Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

I only use Home Depot's credit card when purchasing certain items at HD, not another bank credit or debit card. Am I at risk with this breach?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1 The protections on debit cards are so poor I'm not sure why anyone would use them for regular purchases. On top of that, the CC that I use doubles the manufacturer's warranty period (excluding vehicles). I collected over $600 from the CC company on some out of warranty repairs to my refrigerator.
Just speculating here, but I would guess that it is the ability to get fee-free "Cash Back" at the grocery store (generally $20 max) avoiding a trip to the bank.

-gauss

Old 09-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #23

Quote:
+1 The protections on debit cards are so poor I'm not sure why anyone would use them for regular purchases.
I'm guilty, but only because by doing at least 10 debit card transactions, I get 1.5% on the first $25K in the account. Usually I force 10 small transactions early in the month then switch to using my Discover IT cash back card. I've often wondered if it's worth $30/mo for the risk, though.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #24

Quote:

I only use Home Depot's credit card when purchasing certain items at HD, not another bank credit or debit card. Am I at risk with this breach?
I don't see how ... not like they can get cash advances from a HD card. But IF they want to renovate ... watch out!

PS - I do the same ... I am not worried. They have bigger fish to fry.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #25

Local HD here will let you return things without a receipt.

So you can charge things up and return them without receipt for cash? Or maybe it's only store credit.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:20 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I signed up for the free Home Depot offer. This morning I got an alert! Oh no!

When I checked, it was for a new credit card I signed up for 3 weeks ago. All OK and above board. But I wonder: how much use is this system if it takes 3 weeks for an alert to be issued?
Old 09-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just noticed this "notice" on our Capital One Account page (it was probably there for awhile):

Quote:
Capital One Alerts

• IMPORTANT MESSAGE ABOUT THE DATA BREACH AT THE HOME DEPOT
    Youíre covered if thereís fraud on your account
    You may have heard: The Home Depot reported that a data breach may have impacted some debit and credit cardholders who shopped in its stores. Weíre monitoring customer accounts for suspicious activity and will contact you if we suspect fraud. Thereís no need to call us unless you see transactions you donít recognize.
    What weíre doing to help you feel secure
    • 24/7 Account Monitoring ó Using sophisticated fraud monitoring tools, we actively monitor accounts 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for suspicious transactions and will contact you if we suspect fraud.
    • Proactive Card Re-Issue ó If we determine that your account is at risk, we may proactively issue you a card with a new account number.
    • $0 Fraud Liability ó As always, youíre covered if thereís fraud on your account.
If you havenít already, we also suggest enrolling in Online Banking - itís an easy way to monitor your account and check for suspicious activity. Signing up for automatic account alerts is another way to stay in the know.
Thanks for your ongoing trust.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Local HD here will let you return things without a receipt.

So you can charge things up and return them without receipt for cash? Or maybe it's only store credit.
Just store credit if you don't have a receipt. Credit on your CC charged if you have a receipt.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I'm guilty, but only because by doing at least 10 debit card transactions, I get 1.5% on the first $25K in the account. Usually I force 10 small transactions early in the month then switch to using my Discover IT cash back card. I've often wondered if it's worth $30/mo for the risk, though.
That is what I do with the debit card. Ours can also be used as a Visa credit card and in the future I'm going to try to force this usage instead of debit.

I looked back and had 3 Home Depot transactions on the Visa debit/credit card between April and June. Will call our credit union this week to maybe get another card issued.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #30

I found a fraudulent charge on my Visa last week while on vacation in Ireland. By the time I messaged my credit union, they had already cancelled my Visa and issued another one, eliminating the fraudulent charge. Apparently they cancelled all credit cards identified in the Home Depot situation and cancelled them.

I do not usually check my accounts while traveling since the wifi is not secure, but this time I did. Lucky thing. Unfortunately this is the 4th or 5th time this has happened in the past 10 years or so. I signed up for the free fraud protection also.

After the first credit card compromise I started checking my credit card transactions daily so I usually catch the fraud when the charged are still pending and not actual transactions.

I always take 2 credit cards and an ATM card with me when I travel out of the country too and this is the second time it has happened while traveling. I'm still waiting for the new card to arrive too.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:10 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Home Depotís Free Identity Protection Offer

I usually use gift cards that earn me gas for my Home Depot purchases, but I did have to use my AMEX card for a few small purchases when I ran out of gift cards. AMEX was aware I used my charge card within the risk period and preemptively issued me a new card with a new account number. I activated the new card a few days ago and low and behold just yesterday I get a call from the AMEX fraud center asking if I had made a charge for $143 and then another for $465 at two different Rite-aid store in Long Beach CA. I told them I have never bought anything at a RiteAid and I am still here in Ohio! So looks like those accounts are definitely being sold on the aftermarket already.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-29-2014, 06:03 AM   #32

Just signed up for the free credit protection offered by HD. Was paying a bill and decided to go back and look, beginning in April. Sure enough, I was spending quite a bit there due to a home project.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Just store credit if you don't have a receipt. Credit on your CC charged if you have a receipt.
Actually, around here, if you buy something at Home Depot with a CC and do not have a receipt, but do have the CC you can return it and get credit on your CC. They are able to pull up the receipt/purchase using the CC number. Very nice feature.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Free credit monitoring is a poor substitute for real data security. It reminds me of wasteful people who donate to a program to plant trees in some third world country as a way of justifying their wasteful habits.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I suppose Equifax is the only way to track ID theft. But a 3-week delay is not very impressive.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

FWIW: This is an e-mail I received today from AllClear, the Home Depot thing I signed up for:

Quote:
Quote:
Monthly Fraud Detection Report
No Suspicious Activity Found
Dear Ronald,
This email indicates that you are AllClear™.
Your AllClear ID protection includes Fraud Detection. Here's how Fraud Detection works:
  • Information is reported from a wide assortment of non-credit bureau sources, including retailers, financial institutions, technology companies, academic researchers, consumer advocates and government agencies.
  • Information reported includes compromised Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, PIN numbers, bank account logins, and other online logins (emails & passwords).
  • AllClear ID alerts you when your information is reported so we can take action to help protect your identity.
Should our Fraud Detection service find any activity in the future, you will be alerted by a phone call.
Please note: Fraud Detection monitors different sources than credit monitoring. This report does not include activity detected or reported to you through the credit monitoring service. If new activity is detected through credit monitoring you will be alerted by phone.
Thank you for using AllClear ID to protect your identity. We will continue monitoring for fraud to help you stay on top of threats to your identity.

Jamie May
Chief Investigator & VP of Customer Services

I guess I will give them the benefit of the doubt but...
Old 10-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
I usually use gift cards that earn me gas for my Home Depot purchases, but I did have to use my AMEX card for a few small purchases when I ran out of gift cards. AMEX was aware I used my charge card within the risk period and preemptively issued me a new card with a new account number. I activated the new card a few days ago and low and behold just yesterday I get a call from the AMEX fraud center asking if I had made a charge for $143 and then another for $465 at two different Rite-aid store in Long Beach CA. I told them I have never bought anything at a RiteAid and I am still here in Ohio! So looks like those accounts are definitely being sold on the aftermarket already.

That's strange as I also used my AMEX 5 times at HD and have not heard a peep from AMEX.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I just signed up also. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #39

So after having fraud actually occur on my account, how do I get the extra monitoring protection offered through Home Depot?

Old 10-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
So after having fraud actually occur on my account, how do I get the extra monitoring protection offered through Home Depot?
I would think you should just ask. The only thing they (Home Depot) needed from me was a receipt... and only the number actually. They, then, confirmed the purchase and gave me a "code" to give to AllClear. AllClear, then, asked a bunch of questions and then started monitoring all of my accounts on HD's dime. Anyway, try and see.