Join Early Retirement Today

Holiday weekends make going back to work even harder.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Holiday weekends make going back to work even harder.

I'm really enjoying my 3 day weekend as always, but it sure makes going back to work rough. As I get closer to FIRE, I get more anxious, I'm ready...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDay View Post
I'm really enjoying my 3 day weekend as always, but it sure makes going back to work rough. As I get closer to FIRE, I get more anxious, I'm ready...
+1

Old 09-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I pretend I'm retired every weekend. 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-04-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah me too, lol. Then back to work I go....
Old 09-04-2016, 04:08 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At the end of our 3.5 week vacation through Tennessee, Kentucky, Michigan, Toronto, and Niagara Falls, I asked my DW (who retired in the past 6 months) if she is sad that the vacation was coming to a close. "Nope. I'm not dreading going back to work so I'm okay knowing I'll be going back home and able to relax."

It's also nice to know that we can keep up the long term summer vacations indefinitely since we have $ in the budget for it.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:22 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's a weekend? I hadn't noticed.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
It's a weekend? I hadn't noticed.
+1

The only thing I hate about long weekends is the crowds on Monday, and that banks are closed.

Truly, I bought a watch that show the day of the week, so I'd know.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I like the 7 day long weekends. Yeah, going back to work after any weekend used to suck.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:37 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
At the end of our 3.5 week vacation through Tennessee, Kentucky, Michigan, Toronto, and Niagara Falls, I asked my DW (who retired in the past 6 months) if she is sad that the vacation was coming to a close. "Nope. I'm not dreading going back to work so I'm okay knowing I'll be going back home and able to relax."

It's also nice to know that we can keep up the long term summer vacations indefinitely since we have $ in the budget for it.

That is true for me and maybe worse... I dont think vacations are even as enjoyable as when I worked.... And I certainly dont dread the fact a vacation is ending... I like being home a lot now retired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Long holiday weekends are the one time DW and I never travel. Too many working families clogging up the roads. We'll head back out on Monday/Tuesday for more of that blissfully uncrowded ER camping.

It's an odd reversal: When working, long weekends were anticipated as a brief bit of freedom. Now they are the brief intervals when we feel trapped at home (though we compensate with long bike rides and backyard BBQs).
Old 09-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

The absolute worst for me is Memorial Day

I think because it is the first taste of summer and the weather was finally getting good, and then having to go back to work on Tuesday . It is a little easier now because I think to myself not too many more of these to face . I remember awhile back someone asking me what I was doing this summer. I was momentarily speechless and finally said I am working. He clarified and said he meant did I have any vacation or anything planned. The sad thing is that even if I did what is a week or two over the whole summer? Right now summer = work just like any other season. Do wonder once I FIRE when vacation trips come to an end how much I will mind when I in essence will still be on leisure time anyway.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup, anxiety-free Sunday nights are great. It's especially hard going back after a long weekend since I've reached my minimum for FI and the financial need to work has diminished greatly.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:12 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1.
I went to FedEx yesterday (Sunday) to drop off a package, and asked what time it would be picked up Monday. The lady said, Tuesday.....Monday is a holiday.
OOOOps!
Old 09-05-2016, 04:27 AM   #14

Quote:
I pretend I'm retired every weekend. 😜
I'm doing this now too. I find regular Mondays are getting easier now that I only have 7 months left.

Quote:
Long holiday weekends are the one time DW and I never travel. Too many working families clogging up the roads.
We always avoid holiday weekends also due to the crowds and traffic.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:22 AM   #15

Thanks for the reminder to put out the flag, like we always do in the summer holidays and on flag day😃. It's amazing how quickly I am getting accustomed to no work stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-05-2016, 05:52 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDay View Post

Same here. I'm moderately looking forward to this work week because it's short and I start my longest vacation of the year next weekend, but getting back from that will be especially rough.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Jealous of you guys and gals who are already FIRE, lol, seriously I'm proud for you. This weekend is like all the others, I enjoyed it tremendously, but I'm very sad to have to go to work tomorrow. My thoughts of leaving the workplace seem to be all I think of...
Old 09-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I'm doing this now too. I find regular Mondays are getting easier now that I only have 7 months left.
I hope it gets easier for me during my last work months. I have 1 year 3 days to go and it seems to be getting harder to go to work. I have to ignore this little voice that keeps telling me to heck with the extra money and just submit the retirement paperwork now.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #19

Becoming Financially Independent took much of the edge off of going back to w*rk after the weekend. I sort of looked at it as "getting it over with" in terms of time left to serve prior to ER. I found that it wasn't the w*rk I detested, it was the lack of freedom. Once FI, I felt much more free - as in "I can now quit whenever I want to." That was very liberating. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

If it makes you feel any better: For those of you still working, remember that glorious relief and anticipation you were feeling friday afternoon? - now you get the flip side.

Those retired - we don't have the low you feel now, but we didn't get that high you felt on friday either.

Yeah, I know you'd still trade places!