work after a holiday weekend in my 7 part-time years. Because Tuesday was almost always my day (or my first of a few days) to work in a given week, it felt a little worse to return to work on a week where Tuesday was the first workday. On those weeks, Tuesday felt like a Monday because the Monday holiday felt like a Sunday. I "lost" that Monday buffer with the holiday.

But I have been ERed for 8 years now so every day is a buffer LOL!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

Yes, it is very difficult to go back to work after any weekend, or in my case an extra long weekend as I maximized it and took Friday and Tuesday off as well. I have a little spreadsheet "app" that ticks off the days left before I no longer have to go to work. It is the first thing I will check when I go back to the office tomorrow!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum