Holiday weekends make going back to work even harder.

OneDay

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm really enjoying my 3 day weekend as always, but it sure makes going back to work rough. As I get closer to FIRE, I get more anxious, I'm ready...

I pretend I'm retired every weekend. 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

At the end of our 3.5 week vacation through Tennessee, Kentucky, Michigan, Toronto, and Niagara Falls, I asked my DW (who retired in the past 6 months) if she is sad that the vacation was coming to a close. "Nope. I'm not dreading going back to work so I'm okay knowing I'll be going back home and able to relax."

It's also nice to know that we can keep up the long term summer vacations indefinitely since we have $ in the budget for it. :D

I like the 7 day long weekends. Yeah, going back to work after any weekend used to suck.

At the end of our 3.5 week vacation through Tennessee, Kentucky, Michigan, Toronto, and Niagara Falls, I asked my DW (who retired in the past 6 months) if she is sad that the vacation was coming to a close. "Nope. I'm not dreading going back to work so I'm okay knowing I'll be going back home and able to relax."

It's also nice to know that we can keep up the long term summer vacations indefinitely since we have $ in the budget for it. :D

That is true for me and maybe worse... I dont think vacations are even as enjoyable as when I worked.... And I certainly dont dread the fact a vacation is ending... I like being home a lot now retired.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Long holiday weekends are the one time DW and I never travel. Too many working families clogging up the roads. We'll head back out on Monday/Tuesday for more of that blissfully uncrowded ER camping.

It's an odd reversal: When working, long weekends were anticipated as a brief bit of freedom. Now they are the brief intervals when we feel trapped at home (though we compensate with long bike rides and backyard BBQs).

The absolute worst for me is Memorial Day

I think because it is the first taste of summer and the weather was finally getting good, and then having to go back to work on Tuesday :mad:. It is a little easier now because I think to myself not too many more of these to face :). I remember awhile back someone asking me what I was doing this summer. I was momentarily speechless and finally said I am working. He clarified and said he meant did I have any vacation or anything planned. The sad thing is that even if I did what is a week or two over the whole summer? Right now summer = work just like any other season. Do wonder once I FIRE when vacation trips come to an end how much I will mind when I in essence will still be on leisure time anyway.

Yup, anxiety-free Sunday nights are great. It's especially hard going back after a long weekend since I've reached my minimum for FI and the financial need to work has diminished greatly.

+1.
I went to FedEx yesterday (Sunday) to drop off a package, and asked what time it would be picked up Monday. The lady said, Tuesday.....Monday is a holiday.
OOOOps!

I pretend I'm retired every weekend. 😜
I'm doing this now too. I find regular Mondays are getting easier now that I only have 7 months left.

Long holiday weekends are the one time DW and I never travel. Too many working families clogging up the roads.

We always avoid holiday weekends also due to the crowds and traffic.

Thanks for the reminder to put out the flag, like we always do in the summer holidays and on flag day😃. It's amazing how quickly I am getting accustomed to no work stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm really enjoying my 3 day weekend as always, but it sure makes going back to work rough. As I get closer to FIRE, I get more anxious, I'm ready...

Same here. I'm moderately looking forward to this work week because it's short and I start my longest vacation of the year next weekend, but getting back from that will be especially rough.

Jealous of you guys and gals who are already FIRE, lol, seriously I'm proud for you. This weekend is like all the others, I enjoyed it tremendously, but I'm very sad to have to go to work tomorrow. My thoughts of leaving the workplace seem to be all I think of...

I'm doing this now too. I find regular Mondays are getting easier now that I only have 7 months left.

I hope it gets easier for me during my last work months. I have 1 year 3 days to go and it seems to be getting harder to go to work. I have to ignore this little voice that keeps telling me to heck with the extra money and just submit the retirement paperwork now.

Becoming Financially Independent took much of the edge off of going back to w*rk after the weekend. I sort of looked at it as "getting it over with" in terms of time left to serve prior to ER. I found that it wasn't the w*rk I detested, it was the lack of freedom. Once FI, I felt much more free - as in "I can now quit whenever I want to." That was very liberating. YMMV

If it makes you feel any better: For those of you still working, remember that glorious relief and anticipation you were feeling friday afternoon? - now you get the flip side.

Those retired - we don't have the low you feel now, but we didn't get that high you felt on friday either.

Yeah, I know you'd still trade places!

I hope it gets easier for me during my last work months. I have 1 year 3 days to go and it seems to be getting harder to go to work. I have to ignore this little voice that keeps telling me to heck with the extra money and just submit the retirement paperwork now.

Put it in a different perspective:
Only 26 more paydays if you get paid biweekly.
Or only 261 workdays minus holidays, vacation days and sick days.

So easy you could do that standing on you head.

I'm not a fan of weekends. I can't wait for Mondays, when everyone finally gets out of my way and goes back to work so I can have my town back and get my shopping done, and not have to share the pool with a bunch of screaming kids while I'm trying to swim.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

If it makes you feel any better: For those of you still working, remember that glorious relief and anticipation you were feeling friday afternoon? - now you get the flip side.

Those retired - we don't have the low you feel now, but we didn't get that high you felt on friday either.

Yeah, I know you'd still trade places!
Well, although Fridays were nice when I was w*rking, they still don't compare to the joy of Mondays (or for this week, Tuesday).

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

Oh, but we do! Friday is the day we open a new bottle of wine, which we get to enjoy over the weekend. Once it's gone, we wait until the following Friday to open the next. (Our own booze-control if you will.)

It's also still payday - we go to the ATM on Fridays and pull out our weekly mad money amounts, i.e. the money we each get to spend however we wish, no questions asked.

So we still like Fridays in FIRE! :)

Back
Top Bottom